PDA

View Full Version : Magic depth? Ice fishing

220 Swift
01-13-2015, 04:02 AM
So this is like asking favorite hunting spot im guessing.
And probably ever changing. How much weeds fo you look for or avoid ?

Walleye?

Jack ? 6-10'?

Ice thickness included please.

huntsfurfish
01-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Thats easy, 2' to 30'

tonypower
01-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Bazinga!!

Wild&Free
01-13-2015, 01:19 PM
I prefer to fish at the depth where I get the most bites.

that could be 2' below the ice in 18' of water, or at 22' in 23' of water.

hope that helps

fisho_badyk
01-13-2015, 03:33 PM
There are a lot more factors such as what lake you're fishing in, is there current, water clarity, nearby structure, etc.
I've caught pike in winter in water shallower than the thickness of the ice, but have also caught them in 20'+.
Generally, i'm suspending a deadbait in 4-10' of water for pike.
Walleye are a complete toss-up though, and success comes with a lot of trial and error.

EZM
01-13-2015, 08:43 PM
That's a tough question ...... I don't often set up shallower than 7-8 targeting pike or walleye, and, I actually prefer deeper with all things considered ( like 14-16 ft ).

I will say, however, fishing in 6 feet of water where it drops off a large shallow flat and drops to a shelf is going to be better than fishing 14 feet of water where there is no structure, cover, or forage.

Other species .... depends on the time of year .... from first ice and into January .... look for whites shallow ...... after that they begin to hang out in opn water suspended over deep areas.

Brookies - 2-5ft up until Christmas .... then, same thing, they go deeper and scatter.

Pike and walleye go where there is food and cover during ice season (they don't spawn in fall and winter under the ice like other species) but you might find them staging toward the end of the ice season in shallower water.

I think about "where the fish are" depending on their habits (spawn) and their individual needs for forage and cover.

220 Swift
01-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Thanks for your replies.

curtis_rak
01-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Yesterday at lac la nonne I drilled about 30 holes in various places. I seen walleye, sometimes in pairs, starting at 6 FOW all the way to 18 FOW. There were also pike all through this entire depth range and whites were seen starting at 10 FOW.

I found the most productive was 10 FOW.

And I'd say that 8-14' is my typical fishing depth range in the winter time. And I typically avoid large flats and stick to any type of drop off. Sometimes if they aren't biting it's just a matter of drilling a new hole 20yds away where it's a few feet deeper and you might find the fish.