PDA

View Full Version : lake Athabasca around fort chip

S_Mooj
01-18-2015, 05:37 PM
looking to head up there on Wednesday next week to give er a try. going to stay at one of the bed and breakfasts up there, any one got any tips for fishing through the ice around chip? talking with a local he suggest around potato island (lobstick island on google maps). any one else have some input?

huntingaddict
01-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Big lake big respect. It owes me a new truck. When locals haven't drove on it. Nobody else should Lol. Flying and using a local guide is better than the drive. They all guide. Way cheaper than finding your own way round

zyphrus3
01-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Very true. The locals usual flag a path with trees to the south early in the season, where it crosses over the river channel close to chip. But still have to be careful. Caught lots of walleye from shore in the summer. And got my PB laker and pike out of the lake also.

Xiph0id
01-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Big lake big respect. It owes me a new truck. When locals haven't drove on it. Nobody else should Lol. Flying and using a local guide is better than the drive. They all guide. Way cheaper than finding your own way round

Lose a truck on the ice?
Care to tell the story?

huntingaddict
01-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Me and some buddies went up there when I worked in for Mac. Took winter roads slow going had to get on lake at river mouth just before chip. First ones to drive on the lake made it about 2 and a half miles south of potato. Very expensive trip managed to save truck still cost. Me 8grand in recovery and repairs. You can always get someone from Mac to fly u in. Every second house is guide. Good luck