PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Question

MsFinch
01-23-2015, 05:54 PM
As I am still doing my best to learn everything about Albertas fishing regs that are different from Ontario, I am kind of stuck on the whole walleye situation.
For some lakes that actually have a limit other than 0 for walleye, is it necessary to have a walleye tag no matter where it is? And if so, can you just go buy one or do you have to wait for some sort of draw? (Saw something about a draw in the regs).

Brandon5555
01-23-2015, 05:58 PM
theres a draw for it. and if theirs a keep limit thats what you can keep. no tag required. same with slot sizes.

MsFinch
01-23-2015, 06:09 PM
theres a draw for it. and if theirs a keep limit thats what you can keep. no tag required. same with slot sizes.

Ok, sorry for questioning again, but just so I'm understanding correctly, if there's a keep limit (say 3), then you don't need a walleye tag/license, but if it's 0 then you need to apply for the draw?

Brandon5555
01-23-2015, 06:10 PM
yes correct.

Habfan
01-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Ok, sorry for questioning again, but just so I'm understanding correctly, if there's a keep limit (say 3), then you don't need a walleye tag/license, but if it's 0 then you need to apply for the draw?

Only a few lakes have draws available, not all !! And you can only get drawn for 1 lake ! It might be easier if you go to Alberta relm and check out walleye draws for more info as it may be easier to understand.

Brandon5555
01-23-2015, 06:34 PM
are you looking at the lakes near brooks? (badger. newell, crawling etc.)

Habfan
01-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Hope you didn't move here to catch walleye for eating !! Lol !! Lots of eyes to be caught, but keeping is another story ! Lots of splaining to do Lucy !! Lol.

MsFinch
01-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Hope you didn't move here to catch walleye for eating !! Lol !! Lots of eyes to be caught, but keeping is another story ! Lots of splaining to do Lucy !! Lol.

No I didnt, just moved back here cause I'm from here, and last August was the first time getting into fishing here. Other than that it's been ontario fishing and hunting, and it's much different. I'm not too concerned about keeping the pickerel, just mainly curious as to what the actual rules are so if one day we wanna keep one, we'll be doing it legally.

bubba 96
01-24-2015, 09:06 AM
No I didnt, just moved back here cause I'm from here, and last August was the first time getting into fishing here. Other than that it's been ontario fishing and hunting, and it's much different. I'm not too concerned about keeping the pickerel, just mainly curious as to what the actual rules are so if one day we wanna keep one, we'll be doing it legally.

Pickerel is a different species than a walleye...

Wes_G
01-24-2015, 09:40 AM
There are certain lakes that you have to release everything period. There are certain lakes that you can keep a certain limit of a certain size, and then there are certain lakes that you can only keep if you have been drawn for a tag.

Kim473
01-30-2015, 08:17 AM
You can probably get a class C tag for Pigeion Lake at any place that sells Licences and tags. Not sure if any that size will be caught there though. All the walleye in there are probably too big. Calling lake has a catch of one, no tag needed. I think south Buck may have a keep one limit with no tag. Check the regs for a lake you wish to fish. They will say if tags are in place or not. Then check, Alberta relm on the internet.

http://albertaregulations.ca/Walleye-Draws-Brochure-2014.pdf

cube
01-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Pickerel is a different species than a walleye...

In allot of places in Canada pickerel and walleye are used synonymously. Just because some middle americans want to call small jack fish, pickerel does not mean everybody in the world has to as well. There are lots of common names used locally for fish species like Northern Pike, Jack fish, snot rocket, slough shark and nobody gets bent out of shape when we use them but for some reason Pickerel is somehow treated differently... hmm. Does not really make sense to me.

bubba 96
01-30-2015, 11:59 AM
In allot of places in Canada pickerel and walleye are used synonymously. Just because some middle americans want to call small jack fish pickerel does not mean everybody in the world has to as well. There are lots of common names used locally for fish species like Northern Pike, Jack fish, snot rocket, slough shark and nobody gets bent out of shape when we use them but for some reason Pickerel is somehow treated differently... hmm. Does not really make sense to me.

I realize that but just informing guys..but they are 2 different speices
http://www.reelnorthoutfitters.com/images/walleye_vs_pickerel.pdf

TippyCanoe
01-30-2015, 12:38 PM
How many threads have to get derailed with the pickerel vs. walleye argument? We all fisher men/woman and know what fish species MsFinch was talking about.

Walleye's no more correct or incorrect than pickerel. They're common names!

Stizostedion vitreum but nobody wants to spew that mouthful out all the time.

MsFinch: I agree with an earlier post that if you want to catch a bunch of pickerel/walleye and may want to keep one for supper then look at getting a Class C tag for Pigeon. You may have to catch 50 larger ones before you fill your smaller Class C tags, but there's worse ways to spend your day.

Frozenflyguy
01-30-2015, 12:55 PM
actually it is now Sander Vitreus :)

can't help myself ... being a fisheries biologist and all

TippyCanoe
01-30-2015, 12:57 PM
HaHa. Right you are. I forgot they changed in a few years ago.