PDA

View Full Version : Burbot

xxclaro
01-17-2015, 02:02 PM
When do burbot start spawning? I fished them for the first time last year in March and did well, but I'm wondering if its too early to start yet? Anyone have any luck catching them earlier, and if so how do you go about it?

EZM
01-17-2015, 02:32 PM
They spawn under the ice ..... typically right after the whitefish ..... which is right about the end of January, and then for the next 6-8 weeks or so ...... Feb / March are peak periods for most lakes around here.

Evil69
01-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Not quite yet but soon....I say give it a few weeks. The last few I've caught are showing signs of pre spawn....swollen and dark bellies.
March is usually peak depending on the body of water. We always plan our trip to Mica Dam (North of Revelstoke) early March for the big ones.

AlbertaCutthroat
01-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Depends what lake. Our favorite burbot lake had active spawner's over Christmas, other lakes don't have ripe fish until mid March.

Habfan
01-17-2015, 08:27 PM
They spawn under the ice ..... typically right after the whitefish ..... which is right about the end of January, and then for the next 6-8 weeks or so ...... Feb / March are peak periods for most lakes around here.

Whites spawn a lot earlier than January !!!

colin467
01-18-2015, 04:02 PM
When do burbot start spawning? I fished them for the first time last year in March and did well, but I'm wondering if its too early to start yet? Anyone have any luck catching them earlier, and if so how do you go about it?

I have been out on sylvan catching them in 8fow in the evenings with a yellow jighead and minow bounce off bottom a few times then let it sit about 2 inches off , jig every so often

xxclaro
01-18-2015, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys. Went out yesterday just to see whats up, looks like its a bit early. Will try to find a perch lake till then.