PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Tips

BuckHunter44
12-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I haven't gone ice fishing for about 6 years now, and my buddy is inviting me to go ice fishing with him. I was about 8 years old the last time we went, and cant really remember much. I was just wondering if u guys could give me any usefull tips. Thx:)

Mudslide
12-16-2008, 06:29 PM
It depends on what species you are fishing for, but generally, you should use light line, and small hooks or jigs tipped with maggots or a minnow head. If you can see the fish it is easier, so a small ice hut or tent that daylight won't penetrate helps a lot. Some guys just throw a tarp or big blanket over them to accomplish the same thing. If you can't see them then use a lift, drop, and hold method. Lift the lure and let it drop on a semi slack line. Repeat this several times this attracts the fish so they will come over and look at what all the commotion is. I will occasionally pound the jig on the bottom to stir up the mud (this imitates a feeding minnow) Then (and this is important) hold the lure completely still about three to six inches off bottom or twitch it very lightly. This often induces a strike.
There's a couple of tips for you. Have fun, Show respect to the resource and other fisherman by cleaning up when you leave and knowing the regs for the place you are fishing.
Enjoy: Greg

BuckHunter44
12-16-2008, 06:32 PM
It depends on what species you are fishing for, but generally, you should use light line, and small hooks or jigs tipped with maggots or a minnow head. If you can see the fish it is easier, so a small ice hut or tent that daylight won't penetrate helps a lot. Some guys just throw a tarp or big blanket over them to accomplish the same thing. If you can't see them then use a lift, drop, and hold method. Lift the lure and let it drop on a semi slack line. Repeat this several times this attracts the fish so they will come over and look at what all the commotion is. I will occasionally pound the jig on the bottom to stir up the mud (this imitates a feeding minnow) Then (and this is important) hold the lure completely still about three to six inches off bottom or twitch it very lightly. This often induces a strike.
There's a couple of tips for you. Have fun, Show respect to the resource and other fisherman by cleaning up when you leave and knowing the regs for the place you are fishing.
Enjoy: Greg

Thanks for the advice, i will try many of those things when we go out this year. and i have always shown respect for wildlife, and other hunter.

Mudslide
12-16-2008, 06:59 PM
It's nice to see young guys learning the sport. There are lots of experienced fishermen on this forum and we are happy to help out.

Jester
12-16-2008, 08:21 PM
When fishing for trout in shallow water sit so your shadow is behind you and not covering the hole....err...that's what the old timers told me..:):wave:

simmered
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
I just started ice fishing this year as well. I have been out a few times already at a local trout/perch lake. We used small little jigs and really small spoons, seemed to work good. I would like to go up to Slave and catch some walleye and jack. I'm wondering what works best for the bigger fish. Will they still hit the small jigs? or do the big rubber ones still work good in the winter as well