PDA

View Full Version : Gull Perch?

lambski
01-17-2015, 09:05 PM
What is a keeper perch at gull lake?:thinking-006:

FishinAB
01-17-2015, 09:15 PM
What is a keeper perch at gull lake?:thinking-006:
The average larger ones are all about 10 inches.

lambski
01-17-2015, 09:32 PM
might have to make a trip home!:angry3:

fluxcore
01-17-2015, 09:53 PM
The average larger ones are all about 10 inches.

Yup

EZM
01-17-2015, 10:58 PM
might have to make a trip home!:angry3:

Cool .......... love to see some of your pics of the perch you caught back home.

10" is a nice perch here in Alberta. Humpies.

12" is a Jumbo

14" is a SUMO

I have not seen any much bigger than that coming out of any lake around here.

Adwittoutdoors
01-17-2015, 11:04 PM
Oh they're there. I witnessed and lost a few that were easy 12 " plus. I felt ashamed when I caught / released a nice fat 9 " perch. I know , I know what was I thinking. :sHa_sarcasticlol: just gotta fish between the Bow and Athabasca rivers is all. Roflmao !!!!

FishinAB
01-18-2015, 12:33 AM
There used to be some SUMO's and lots of jumbos in long lake near Edson many years ago. I always wonder if they have come back around after those few years of serious over-fishing. I would've had the Alberta record out of there if Fish and Wildlife hadn't reported a false record (apparently someone reported a Walleye as a perch and held the record for a year or longer!!) .. then after I had my fish weighed, took it home and ate it !! Next year I was looking through the regs and noticed the record was now lowered again ! Man I should've had it mounted. Dumb kid!

bloopbloob
01-18-2015, 06:24 AM
There used to be some SUMO's and lots of jumbos in long lake near Edson many years ago. I always wonder if they have come back around after those few years of serious over-fishing. I would've had the Alberta record out of there if Fish and Wildlife hadn't reported a false record (apparently someone reported a Walleye as a perch and held the record for a year or longer!!) .. then after I had my fish weighed, took it home and ate it !! Next year I was looking through the regs and noticed the record was now lowered again ! Man I should've had it mounted. Dumb kid!

Same story here. Same lake, I grew up in Edson and fished Long lake a lot. I think I ate one that was right around 3lbs out of that lake when I was a kid. I still think about that fish to this day! I have a picture on old school printed photos somewhere I'll have to dig out one day

Kim473
01-18-2015, 07:36 AM
If the fish are slow at the bite, I will keep min of 8" if the bite is good then I keep 10" or bigger. Applies to any lake I fish. Nothing under 8" kept as I fillet mine. Just my rules for myself.

GregT
01-18-2015, 07:56 AM
If the fish are slow at the bite, I will keep min of 8" if the bite is good then I keep 10" or bigger. Applies to any lake I fish. Nothing under 8" kept as I fillet mine. Just my rules for myself.

Ditto. I find anything less than 8" is tough to get a decent fillet out of anyways.