PDA

View Full Version : Burbot recipes?

Fyi
01-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Anyone have any good Burbot recipes that they would care to share or how they like to cook em up?

SKSniper
01-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Lol, im just about to cook mine up too. I cover the fillets in shake n bake and quickly cook them in hot oil in a frying pan. Tastes like fishy chicken!

bubba 96
01-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Cut em in cubes boil em in salt water dip in butter...... Poor mans lobster..

Fyi
01-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Lol, im just about to cook mine up too. I cover the fillets in shake n bake and quickly cook them in hot oil in a frying pan. Tastes like fishy chicken!

Ya man I made my own shake and bake and did them up all nice in some hot oil then squeezed lemon on top but I want to try that boil in saltwater and then dip them in butter like the other fellow wrote. :fishing:

Red Bullets
01-12-2015, 08:42 PM
I like this batter, and deep fried.

Dry Pancake Mix. Make the batter like it says on the box but instead of milk or water... use ginger ale for the liquid. I add gome granulated garlic & onion and pepper to the batter too. Salt optional. I don't use it.

Dry the fish pieces, dip into batter and deep fry. Use deep fryers instructions for fish. If the oil gets too hot, the batter crust browns too quick. Oil shouldn't be more than 170C (375F) degrees. Don't overcrowd the fish pieces in the oil. When the batter is golden brown its done.

---

Homemade seafood sauce to go with the fish. Pretty well the same kind you have with shrimp cocktails at restaurants.

A blob of Ketchup, a smidgeon of granulated garlic & onion, just a pinch of dry lemon zest, a dash of lemon juice, mild horseradish to taste. Mix everything together. (If you want a more bold seafood sauce use sweet chili sauce instead of ketchup.)

crownb
01-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Cut em in cubes boil em in salt water dip in butter...... Poor mans lobster..

This is the only way, so good!!!!! I can't catch enough to keep my kids happy.

Fyi
01-12-2015, 11:11 PM
How long do you boil the chunks for?

silverdoctor
01-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Any fish I get tends to get fried - hot cast iron skillet with a bit of butter and salt/pepper. Trick to frying fish is don't mess with it, when it's crusted up, flip it but only once. Never tried burbot but it's supposed to be good.

rafhone
01-13-2015, 12:05 AM
Last year i cooked a Badger Lake burbot for ice shore lunch fried with just a salt and pepper rub. I think it might have been the best tasting fish i've ever cooked.

crownb
01-13-2015, 08:01 AM
How long do you boil the chunks for?

I would cut the chunks to 1 inch by 1 inch and throw them into the boiling water, they are cooked when they float. Probably a few minutes. Make sure your garlic butter is ready to go. We usually don't leave the stove to eat, so good.

bubba 96
01-13-2015, 09:52 AM
I would cut the chunks to 1 inch by 1 inch and throw them into the boiling water, they are cooked when they float. Probably a few minutes. Make sure your garlic butter is ready to go. We usually don't leave the stove to eat, so good.

X'2....never usually make's it to far from our stove as well...

Dean2
01-13-2015, 11:09 AM
One more vote for boiled in salt water. I actually boil them in the Salt water in larger chunks, (make sure the water is boiling hard before dropping them in) they curl up and look just like a fresh Lobster tail. As soon as they float up, pull them out, they are ready to eat.

If you didn't tell anyone they would never know it wasn't lobster. Have served it as steak and lobster, there was Rib steak left over but none of the pho Lobster was left.

The Reel Deal
01-13-2015, 05:20 PM
i get fish batter from Bulk Barn, which i dont think is too far off from pancake batter. im off to get some burbs tomorrow night - cant wait!

reddeerhunter
01-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Hey all, here is how I make poor mans lobster----

In a pot with about 6cups water, add a splash of vinegar, teaspoon of salt, a good dash of allspice say half 1/4 teaspoon and about a quarter of an onion finely chopped.

Add cubes of Burb just before it boils. Boil for about ten mins. Drain water.

Dip in hot garlic butter.

I used to work in a lobster plant and ate a ton of lobster. This is very much equal. YUM.

Enjoy and happy fishing and eating.

RDH.

Moonwalker
01-14-2015, 08:36 AM
Can you use pike and walleye with these poor man lobster recipes?

Dean2
01-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Can you use pike and walleye with these poor man lobster recipes?

It can be cooked that way and tastes good but it doesn't have the same Lobster flavour the Burbot has.

silverdoctor
01-14-2015, 10:28 AM
It can be cooked that way and tastes good but it doesn't have the same Lobster flavour the Burbot has.

Interestingly, lobster used to be a poor mans food.

stubblejumper01
01-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Another angler at Canyon Creek told me this one. Cut into small chunks, wrap in bacon and bake in the oven like scallops. Eat em when bacon is done. The wife loves this