PDA

View Full Version : perch, trout and .....

portwein
01-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Spent about 4 hours on lake HBZ :)

Trout was 0,9 kg 46 cm long (released 2 little bit bigger), two perches 26 cm, two 23 cm and rest of them around 20 cm.
Weather was changing and action died around 3 pm.
Not too bad for first try of unfamiliar water body.

pinelakeperch
01-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Nice trout! Are those small largemouth bass?

fluxcore
01-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Smallies good eating ? How do they match up to the perch?

Habfan
01-18-2015, 06:20 PM
I think they are bass ! They should stock them in lakes with stunted perch, they might get huge.

portwein
01-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Nice trout! Are those small largemouth bass?

yes, they are! was really surprised they bite in winter time

did not try them from this lake, but from other one they were really tasty

Stryker2
01-18-2015, 06:48 PM
I didn't think there was bass in Alberta! :thinking-006:

Fishike
01-18-2015, 06:52 PM
First time I hear of bass fishing in Alberta. I'd be curious to know more about that... Congrats on your catch!

pinelakeperch
01-18-2015, 06:53 PM
yes, they are! was really surprised they bite in winter time

did not try them from this lake, but from other one they were really tasty

I'm not looking for you to specify too much, but I assume this is in BC?

waterninja
01-18-2015, 07:05 PM
Or Ontario? Congrats on a nice catch.
Don't think you have to worry about us crowding this lake if you tell us where it is.

portwein
01-18-2015, 07:14 PM

yes, this is in BC

as I know there is no bass in Alberta, unfortunately :(

pinelakeperch
01-18-2015, 07:34 PM
yes, this is in BC

as I know there is no bass in Alberta, unfortunately :(

I figured. Congrats on the catch!

Brandonkop
01-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Those look like large mouth bass to me. Small ones but still largemouth bass.

This is what a smallie looks like. http://www.sportsmanshabitat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/smallmouth-bass-fall-fishing.jpg

I'm in bc now but not sure where to ice fish. I imagine I have to drive a ways from Vancouver area to get to fishable ice.

pinelakeperch
01-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Those look like large mouth bass to me. Small ones but still largemouth bass.

This is what a smallie looks like. http://www.sportsmanshabitat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/smallmouth-bass-fall-fishing.jpg

I'm in bc now but not sure where to ice fish. I imagine I have to drive a ways from Vancouver area to get to fishable ice.

See post #5.

GregT
01-18-2015, 08:42 PM
Perhaps a dumb response but how come AB doesn't have bass? Aren't they in all the neighbouring provinces and ststes? Except the territories I guess....

pinelakeperch
01-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Perhaps a dumb response but how come AB doesn't have bass? Aren't they in all the neighbouring provinces and ststes? Except the territories I guess....

I don't believe Saskatchewan has bass, though I haven't checked that and could be wrong. I'm fairly certain that they're stocked in BC. BC's warmer climate allows for largemouths to survive. I believe one lake in Alberta has a small smallmouth population.

bobalong
01-18-2015, 09:55 PM
I don't believe Saskatchewan has bass, though I haven't checked that and could be wrong. I'm fairly certain that they're stocked in BC. BC's warmer climate allows for largemouths to survive. I believe one lake in Alberta has a small smallmouth population.

Boundary Dam in Sk. has bass, quite big ones actually and is listed as one of the top 5 fishing destinations in Sk because of the Bass there. There was some Bass stocked in AB about 20 years or so I believe. Cant remember the name of the lake, guys used to catch a few, but haven't heard of any being caught there for many years.

pinelakeperch
01-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Boundary Dam in Sk. has bass, quite big ones actually and is listed as one of the top 5 fishing destinations in Sk because of the Bass there. There was some Bass stocked in AB about 20 years or so I believe. Cant remember the name of the lake, guys used to catch a few, but haven't heard of any being caught there for many years.

That's interesting, thanks for letting me know. I assume they're stocked. I think the lake where the smallmouth were stocked is called "Island Lake".

linger
01-18-2015, 10:47 PM
I think the lake they tried stocking bass into was Island lake out by smoky lake but i heard they didn't take this was many years ago.:)

portwein
01-18-2015, 10:57 PM
There was some Bass stocked in AB about 20 years or so I believe. Cant remember the name of the lake, guys used to catch a few, but haven't heard of any being caught there for many years.

Heard the same, and "Island Lake" sounds pretty familiar in this context, but for me it is the rumor still.

kirbstomps
01-19-2015, 03:25 PM
That is correct, they were stocked in island lake many years ago.... hear rumors every now and then that guys catch them still, but still waiting on the photo evidence... i believe the last photo that came out was clearly from a river LOL. but the water levels on island lake have been hugely on the decline since then and i am skeptical on the situation.

Habfan
01-19-2015, 03:49 PM
There are lots of lakes around Fernie that have bass and perch in them. They also stosk some with brood stock rainbows as well. :)