PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping on the ice in outfitters tent.

Gboe8
01-15-2015, 09:05 PM
As the title says I'm planning on setting up my tent next weekend with my cousin and brother for a three day fishing trip. I've never done this or seen anyone do it in my mind it should work but maybe I'm out to lunch. Has any one ever done this if so any info would be appreciated, like what worked for you and what didn't work thanks.

elk eater
01-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Done it before and if you plan on staying right on the lake take your rubber boots cause it's gonna be wet !!! On the plus side no need to bring a humidifier. Also take a drill to properly stake down your tent. One good wind and fishing trips over. May want to think about staying on shore and fishing like everybody else. Or what the hell it's an adventure. Maybe try an igloo with no stove of course. Good luck.

VanIsleGuy
01-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Just be careful with proper ventilation using a propane heater. Too many accidents in that scenario.

Have fun!

Gboe8
01-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Done it before and if you plan on staying right on the lake take your rubber boots cause it's gonna be wet !!! On the plus side no need to bring a humidifier. Also take a drill to properly stake down your tent. One good wind and fishing trips over. May want to think about staying on shore and fishing like everybody else. Or what the hell it's an adventure. Maybe try an igloo with no stove of course. Good luck.

We'll I'm going to take screw in pegs I tested that all ready so I will be able to anchor the tent. Found a few threads on Google and seems it's been done before a few times with success I'll take pictures if it works out.

Gboe8
01-15-2015, 10:28 PM
Just be careful with proper ventilation using a propane heater. Too many accidents in that scenario.

Have fun!

I'm going to use a wood burning stove no propane, and put in about a foot off the ground with a 3/4" ply wood floor and carpet on top of that. So that should take care of melting water

Who Da Fisherman
01-15-2015, 10:31 PM
As the title says I'm planning on setting up my tent next weekend with my cousin and brother for a three day fishing trip. I've never done this or seen anyone do it in my mind it should work but maybe I'm out to lunch. Has any one ever done this if so any info would be appreciated, like what worked for you and what didn't work thanks.

I will send some pics tomorrow on how we set up ours.
We evolved over the years from 1 tent to 2 with bunks (slept up to 5) for the one and cook shack/poker room in the other. It was some work but the times we had were memorable. 12 years doing the badger derby 3 nights 4 days it was great:sHa_shakeshout:
Wood stoves in both, when it got cold the guys in the motor homes would come over and warm up in our tents lol.
WDF

finner-duramax
01-15-2015, 10:33 PM
I've done it before, from experience. Make sure to secure the tent to the ice really well.
It got windy when we did it and it was a nightmare. Really take your time and set it up very well.

Young_Gun
01-15-2015, 10:42 PM
Did this a few years ago, we were in a 10 man tent. Our big thing was bringing a few bails of hay to insulate the floor, helps a lot with the "flooding". Bring cots, and a good idea with the wood stove off the ground haha. Use a garbage bag or think poly to land fish on if you are planning on punching holes in there.

Gboe8
01-15-2015, 11:01 PM
I will send some pics tomorrow on how we set up ours.
We evolved over the years from 1 tent to 2 with bunks (slept up to 5) for the one and cook shack/poker room in the other. It was some work but the times we had were memorable. 12 years doing the badger derby 3 nights 4 days it was great:sHa_shakeshout:
Wood stoves in both, when it got cold the guys in the motor homes would come over and warm up in our tents lol.
WDF

Would love to see the pics!!

Gboe8
01-15-2015, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the tips and ideas so far guys.

.270fan
01-15-2015, 11:08 PM
I've done it before, from experience. Make sure to secure the tent to the ice really well.
It got windy when we did it and it was a nightmare. Really take your time and set it up very well.

Agree 100% just about got blown away !!

we also drilled a few partial thickness holes near the stove to catch melt water

chimpac
01-16-2015, 05:46 AM
6"or 7" ring (pole barn) nails will hold any thing you pitch on the ice.
Each nail might need a washer.
Cover up the nail with snow so the sun or warm air cannot get to it.
Use vise grips, claw hammer get them out but give them a hit inward first.

Rockjockey
01-16-2015, 10:38 AM
We have a wall tent on Slave every year with a wood stove to give a guy a place to get out of the cold. We use ice anchors and have had it up in 40k winds without incident, a pain in the arse to take down in the wind but not impossible.

If you are going to sleep in it and there is any flood water DON'T DRILL HOLES inside the tent or near it. Give yourself at least 30ft of space from the nearest hole. If you don't and do punch a hole you will need the rubber boots. If the flood water is bad it will be an instant Oh Sh!t moment and if the flood water is not to bad it may take a couple hours to filter into your tent space.
Also on the stove, buy some of the wood pellets and if it is getting cold dump a cupfull into the stove and you will have instant heat.

Hope that helps
RJ

Okotokian
01-16-2015, 10:40 AM
I'd be worried about drunk on a snowmobile in the middle of the night.

Rockjockey
01-16-2015, 10:45 AM

Are you going to be out on the lakes this weekend, Oko?

HaHa
That was way to easy!

theycallmeNoah
01-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Agree 100% just about got blown away !!

we also drilled a few partial thickness holes near the stove to catch melt water

You should tell them about how our chimney got blown in half, or how our cook stove went sliding across the ice.

Secure everything!!!!

Okotokian
01-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Are you going to be out on the lakes this weekend, Oko?

HaHa
That was way to easy!

I don't own a snowmobile. A walking drunk poses little danger. ;)

Rockjockey
01-16-2015, 11:02 AM
You should tell them about how our chimney got blown in half, or how our cook stove went sliding across the ice.

Secure everything!!!!

That is a good point. Our tent has the ring in the roof and we secure our chimney to the frame inside the tent with wire and check it on a routine bases to make sure it is tight and the stove hasn't went off kilter. The wire makes for a great place to dry gloves.

RJ

Gboe8
01-16-2015, 11:13 AM
We have a wall tent on Slave every year with a wood stove to give a guy a place to get out of the cold. We use ice anchors and have had it up in 40k winds without incident, a pain in the arse to take down in the wind but not impossible.

If you are going to sleep in it and there is any flood water DON'T DRILL HOLES inside the tent or near it. Give yourself at least 30ft of space from the nearest hole. If you don't and do punch a hole you will need the rubber boots. If the flood water is bad it will be an instant Oh Sh!t moment and if the flood water is not to bad it may take a couple hours to filter into your tent space.
Also on the stove, buy some of the wood pellets and if it is getting cold dump a cupfull into the stove and you will have instant heat.

Hope that helps
RJ

Thanks for the tips. No flood water last few times I've been out. And tent is mainly going to be for sleeping but may try drilling a cupel holes if we don't have flood water and see how it works out. Super pumped to try this out.

Gboe8
01-16-2015, 11:18 AM
That is a good point. Our tent has the ring in the roof and we secure our chimney to the frame inside the tent with wire and check it on a routine bases to make sure it is tight and the stove hasn't went off kilter. The wire makes for a great place to dry gloves.

RJ

Thanks I'll bring a roll of wire. My list is getting longer see if I can get it off the driveway ha.

EZM
01-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Definitely put a floor in if you are running heat for maore than a day or two ......

We used to do this all the time on long trips where we set up wall tents on the ice.

We had 6 pcs. of 4 x 8 sheets strapped with 1 x 4's (or 1 x 6's in our case as we salvaged some fence boards) to make a 12 x 16 floor for a 10 x 14 tent.

Just get out to the spot, lay it out and you are good to go. Trickiest part is numbering the sheets and having the adjoining sheets match up as one sheet will have the 1 x 4 about 2" proud, while the mating piece does not have the 1 x 4 on that edge.

We had used gate ring hardware to match up where the tent needs to be secured to the sheet and drill out for where the poles sat to keep them from sliding.

We used this just for sleeping, but I guess you could cut out an area for an ice fishing hole.

If you want send me the size of the tent and I can draw it up for you.

Having the 1 x 4 gives some air flow underneath the floor to limit the water and a cool zone that keeps the ice surface somewhat ventilated with cool air underneath.

Worked Great. Takes an hour of work in the garage, goes into the truck bed easy, and easy to set up in a few minutes. This little extra work and effort is huge if you are out there for more than a day or two.

WildOrchid
01-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Sounds like fun. I wish you an awesome time.

I haven't tried myself on ice however sleeping in a lean too on top of the snow I found using an inflatable mattress with a space blanket underneath a big difference as well decently rated sleeping bag. We picked a few of the mattresses up at the military surplus store for a great deal and they roll up nice. I was cheap the first time lol.. brrrrrrRr

It would be cool to see your camp if you are able to take pic's and post them. :)

Happy fishing!!!

ineptflux
01-16-2015, 12:32 PM
We sleep on the ice one to two times a month. The only worry we've had was how loud the ice gets at 3-4am while you're trying to sleep. Other than that each time out has been a positive. Coldest temps we slept in has been -35C, but we're equipped with winter/alpine camping gear.

FreshAirGetter
01-16-2015, 12:40 PM
When you sleep out there do you leave tip ups out or a string around your toe? :-) I'll be sleeping in a truck this weekend...so uncomfortable, but yeah, not willing to set up much and don't trust the ice at Cold Lake...

Red Bullets
01-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Take an ax or chisel along to chop out the stuff that might freeze into the ice.

Park your vehicle on the up wind side of your tent to help break potential blasts and anchor your tent to.

With your wood stove, if it is an airtight, put an inch of sand on the bottom. That way if you are burning hot you don't burn out the bottom of the stove.
If you can... take along a couple lumps of coal to stoke the fire with at bedtime.

You mentioned carpet on the floor under the stove. Tin under the stove would be safer.

Also...Point your truck towards where you drove on in case of fog. Oddly enough, one time fog closed in real good when I was out and it would have been extremely easy to get lost. The wind had blown in all tire tracks over the course of the day too so there was no trail to follow back.

ineptflux
01-16-2015, 01:11 PM
When you sleep out there do you leave tip ups out or a string around your toe? :-) I'll be sleeping in a truck this weekend...so uncomfortable, but yeah, not willing to set up much and don't trust the ice at Cold Lake...

Cold lake is the lake we always sleep on, lol. I always pull my stuff up.

Gboe8
01-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Definitely put a floor in if you are running heat for maore than a day or two ......

We used to do this all the time on long trips where we set up wall tents on the ice.

We had 6 pcs. of 4 x 8 sheets strapped with 1 x 4's (or 1 x 6's in our case as we salvaged some fence boards) to make a 12 x 16 floor for a 10 x 14 tent.

Just get out to the spot, lay it out and you are good to go. Trickiest part is numbering the sheets and having the adjoining sheets match up as one sheet will have the 1 x 4 about 2" proud, while the mating piece does not have the 1 x 4 on that edge.

We had used gate ring hardware to match up where the tent needs to be secured to the sheet and drill out for where the poles sat to keep them from sliding.

We used this just for sleeping, but I guess you could cut out an area for an ice fishing hole.

If you want send me the size of the tent and I can draw it up for you.

Having the 1 x 4 gives some air flow underneath the floor to limit the water and a cool zone that keeps the ice surface somewhat ventilated with cool air underneath.

Worked Great. Takes an hour of work in the garage, goes into the truck bed easy, and easy to set up in a few minutes. This little extra work and effort is huge if you are out there for more than a day or two.

It's a 12x14 that sounds like a great idea I was planning on bringing 4x4s and nailing 3/4" ply wood to it but this idea sounds like take down May be a lot quicker with your way.

Gboe8
01-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Take an ax or chisel along to chop out the stuff that might freeze into the ice.

Park your vehicle on the up wind side of your tent to help break potential blasts and anchor your tent to.

With your wood stove, if it is an airtight, put an inch of sand on the bottom. That way if you are burning hot you don't burn out the bottom of the stove.
If you can... take along a couple lumps of coal to stoke the fire with at bedtime.

You mentioned carpet on the floor under the stove. Tin under the stove would be safer.

Also...Point your truck towards where you drove on in case of fog. Oddly enough, one time fog closed in real good when I was out and it would have been extremely easy to get lost. The wind had blown in all tire tracks over the course of the day too so there was no trail to follow back.

Thanks for the ideas I'm bringing two blocks to put my stove on. And that's a good tip with truck for blocking wind.

Gboe8
01-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Sounds like fun. I wish you an awesome time.

I haven't tried myself on ice however sleeping in a lean too on top of the snow I found using an inflatable mattress with a space blanket underneath a big difference as well decently rated sleeping bag. We picked a few of the mattresses up at the military surplus store for a great deal and they roll up nice. I was cheap the first time lol.. brrrrrrRr

It would be cool to see your camp if you are able to take pic's and post them. :)

Happy fishing!!!

Thanks I'll post pics when I'm back!

Red Bullets
01-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the ideas I'm bringing two blocks to put my stove on. And that's a good tip with truck for blocking wind.

As long as there is no flood water. The weight of the truck could cause some extra water.

Who Da Fisherman
01-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Would love to see the pics!!

Here are some

FreshAirGetter
01-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Here are some

Wow, if that's what you do for a day or two of fishing, I'd hate to see your hunting camp! :-)

zepf
01-16-2015, 03:58 PM
I made my own pegs outa rebar.Approx a foot long witha 3inch top piece to make a T shape peg.Plunge the bar of the chain saw into the ice to make a pilot hole.If you need more info let me know... zepf

Gboe8
01-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Here are some

That looks like one dam nice fishing camp! I'm going to bring a generator for lighting and what not in the tent as we'll.

Gboe8
01-16-2015, 08:11 PM
I made my own pegs outa rebar.Approx a foot long witha 3inch top piece to make a T shape peg.Plunge the bar of the chain saw into the ice to make a pilot hole.If you need more info let me know... zepf
Sure that might work then my idea of the screw in pegs. This is going to be a big learning experience this trip.

Tinsmith1952
01-18-2015, 02:33 PM
I am a semi retired gent. I live in Claresholm. I am looking for an ice fishing buddy. I am usually available weekends and some weekdays. I usually fish Keho, Clear and Badger lakes going after pike and walleyes. I haven't gone after trout for many years but would be interested in going after them.

Tigger72
01-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Here is my buddy's tent that we're in right now

Burbotism
01-18-2015, 10:59 PM

You're right!! We almost got hit by that drunk snowmobiler in the middle of the night at Cold Lake last year..

dalesilvertip
01-20-2015, 07:27 AM
Nice looking tent,looks like stovepipe has some sort of cladding? What is the purpose?

travrgtr
01-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Here is my buddy's tent that we're in right now
How long did it take you to clear your spot with that loader?

Mister Muskeg
01-30-2015, 08:25 PM
After reading and viewing the pics from the responders, I want to take days off and go do some fishing.

We normally go out for 4-5 days in March. Have never set up on the ice, always on shore. Can't beat a day of fishing, a wood stove, a shot or 15 of Gibsons, and no driving home.

Gboe8
01-31-2015, 03:41 PM
We'll we did three nights on the lake in the tent learned a lot of things, it was a great time when I get a chance I will post some pics. Thanks for all the advice everyone gave us.

CenterPin
01-31-2015, 04:06 PM
I have a 10x12 wall tent im planning on staying in on cold lake for the weekend. Ive used a bigger one with a wood stove before, but I wanna use my big buddy heater with the twin burner in my smaller tent. Anyone have an idea if this will be enough heat or should I plan on 2 heaters?

bucksman
02-02-2015, 09:24 AM

hahahahahahahahah

Tigger72
02-02-2015, 10:18 AM

NICE.... no front loader just a shovel to flatten out the bumps then we put down 2" 4x9 sheets of hard foam nice stove in the corner and we were running around in socks....lol... When we tore down there was still snow under the insulation... worked pretty good....

bucksman
02-02-2015, 11:38 AM
mustve taken awhile to haul all that snow away with that dump truck

Steve51
02-02-2015, 02:30 PM
We did this last yeah at the Badger tournament. Would have been fine if it wasnt -40 out. i made a base of a tarp and some carpet underlay to keep the cold from the ice down and it worked great. Will be doing the same at the tournament this year. Do you know if they let you park your rv up by the Hut?

spinN'flyfish
02-02-2015, 05:27 PM
awesome awesome! must've been hard to set up all that!