PDA

View Full Version : Driving on ice paranoia...

molly
01-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Dear AO Ice Fishermen!

Well, I used to like ice fishing out on a lake (although I was always quite apprehensive about driving on it...). Now I would prefer to drag a sled with our gear. Call me a chicken, but when I see photos of the unlucky folks that fell through, I get creeped out! We were going to go to Chain Lakes today but figured it would be too windy. I am going to town tomorrow and the Hublet (who can't swim but doesn't care about that...) wants to take his 3/4 ton Ford on there tomorrow. I do not think this is wise, especially as the weather has been so warm. :(

Anyone been down there? Any advice? :confused:

Signed,

Worried Wife

EZM
01-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Hi Molly,

I don't think you should do anything that is outside of your comfort zone. Driving on the ice is a risk even in the best of conditions. Use the level of precaution that you feel is appropriate.

It does take a extended period of time for the 18" to 20" of ice to melt in warmer weather like we have been having, so it is unlikely, not impossible mind you, but very unlikley the ice itself will weaken to a point where it may be unsafe for light vehicles ..... HOWEVER ..... the key concerns are wind, which may create heaves and cracks which will not heal as well in this weather AND expansion/contraction points like at shorelines and other shallow points throughout the lake.

And always there is the risk of thin ice around springs, inflows, outflows and other areas of the lake that you may not be familiar with, or notice during the open water season.

Use caution and use your own judgement.

I don't drive on 8"-10" of ice ..... some people do. I wait until it's at least 14"-16" of clear solid ice with no evidence of major ice heaves or pressure ridges.

I will, however, likely drive on the lake this Sunday if all the conditions I outlined above do not seem to be a factor.

Hope that helps.

rubberboots
01-22-2015, 04:29 PM
To add, if I'm ever unsure about driving on the ice I'll haul out the auger and go for a little walk before setting a tire on the lake. I'll do a test hole to check the depth - which is no guarantee for the entire lake but gives you an idea. I also don't drive on it unless there's a good solid 12-14" of good solid clear ice though.

Stonecutter
01-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Food for thought.
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/ice/icecard.pdf

Mackinaw
01-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Hi Molly,

I don't think you should do anything that is outside of your comfort zone. Driving on the ice is a risk even in the best of conditions. Use the level of precaution that you feel is appropriate.

It does take a extended period of time for the 18" to 20" of ice to melt in warmer weather like we have been having, so it is unlikely, not impossible mind you, but very unlikley the ice itself will weaken to a point where it may be unsafe for light vehicles ..... HOWEVER ..... the key concerns are wind, which may create heaves and cracks which will not heal as well in this weather AND expansion/contraction points like at shorelines and other shallow points throughout the lake.

And always there is the risk of thin ice around springs, inflows, outflows and other areas of the lake that you may not be familiar with, or notice during the open water season.

I don't drive on 8"-10" of ice ..... some people do. I wait until it's at least 14"-16" of clear solid ice with no evidence of major ice heaves or pressure ridges.

I will, however, likely drive on the lake this Sunday if all the conditions I outlined above do not seem to be a factor.

Hope that helps.

Well thought out and insightful. .

Mack

GregT
01-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Call it what you want...
1) if you're nervous in a truck will you enjoy fishing beside it and knowing you have a drive back to land?
2) nothing wrong packin hear out in a quad, skidoo or walking.

I'm a chicken on the ice too. Last Sunday I walked towing my sled and young son 300m onto the ice near a bunch of pickups. I didn't have to think twice if there was enough for my heavy truck! Each to thier own tho!

cube
01-22-2015, 05:42 PM
To add, if I'm ever unsure about driving on the ice I'll haul out the auger and go for a little walk before setting a tire on the lake. I'll do a test hole to check the depth - which is no guarantee for the entire lake but gives you an idea. I also don't drive on it unless there's a good solid 12-14" of good solid clear ice though.

X2

cube
01-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Hi Molly,

Hope that helps.

yep to everything X3

The one other thing that I would add is, It does not hurt to have your seat belt off and a window open (at least partially ) to facilitate a quick escape when traveling on ice.

TROLLER
01-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Yes to all the above. The big thing is all the winds that we have had the past week. Not just above average temp, now they are calling for temp to reach 10 to 13c in the next few days with the big west winds continuing.

Be careful out there

molly
01-22-2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks, guys! I will work on the Hublet and hope to convince him to go out on foot if he insists on going. I have read about rolling the windows down and keeping the doors partly open, just in case. But still...he is not as agile as he used to be!
Maybe we should look for a little tent on sale somewhere! Then we would have some shelter...😊

spinN'flyfish
01-22-2015, 10:50 PM
hey folks, i'd like to know if flood water affects driving and if it is possible to remove it around the place you are fishing( like shoveling it?). Heard alot about flooded lakes recently, temperatures feelin like late spring is predicted for this weekend, certainly some floodwater will be present by then

WayneChristie
01-22-2015, 10:57 PM
hey folks, i'd like to know if flood water affects driving and if it is possible to remove it around the place you are fishing( like shoveling it?). Heard alot about flooded lakes recently, temperatures feelin like late spring is predicted for this weekend, certainly some floodwater will be present by then

just think of the open air trolling you will be able to do!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

1Heavyhitr
01-22-2015, 11:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIz93LGwp94

I think this is crazy but reassuring to say the least?

elk eater
01-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Never fished chain lakes but on others I like to stick to the beaten patch. Nice to see your concern for your hubby. Last time I went ice fishing the wife asked me to pick up a load gravel for the driveway on my way out. And our driveway is paved ????

Kim473
01-23-2015, 04:34 AM

I would say. Wonder what lake that is?

Dacotensis
01-23-2015, 09:02 AM
I know I'm not the only one on this forum to drive with the truck door opened up so I can jump out if that moment ever happened.
Admit it guys.

RayL42
01-23-2015, 09:15 AM
I would say. Wonder what lake that is?

The title on the video says gull.

I'm another one of the paranoid of driving on the ice guys. I will only do it in ideal conditions on lakes i know well. In my opinion its not worth the risk and I do not mind walking.

Bowhunter97
01-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Anybody know what the ice at brownlows is like, as far as thickness and driving safety?

EZM
01-23-2015, 10:04 AM
I know I'm not the only one on this forum to drive with the truck door opened up so I can jump out if that moment ever happened.
Admit it guys.

We make it a habit to roll down the power windows and unbuckle the seat belts. Getting wet could short your windows and trap you inside the truck.

As far as opening the door - my thoughts are leave them closed.

If you do plunge in you don't want water getting inside the cab too fast making your truck sink faster.

If you watch videos of this happening, the trucks tend to sink slow if the doors are not opened. This gives you time to climb out of the window.

I also have my tow strap, in a tote, on the floor in the cab instead of in the box. If the front end goes through and the back end is still dry - I can wrap the strap on the receiver hitch and hope that someone can give me a pull before she goes for a swim.

I try and have at least 2 vehicles in a party anytime we go on a trip so we can help each other. If we are going solo, typically we go somewhere where there are others near by.

You just need to be prepared to act.

Bigwoodsman
01-23-2015, 11:27 AM
I spent many years hauling on ice roads, the worst thing you can do is speed. Speed will break the ice open behind you, or if someone is speeding ahead of you it will create a week spot.

Shallow areas are the worst and if you are unfamiliar with the lake you have no idea where you'll find these places. The wave under the ice cannot dissipate when reaching these shallow areas and can cause a blowout to occur.

As for my self I have no problem driving the pick up on a lake with a medium ice average of 12 inches. I just keep my speed between 30 and 40 KMPH, and slow down to less than 15 long before exiting the lake this will give the wave under the ice time to dissipate and not create a blowout behind you.

It's a good idea to unfasten your seat belts while driving on ice, however keeping your doors open is probably not the most sage advice.

BW

molly
01-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Good suggestions. I think keeping the windows down is a good idea...Hublet chose not to go alone today! He wants to go Monday and we would take my little Nissan X-Trail, which is a lot lighter. And I always drive slow! And I checked with our insurance company to make sure we are covered, haha...

If anyone hits Chain Lakes this weekend, a report would be great!! :)

EZM
01-23-2015, 02:44 PM
My insurance company covers me on the ice as long as the access point used is a boat launch AND it cannot be posted "unsafe ice".

If you access the ice from an area that is not the "boat launch" I could see the insurance bandits denying coverage even if it isn't marked "unsafe".

Icenewb
01-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Admit it guys.

Hell yeah I'll admit it, seat belts off and door open even if we take the woman's Mazda 4 door.

spinN'flyfish
01-23-2015, 10:38 PM
just think of the open air trolling you will be able to do!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

that'd be pretty impressive, driving on the ice and draggin' some lures in open water :bad_boys_20:

bobalong
01-23-2015, 10:55 PM
I drove on the ice for years but after the previous couple of years of bad ice conditions I bought a used snowmobile last year. Lots around and pretty economical. I still wait for at least 12" of ice before taking the sled on. Much easier and faster to move around the lake when I wish to do so.

Dale S
01-24-2015, 07:27 AM
From someone that has went to the bottom of a lake in a truck. You will not get your doors open while the cab is filling with water. With the open window you won't think about trying to get out of your truck your first reaction is to get away from the water. The water comes in hard and fast,it pushed me back in my seat. By the time your brain figures out what's going on, the truck is full of water. Your mind has to tell you oh-ya the windows open I got to get out of here. This all happens in less than a minute. And in my case dark out.
My best advice, make sure you know where your driving. And in the back of your mind know that the only way out is threw your open windows.
It took my a long time before I could drive on the ice after that. But now I say "What are the chances of it happening twice"
Just be safe out there..

Jamie Black R/T
01-24-2015, 09:47 AM
I drove on the ice for years but after the previous couple of years of bad ice conditions I bought a used snowmobile last year. Lots around and pretty economical. I still wait for at least 12" of ice before taking the sled on. Much easier and faster to move around the lake when I wish to do so.
X2....i really enjoy fishing off my sled...running and gunning at will.

Wish we could maybe get some winter this year. Hardly any snow left around here.

molly
01-24-2015, 10:35 AM
From someone that has went to the bottom of a lake in a truck. You will not get your doors open while the cab is filling with water. With the open window you won't think about trying to get out of your truck your first reaction is to get away from the water. The water comes in hard and fast,it pushed me back in my seat. By the time your brain figures out what's going on, the truck is full of water. Your mind has to tell you oh-ya the windows open I got to get out of here. This all happens in less than a minute. And in my case dark out.
My best advice, make sure you know where your driving. And in the back of your mind know that the only way out is threw your open windows.
It took my a long time before I could drive on the ice after that. But now I say "What are the chances of it happening twice"
Just be safe out there..

Holy crap, Dago! You may not want to give any further details, but I am wondering what the circumstances were...Were you alone? How did you get rescued? :(

RavYak
01-24-2015, 11:21 AM

Probably what Gull is going to look like tomorrow lol.

Dale S
01-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Holy crap, Dago! You may not want to give any further details, but I am wondering what the circumstances were...Were you alone? How did you get rescued? :(

We were on Beaver Mines going fishing before the sun come up. 4 of us made it out. One of my close friends didn't get out of the truck. RIP E.F. We were lucky there was some other fisherman across the lake. They came right over as soon as we started screaming. They let us sit in there truck until emergence showed up.
The worst detail I left out is, after I pushed myself up away from the truck I didn't hit the hole we went threw. Banged my head on the ice, I had to feel around for a few seconds before I could find the hole.

Sooner
01-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Holy crap Dago! Cant imaging that. Glad to hear you 4 made it out. Could have been so much worse. I went through on a sled in knee to waist deep water, my wife(gf at the time) was 50 ft over and she went through in 6 ish feet with her sled. I had to get a dead tree from the island and belly crawl out to get her out of the water. She was standing on the sled seat and the water was up to her chest. I got her out, out of her wet clothes and gave her my coat,sweats and boots. We were walking to a jeep who was fishing on the ice when a girl came by on a sled who seen us go in. She took my wife around the corner to where our group was fishing as she was soaked, I was only wet from the knees down and had long johns on. I told my wife when you get there, get in the truck, start it and put the heat on high. Stay in there and warm up. We were lucky it was between a island and shore, not too cold out and not too deep. Out in the middle we would be toast. Girl came and took me back to the trucks, not known to me, she then went and got her brothers and friends(lived on the lake), they came across the lake with ropes and stuff(even pulled a alum boat in case) and pulled up the one sled and mine which was hung up on the skis but not under. By the time we got around to the sleds by road with the truck and trailer, they had both out and mine running as it had no water in the engine, just the exhaust. I pulled the dead sled with mine back to the truck which was on the road. Loaded up and went home. This was at Lac La Nonne many moons ago where the church camp is. Locals know of a well know spring between the island and shore. We had no clue until i seen the deep blue under the ice as we traveled over it. To this day driving on the ice is super freaky with the 1 ton. That said, I have been to many Pigeon lake derbys and when you see truck after truck(100's) parked side by side on the ice as in the gull lake derby video, you have to say it is pretty safe if the conditions are right. That's the key, know your ice thickness.

molly
01-25-2015, 05:30 PM
http://www.ifishalberta.com/lakeFeedback.php?id=523

Well, think we will be walking out there tomorrow! :)

Dago, that is very sad and surely gives one pause.

Everyone, safe fishing!! :fishing:

loyaleddie
01-25-2015, 07:40 PM
Was out on chain lakes today...(walking)

Dude pulls up beside me and asked how thick the ice was..said "I didn't know, it was 14" inches last time I was here, bout two weeks ago. But there is a guys with a mini van on it, and a half tonne."

The guys asked "would you drive on it?"

I said (laughing) "not a chance, my truck is a 3/4 tonne, and with my luck I would be "that guy" who went trough"

As the afternoon progressed more and more vehicles just plowed onto the ice with out giving it a second thought. It's funny to see the faces of those who are risk takers and who are not...

And further more the ones who start to "bohoo" about there vehicles going through the ice. And then cry to there insurance companies about it. Meanwhile insurance raises their premium rates to cover stupid claims. Much like a car going through the ice...

Meh..I'll walk

:sign0161:

molly
01-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Eddie...I agree. We will take our little sled if we go and walk also. :)

1bluZebec
01-25-2015, 09:06 PM
I too walked on today even though the walk was long and slippery as can be but my brand new truck was safe on shore. Especially because I had family and friends with me too. What's a little excersize hey? lol

finner-duramax
01-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Drove my 1 ton diesel with a 24' inclosed trailer on this weekend, didn't have a problem what so ever, 22" of ice. Lots of water on top, defiantly a scetchy feeling. It's going to have to take a lot more for this ice to deteriate. On a brighter note we hammered the fish and its suppoSe to go down below zero very soon.

loyaleddie
01-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Drove my 1 ton diesel with a 24' inclosed trailer on this weekend, didn't have a problem what so ever, 22" of ice. Lots of water on top, defiantly a scetchy feeling. It's going to have to take a lot more for this ice to deteriate. On a brighter note we hammered the fish and its suppoSe to go down below zero very soon.

22"....? :thinking-006:

You are not suppose to use your "fishing" tape measure to measure Ice thickness....:)

finner-duramax
01-25-2015, 11:01 PM

You are not suppose to use your "fishing" tape measure to measure Ice thickness....:)

Used my scoop there numb nuts

loyaleddie
01-25-2015, 11:12 PM

Stay classy

finner-duramax
01-25-2015, 11:12 PM

Let me re-wrte that for you " special " people...
1 foot 10 inches = 22"

:snapoutofit:

molly
01-26-2015, 09:40 AM

Well, you are bolder than most! I guess it depends where you drill to test the ice...quite a difference between 12" and 22".

huntsfurfish
01-26-2015, 10:12 AM

No need for that kind of comment!

EZM
01-26-2015, 10:18 AM

There was 22" of clear solid ice on Gull yesterday where we fished as well. An inch or two of white pack ice/or melt.

Drilled holes in a few areas and the ice was consistent and solid.

Lakes like Gull where there aren't too many springs, currents or inflows have very stable ice.

No water on ice.

No heaves or cracks.

Some areas completely free of snow pack.

Yup 22" there as well. The warm weather only solidified the top layer of ice, and the thickness has increased this week it seems (ice builds from the bottom).

It was very safe. I'd say about as safe as conditions could be. Temperatures between +4 to -4 create the best conditions for stability in ice.

I measured mine with my handy dandy scoop that comes with a graduated handle marked off in 1" increments.

:)

finner-duramax
01-26-2015, 10:26 AM
No need for that kind of comment!

No need for him to comment that I'm lieing.
So yes, there was a need for it

finner-duramax
01-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Well, you are bolder than most! I guess it depends where you drill to test the ice...quite a difference between 12" and 22".

Where are you getting 12" from?

molly
01-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Where are you getting 12" from?

From the link I posted above...A website called iFish Alberta. It relies on feedback by the public.

finner-duramax
01-26-2015, 03:54 PM
From the link I posted above...A website called iFish Alberta. It relies on feedback by the public.

Ohh ok, I see. All lakes are different.
I defiantly would be driving on unless I doubled checked thickness. Especially with 80,000$ worth of truck, trailer, and gear.
I feel safe driving on 20" of ice, but to each their own.

loyaleddie
01-26-2015, 07:08 PM
Soooo......now for the real story

There was 14" (1' 2" :) ) on chain lakes around the boat launch.....

I find it amazing that someone found 22" or ( 1' 10") of ice on the same small lake.

But whatever,

I will keep an eye out for a 1 tonne black dodge dually on the ice next time I am out...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/98212192214b211eb6285a727111834b/tumblr_mjvmrs1mOP1qat9xfo1_500.jpg

lromanchuk
01-26-2015, 07:27 PM
haha. Love the Lebowski reference.

Mayhem
01-26-2015, 08:43 PM
I interpreted that he was talking about whatever lake he was fishing (probably northern AB) had 22" of ice, anyways...Only been out a few times this year and done some exploring but have found ice thickness to vary quite a bit the farther away you get from shore and in different areas of larger lakes. I won't be driving out anytime soon.

rk4
01-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Soooo......now for the real story

There was 14" (1' 2" :) ) on chain lakes around the boat launch.....

I find it amazing that someone found 22" or ( 1' 10") of ice on the same small lake.

But whatever,

I will keep an eye out for a 1 tonne black dodge dually on the ice next time I am out...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/98212192214b211eb6285a727111834b/tumblr_mjvmrs1mOP1qat9xfo1_500.jpg.

Was with finner on 22".... Definitely wasn't at chain. Keep an eye out for whatever colour of dodge you want lol but you won't find us there. I wouldn't pull an inclosed onto any lake without at least 20", if you still don't believe us I'll send you a pic of my ice hole with a 28" walleye poking through ;)

loyaleddie
01-26-2015, 09:05 PM

Was with finner on 22".... Definitely wasn't at chain. Keep an eye out for whatever colour of dodge you want lol but you won't find us there. I wouldn't pull an inclosed onto any lake without at least 20", if you still don't believe us I'll send you a pic of my ice hole with a 28" walleye poking through ;)

All good....

Should have read the entire thread, I guess

We can chalk this up to one of those....

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll51/loyaleddie/image.jpg1.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/loyaleddie/media/image.jpg1.jpg.html)

moments......:)

This is what the lake looked like on Sunday

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll51/loyaleddie/image.jpg1_1.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/loyaleddie/media/image.jpg1_1.jpg.html)

rk4
01-26-2015, 09:12 PM
All good....

Should have read the entire thread, I guess

We can chalk this up to one of those....

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll51/loyaleddie/image.jpg1.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/loyaleddie/media/image.jpg1.jpg.html)

moments......:)

Umm ok?
Should change your username it Meme-Eddie.
Anyways I'm not going to waste my time.
Time to grow up Eddie.

molly
01-27-2015, 08:17 AM
We checked it out yesterday and there were about four rigs out there, and a couple groups on foot. We are heading out this morning, but we are walking (with ice cleats!) whether Hublet likes it or not!!

P.S. I didn't realize Duramax guy was on a different lake either! Makes sense now...

Richard B.
01-27-2015, 09:18 AM
I prefer to walk as it is part of the experience for me

SteveY66
01-27-2015, 09:19 AM
I've been ice fishing since I was 8 years old so roughly 20 years and I still even today never drive on the ice. I will always walk or haul my quad for my adventures. I've saw too many scary scenes and would hate to risk anything. I had a close friend I used to fish with (Fishin Fool) he would drive on rarely but was always very hesitant, you could always notice it was him from miles away cause he would always have one foot sticking out, seat belt off and the door wide open.... haha:sHa_sarcasticlol: