PDA

View Full Version : Moose lake (BV)

Buck9
01-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Anyone been fishing this lake the last few weeks? Went out today tried a few different spots and really slow. Not even seeing much on flasher. Same spots have been successful in previous years, is this just mid season slow period?

huntingaddict
01-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Fished out every out of towner went out and kept everything last couple of years. I only ever caught and released because of high Mercury content in fish. Fish and game state person should only eat 2ounce serving per week.
Narrow are always pretty good

schleprock
01-18-2015, 08:40 PM
I do not believe that out of town fishermen have cleaned the lake out, but the cormorants population has exploded over the last few years and have been taking a major toll on the perch population. The birds were almost extinct a while back but thanks to some of the Alberta Government employees, they are back with a vengeance. I believe they are still protected but have heard that plans are in the works to deal with this infestation.

Blastoff
01-18-2015, 08:41 PM
My brother was there today and got nothing, he said only a couple bites

Double-Eh
01-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Fished out? This summer I couldn't even hold a conversation withy buddy because I was pulling up fish almost every minute. I cannot foresee it being fished out so fast.

Mackinaw
01-18-2015, 11:24 PM
I fished it a few weeks back was not good at all it was like the lake died fished it in summer was ok. Not sure what is going on.

Mack

PlayDoh
01-18-2015, 11:49 PM
I've fished there since I was a kid, almost 40 years and hadn't been there for around 8 years till last year. It was a sad resemblance to its former self. I was only there a week, but even the past few times I was there it was nothing like it was.
If fishing it out were possible then it would have been dead a long time ago. Back in the day of no licence or limits you had to wait in line at the fish cleaning station and seeing people with buckets of perch was a common sight.
Something else is at play there. I suspect the temperatures of the water, since it's so shallow and more vulnerable.
While I was there last year some guy shore fishing remarked how the fishing was so good (cause he was catching the same pike for an hour I suspect), but I just laughed.
And trust me, I know the spots and tricks there, my gramps taught me them and my family has been going there since the 50's.
Never heard of algae blooms there until 2-3 years ago, that's a clue. Warmer water and fertilizer run off perhaps.
Mercury is natural, while not healthy for us not very harmful for the fish at those levels. Maybe winter kills but I doubt it's the only factor even if it is at play.
I also have no idea about commercial fishing or native sustenance impacts or if either is in effect. Both have killed Lac La Biche, from what I've heard.

Buck9
01-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Ya I've been fishing this lake for the past 20 years. Perch fishing was good then and tended to target them so not sure how the walleye fishing faired. Fishing has been pretty steady for walleye the past 10 years while perch has been a challenge. I agree the cormorants do have an effect on the perch and bait fish, thus affecting the walleye and jack. Two years ago the fisheries said the river by Franchere had enough walleye spawning you could walk on them. So guessing there was a few anyway. Summer and winter fishing showed this with a lake full of small walleye. Year later caught lists of nice walleye and few smaller ones. This year summer and winter has so far slowed down. Cormorants and cycles I guess. Perch have never really come back. Also how come there is no 10 pound jack in this lake

cube
01-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Ya I've been fishing this lake for the past 20 years. Perch fishing was good then and tended to target them so not sure how the walleye fishing faired. Fishing has been pretty steady for walleye the past 10 years while perch has been a challenge. I agree the cormorants do have an effect on the perch and bait fish, thus affecting the walleye and jack. Two years ago the fisheries said the river by Franchere had enough walleye spawning you could walk on them. So guessing there was a few anyway. Summer and winter fishing showed this with a lake full of small walleye. Year later caught lists of nice walleye and few smaller ones. This year summer and winter has so far slowed down. Cormorants and cycles I guess. Perch have never really come back. Also how come there is no 10 pound jack in this lake

What you are describing is the typical scenario of what happens to a lake managed for walleye. ie pike and perch populations drop dramatically. At least they let you keep some walleye at Moose Lake. I find it frustrating when they bring walleye management into a lake, rob people of perch and pike fishing opportunities, then don't even let you keep a walleye which is the primary thing people want them for.

Kim473
01-21-2015, 10:07 AM
What you are describing is the typical scenario of what happens to a lake managed for walleye. ie pike and perch populations drop dramatically. At least they let you keep some walleye at Moose Lake. I find it frustrating when they bring walleye management into a lake, rob people of perch and pike fishing opportunities, then don't even let you keep a walleye which is the primary thing people want them for.

X2

IMO, I think the fisheries are ruining the lakes as far as the Perch, Whites and Pike. In the last few years all they stock now are Walleye and Trout. It's a shame.