PDA

View Full Version : fishing in grande prairie area.

master-angler
01-14-2015, 09:20 PM
I moved to grande prairie recently and I'm looking for different places to ice fish.. I fish snipe all the time and catch various types of fish outta there bit need some help in finding another spot. Was out on swan today for four hours and not even a hit but was wondering about spring lake and kakut lake or any other lakes for that matter.
Any help would be awesome.

Happy fishing
Masterangler

norwestalta
01-14-2015, 10:16 PM
You could try one island lake.

finner-duramax
01-14-2015, 11:07 PM
I moved to grande prairie recently and I'm looking for different places to ice fish.. I fish snipe all the time and catch various types of fish outta there bit need some help in finding another spot. Was out on swan today for four hours and not even a hit but was wondering about spring lake and kakut lake or any other lakes for that matter.
Any help would be awesome.

Happy fishing
Masterangler

I have a cabin near Kakut, just a small trout pond.
Easy to catch your limit there in the summer, was told there are some bigger trout in there but have never seen one. Was told there was perch in there as well. I haven't fished it in a while but worth a shot

Wild&Free
01-14-2015, 11:58 PM
I fished spring lake once when I lived up there. was about this time of year. went about 100m straight out from the dock and caught about 10 or 12 fish, more rainbow then brooks, nothing over 13". Was out for about 2 hours. it's a nice spot though, should check it out it's worth the drive.

DiabeticKripple
01-15-2015, 12:09 AM
sturgeon lake is good for walleye and pike, and whitefish in the winter

Wild&Free
01-15-2015, 01:34 AM
If you don't mind the drive to snipe, check out the stocked lakes around Fairview. some good sized rainbows in the lakes to the east. Moonshine west of spirit river has browns stocked in it as well as rainbows. it's aerated so be careful.

master-angler
01-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the tips guy. I'll be out fishing in the next few days and post about my adventures.. I've only ever fished moonshine once in the summer and it was good will have to try on the hard water.. Try to get a big Ole brown.as for all the other little lakes guess it's gonna be trial and error.. First comment was about one island Lake anyone know what kind fish are in there

Happy fishing

norwestalta
01-15-2015, 07:12 AM
Rainbows is all I've caught at 1 island. Its been years since I've fished there.

kcward
01-15-2015, 08:09 AM
Rainbows is all I've caught at 1 island. Its been years since I've fished there.

In One Island there are Rainbow, Brook and Cutthroat Trout. I have friends that go there in the summer all the time, but I haven't fished it. I hear they are harder to catch, but larger size in the lake. Thinking of trying it this year.

I have the IFish AB and BC app, it can give you quite a bit of info as well. I checked and there is no lake condition feedback from this year yet. It is a BC lake though, so you would need your BC non-resident license.

rcales
01-15-2015, 08:30 AM
lived up in dawson for years, there are no cutties in that lake. be nice to the locals, they love all the people from GP that over populate "their" little lake

kcward
01-15-2015, 01:43 PM
lived up in dawson for years, there are no cutties in that lake. be nice to the locals, they love all the people from GP that over populate "their" little lake

Thanks for letting us know, I was going by the IFish BC app that lists the fish types...they also have Rainbows listed in Charlie Lake and I lived in FSJ for 7 years fishing there weekly and never heard of Rainbows...

rcales
01-15-2015, 06:12 PM
no bows in that lake, good walleye fishing tho

albertahunter
01-20-2016, 11:42 AM
sturgeon lake is good for walleye and pike, and whitefish in the winter

Where are you catching whites on Sturgeon in the winter?

DiabeticKripple
01-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Where are you catching whites on Sturgeon in the winter?

I haven't ice fished there since I was a kid, but I remember hauling them out of there.

Saw lots of dead ones this summer from the water temps / algae.