PDA

View Full Version : Getting my PAL

7 REM MAG
04-04-2007, 11:52 PM
i just turned 18 and am wondering if anyone has info for getting my PAL, I am in edmonton and know that there is somewhere to take the test close by but i dont know who or where to get in contact with. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks 7

Dick284
04-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Call any of the gun shops in Edmonton, they all have contact info for courses, I know Phoenix Range does the courses right there.
Here's their #
Phoenix Indoor Range & Gun Shop
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6B 0A3
4706 - 76 Avenue
PHONE: 780-466-0307
FAX: 780-468-2903
Email: info@PhoenixRange.com

7 REM MAG
04-05-2007, 12:01 AM
thanks dick

sheep hunter
04-05-2007, 12:02 AM
AHEIA or Alberta Fish and Game Association both offer courses.

BigBullAdventures
04-05-2007, 12:30 AM
AHEIA has a course coming up next week. Contact them at:

edmontoninfo@aheia.com (edmontoninfo@aheia.com)

BigBull

WCTHEMI
04-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Wild West at the mall also puts those courses on.

Scott N
04-05-2007, 02:34 AM
If possible, take your RPAL at the same time, even if you don't plan on buying a handgun anytime soon.

Ontarget
04-05-2007, 01:58 PM
P&D downtown also does the course
420-6419

shotgun
04-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I agree get your restricted at the same time. I did and I currently have no intention of buying a handgun....that is until they start getting serious about banning them altogether...then I will buy as many as I can afford.

7 REM MAG
04-05-2007, 05:14 PM
ya that was my plan, is the course necessary? ive been around guns my entire life and have taken 3 or 4 outdoor ed courses. also for the restricted test is it just handguns?
thanks for the info 7

nafegavas
04-05-2007, 05:34 PM
You can buy the book or borrow it from the library and challenge the test.

Viking Caliber
02-05-2017, 03:44 PM
7 Rem Mag,

Yes it is necessary. Even as a ex soldier, We have to get a PAL. With all the training we'd get from the Service it doesn't cross over. We have to apply and take the course like everyone else. Doesn't matter If you 2 years or like me 10 years of military training, the government doesn't see it that way. You will still need the course but shop around first to see who offers it at lower rate than others.

Restricted covers not only Handguns but any weapon that is classified restricted by the government. Restricted Pal is a must have for ownership of Handguns. As you will learn in the course you have to be a member at range that allows handguns and will need a transport permit for transporting it from residence to range and back.
I only have a Non Restricted PAL, since it is what I like to shoot and handguns isn't my forte. I have shot military issued and civilian handguns before but like I said they are not my forte.
Choose the path that's best for you. Since buying a rifle, a handgun and ammo can put a dent in your wallet at times think about what your planning to buy it for ahead of time, don't rush into it.

Viking Caliber

elkhunter11
02-05-2017, 03:52 PM
7 Rem Mag,

Yes it is necessary. Even as a ex soldier, We have to get a PAL. With all the training we'd get from the Service it doesn't cross over. We have to apply and take the course like everyone else. Doesn't matter If you 2 years or like me 10 years of military training, the government doesn't see it that way. You still nee the course but shop around first to see who offers it at lower rate than others.

Viking Caliber

Being that you are responding to a 10 year old thread,I would hope that he has a PAL now.:)

Newview01
02-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Being that you are responding to a 10 year old thread,I would hope that he has a PAL now.:)

Well lately the wait times have been getting bad I have heard :)

Viking Caliber
02-05-2017, 04:06 PM
:scared0018:
:sEm_oops2:

sorry my bad. Didn't even see the date.one would hope

WesternAlien
02-06-2017, 11:46 AM
:scared0018:
:sEm_oops2:

sorry my bad. Didn't even see the date.one would hope

Yea, sometimes easy to miss even when you are not new to forum :-)

As for needing PAL course for former military - it is better idea than it may first seem. I had both military training and sport shooting in my past life (not here). But I was pleased with the much wider variety that the PAL course exposed to me. It covers pretty much any type a licensed person may encounter in following years, that might not have been present in some narrow professional field. I don't know, maybe Canadian Forces shoot everything including black powder or use lever or pump actions :-) . But I had not seen such stuff before (nor the shotguns, for the note). So course was really interesting and helpful and made me safe to meet those "other" things out there :-).