PDA

View Full Version : How to get the perch to bite

capper
01-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Was at the lake over the weekend and had many large perch come in but they just wouldn't bite. Tried smaller hooks in diffrent colors, diffrent jigging methods, dead stick, nothing. What's your go too technic when the just don't want to bite.

dbllung
01-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Some times they get lock jaw and there is nothing you can do BUT most times 2 freshwater shrimp on a size 14 hook 6 inches under a small silver flashing spoon will do the trick.. That is my lock jaw remedy !

Double-Eh
01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
PM sent

Moefoe
01-12-2015, 03:34 PM
I put a 2"-3" flouro tag with a small treble tipped with maggots along with a spoon...works every time!!

cube
01-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Was at the lake over the weekend and had many large perch come in but they just wouldn't bite. Tried smaller hooks in diffrent colors, diffrent jigging methods, dead stick, nothing. What's your go too technic when the just don't want to bite.

Are you sight fishing and able to see the fish? Are you using a sonar device? Are you using a camera?

lambski
01-12-2015, 04:27 PM
light line 2 or 4 pound test and the smallest tear drop u can find, silver.

Red Bullets
01-12-2015, 04:31 PM
1 inch minnows on a single hook. Perch are like pike, they will pick up the minnow, swim a few feet with it and then swallow the minnow.
Or small shrimp.

I like to jig using more af a steady tremble rather than bigger jigging motions. You feel the pick up better too.

bwackwabbit
01-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Hali rig... I always have a Palm Rod w/ one rigged 'n ready for just this scenario.

Also if u can, mealworms make 'em bite!

pinelakeperch
01-12-2015, 05:31 PM
If you're using a flasher or can see the fish, try raising your bait a few inches. If you can get the fish to rise and follow the bait, they should strike.

EZM
01-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Not just for perch .... but sometimes when fish, in general, are being difficult I drum my fingers on the rod just enough to send down "a positive vibe" and it seems to work sometimes.

Jack&7
01-12-2015, 07:21 PM
If you're using a flasher or can see the fish, try raising your bait a few inches. If you can get the fish to rise and follow the bait, they should strike.

This...guaranteed. They will come in and take a long look. Slowly start to raise your hook and it is almost like they have this uber-competitive streak that says "OMG...it's getting away from me...better grab it before one my brothers does!!!!"

I also use this technique with sluggish pike....

capper
01-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the advise I'll be out this weekend putting it to the test. I have a flasher and I continued to watch fish come in and swim away so I sent up the tent to watch some of the action. Seemed like most of the fish stayed a good 6" away from the hook, had the odd one come up and nip the bait but if I missed that initial strike that fish was gone. I have to admit I normally like fishing outside but watching those perch is pretty dame fun if you can put up with a sore neck lol.

bwackwabbit
01-12-2015, 08:38 PM
You could also try any of the hook/bait combos suggested above under a bobber and you will see those strikes much better.

This method increased my catch rate on stocked trout lakes by 50%.

spinN'flyfish
01-12-2015, 09:23 PM
You could also try any of the hook/bait combos suggested above under a bobber and you will see those strikes much better.

This method increased my catch rate on stocked trout lakes by 50%.

X2

MBOBREL
01-13-2015, 12:01 PM
love your kegriver quote!

cube
01-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the advise I'll be out this weekend putting it to the test. I have a flasher and I continued to watch fish come in and swim away so I sent up the tent to watch some of the action. Seemed like most of the fish stayed a good 6" away from the hook, had the odd one come up and nip the bait but if I missed that initial strike that fish was gone. I have to admit I normally like fishing outside but watching those perch is pretty dame fun if you can put up with a sore neck lol.

Since you are sight fishing or using sonar do as jhutter suggested. As they come in for a closer look raise your lure and just quiver it. Keep raising your lure as they follow it they will generally bite at this time. If however they lose interest quickly drop your lure to the bottom and pound it a couple of times raise it up and start over. I have found that pounding the lure into the bottom can get their attention again a fair bit of the time.

This works most of the time but there are still days when the fish are just lookers and not biters.

huntsfurfish
01-13-2015, 01:39 PM
If a slow rise doesnt work, try a slow fall to the bottom and let it sit for a bit, then just barely move.:):):)

Wild&Free
01-13-2015, 02:26 PM
If you have a dead one on the ice. Use an eye for bait. They don't like being stared at.

Jack&7
01-13-2015, 10:21 PM
If you have a dead one on the ice. Use an eye for bait. They don't like being stared at.

oh yeah....forgot to mention this too. Perch are sick little buggers!

dgitz
01-14-2015, 12:34 AM
Also if you lift up and they swim under it try to drop it on their head. They take it pretty fierce if you hit them right.

curtis_rak
01-14-2015, 07:59 PM
My go-to Perch lure is the Hali Jig in Firetiger color with the Firetiger bead on the single hook. Tipped with two or 3 maggots.

In my experience it will always catch perch if they are around. It will even catch the odd walleye

capper
01-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out. We got up early and got to the lake before sun up. We were on the fish right away but it seemed to be a repeat of previous weeks, the smaller ones would bite but the jumbos would swim in and out with no interest. I went down the list from dropper chains to bro bugs, j-hook and bobber to rattling spoons. all seemed to catch fish but none got the interest of the fish we were after. Finally got the combo right, round green jig head tipped with a minnow head. it was a little late in the day by the time I figured it out but managed to ice 6 between 12-13.5". Pictures to follow.

Sundancefisher
01-18-2015, 11:28 AM

Catching perch - the gear (http://www.iwanttofish.com/app/dkfish/NewsArticlesLanding.php?cid=1&show=44)

Catching perch - the technique (http://www.iwanttofish.com/app/dkfish/NewsArticlesLanding.php?cid=1&show=45)

This works for me

Hope it helps

spinN'flyfish
01-18-2015, 01:51 PM
you could also try a perch eye on a jig, pretty effective