View Full Version : Transfering Gun Registration Over to another person

04-04-2007, 05:52 PM
So im thinkin of gettin my dad a new gun for his b-day and im gunna buy it so it will be registered under me now im just wondering if i will be over to tranfer it over to him so it shows that he is the rightful owner of it. He has his POL and i have my PAL so im just wondering if he needs his PAL for this too work. Thanks for the info.

sheep hunter
04-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Yup...he needs a PAL. That's the acquisition part.

04-04-2007, 06:01 PM
yah kinda thought so thanks for the info sheep.

04-04-2007, 06:01 PM
The transfer is no problem lethal. It will be the same as when you bought it..just call and tell them you wnt to transfer ownership to your dad. Does he own a gun now? I just seen this when i was looking up the POL

"The POL was only available to firearm owners aged 18 and older who applied before January 1, 2001. Individuals who have a POL may renew it if they have at least one firearm registered in their name and they apply before their licence expires. Otherwise, only the Possession and Acquisition Licence is available."

sheep hunter
04-04-2007, 06:10 PM
You're missing the point gopher...he is acquiring a new gun...he needs a PAL. POL was only for existing gun owners who didn't want to acquire new ones.

04-04-2007, 06:45 PM
No no Sheep sorry i have a PAL and im purchasing a gun for my dad's b-day and after i give it too him as a present i was just wondering if i can transfer the rifle over to him so its registered under him and he has a POL so really hes not purchasing it im just want to put the gun under his name instead of mine.

04-04-2007, 06:51 PM
POL-possesion ONLY license
PAL-possesion AQUISITION license

purchasing a firearm is only one way to aquire one!!

04-04-2007, 06:53 PM
For you to be able to transfer it over to your dad. Your dad will have to first get a PAL.

sheep hunter
04-04-2007, 06:55 PM
He is acquiring a new gun...no matter how he gets it...he needs a PAL.

04-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Both sheep and slopeshunter are correct. Your father will have to get a PAL. Its the same as someone inheriting a firearm. You have to have a PAL.

04-04-2007, 07:15 PM
WHAT PART OF "A" DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? sorry didn't want to miss this opportunity to be a dick.:b

04-04-2007, 07:19 PM
When in doubt call 1-800-731-4000
Follow the prompts to questions about the firearms act.

BTW: yes he needs his PAL.
But don't take the word of us faceless individuals from the web, go to the source and find out for yourself.

04-04-2007, 08:51 PM

04-04-2007, 09:02 PM
read here:
www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/sell_e.asp (http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/sell_e.asp)
Selling, Giving or Trading Firearms
When you sell, give or trade a firearm to someone else, it is a “transfer” under the Firearms Act. When a firearm is transferred to a new owner, the registration record needs to be updated to show that you are no longer the owner. The firearm also needs to be registered to the new owner if the new owner is a business or individual in Canada.

This fact sheet explains what firearms can be transferred, who can have a firearm, and how to meet these requirements if the transfer takes place in Canada.

It also touches on some things you should know if you export a firearm to someone who lives in another country.

Transfers Within Canada
What Firearms can be Transferred
Only firearms that have been registered and verified by an approved verifier can be transferred to a new owner. If you have a firearm that has not been registered or if you need help to verify a firearm, call 1 800 731-4000 to find out your options. Although the deadline for registration has passed, every effort will be made to help you bring the firearm into compliance with the law.

A Chief Firearms Officer must approve all transfers of restricted and prohibited firearms.

Who Can Be a Transferee
The transferee is the one who is acquiring the firearm from you. If the transfer takes place in Canada, the firearm may only be transferred to one of the following:

an adult (18 or older) with a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) that is valid for that class of firearm or a valid Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC);
a business, museum, legion or other organization with a valid Firearms Business Licence; or
a public service agency – for example, a police force, a police academy or a department or agency of any level of Canadian government (federal, provincial, territorial or municipal).

04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Correct: Transfer is not an option in this case. However I just got this from the Government web site (horses mouth)

Q. Can I borrow a firearm that is registered to someone else?

Yes, if you have a firearms licence that is valid for that class of firearm. When you borrow a firearm, borrow the registration certificate too so that you can provide proof that the firearm is registered if you need to.

If you do not have a valid firearms licence, or if your licence is not valid for the class of firearm you wish to borrow, you may borrow the firearm only if you are under the direct and immediate supervision of a suitably licensed adult (aged 18 or older) and there are no court orders prohibiting you from possessing firearms or other weapons.

You are correct though. No transfer possible in this scenerio

04-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I do believe borrowing is considered as aquiring.
Hence the term Possesion Only Licence
Versus, Possesion and Aquisition Licence

Therefore I think that if you knowingly lent a firearm to an individual with a Possession Only Licence, you have contraveened the part about them having a valid licence.

Unless something has changed recently the POL only allows you to posses the firearms you already had when the change from a certificates to a licences came into effect.

And the act of borrowing, buying or otherwise aquiring a firearm requires the receiver to have a Aquisition Licence.

The fact remains most of the POL's are now coming to be renewed and the fact that the Govt, staggered the renewal dates somewhat , and all POL's will have to be up graded to PAL's still remains, so that means all those POL holders will eventually have to take the Firearms Safety Course and get a PAL.
Once that happens all this will become clearer and a lot less confusing.

At any rate I fired an email off to the CFC asking for clarification to the ambiguity in their statements.

This should prove to clear it up. I hope.

04-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I think this tid bit from the CFC will clear some of this up, read the last paragraph.

A licence is your authorization to possess and register a firearm and to obtain ammunition. Your licence must be kept current for as long as you possess firearms in Canada. The types of licences are as follows:

For Canadian Residents 18 and Older:
The Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) is the only licence currently available to new applicants. It is renewable every five years. The fee to renew a licence is waived until May 17, 2008. As a general rule, applicants must have passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course.
Firearms Acquisition Certificates (FAC) issued under the former law are considered to be licences. They need to be replaced with a PAL before they expire.
For Non-Residents Aged 18 and Older:
A Non-resident firearms declaration that has been confirmed by a customs officer is deemed to be a temporary licence for up to 60 days.
Non-residents who have passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course can apply for a five-year PAL.
For Individuals aged 12 to 17
A Minors' Licence will enable young people to borrow a non-restricted rifle or shotgun for approved purposes such as hunting or target shooting. Generally, the minimum age is 12 years, but exceptions may be made for younger people who need to hunt to sustain themselves and their families. Applicants must have taken the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and passed the test. The fee to renew a minor’s licence is waived until May 17, 2008.
Once a person turns 18, they are no longer eligible for a minor’s licence. Instead, they must apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and pay the applicable fee. Currently, the fee only applies to the first PAL. Fees to renew a licence or modify licence privileges are waived until May 17, 2008.
For Firearms Business
A Firearms Business Licence will permit a business to carry on only those firearm-related activities specified on the licence.
Any of the licences listed above will allow you to possess a firearm and obtain ammunition in Canada. Only the Possession and Acquisition Licence will allow you to acquire or permanently import a firearm.