PDA

View Full Version : Overnight ice fishing trip

Mranderson22
01-23-2015, 03:28 AM
Headed out to Gull lake for a 2 night ice fishing trip. Absolutely pumped about it but I'm fairly inexperienced at ice fishing. I'm an avid camper so I have a pretty good idea of what to bring out but I'm just wondering if any of you experienced folks have any recommendations/advice/past success that you could share with me. Thanks And happy fishing

Willowtrail
01-23-2015, 06:07 PM
Don't it many times and it's great.

A few pointers

1. Put a 3' 1 1/2" pipe at both ends of the tent for fresh air.
2. If you can, build a plywood floor
3. Cot is better than zero gravity chair or air mattress.
4. Have fun

EZM
01-23-2015, 07:42 PM
As willowtrail says the plywood floor is an excellent idea .... there's likely to be a fair amount of water on top of the ice since the weather has been so warm the last week or so.

A couple dry bags isn't a bad idea either. It can get tough to find a dry place to put your gear down when it's this sloppy.

It might seem like a hassle ..... but you will be glad you went through the trouble.

Mranderson22
01-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Sorry guys guess I should have clarified, I'm doing it through a guy that puts you in a cabin with beds and a stove. Just wondering if there's anything special i should bring for this type of trip to maximize the experience (fishing and otherwise). Do you fellows fish through the night?

Red Bullets
01-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Otherwise...
AM radio can be nice at 3 in the morning. A radio gets lots of radio stations at night. Even from far in the southern states sometimes. Talk radio shows can be interesting/bizarre at night.

I have fished all night at other lakes and it can be slow or sometimes better than daytime. Enjoyable.

Glow in the dark lead head jig with or without the rubber body with a minnow thru the eyes. Stationary for lingcod, jigged for walleye.

Sometimes the big pike bite 2 hours after the sunset on stationary big minnows too.