PDA

View Full Version : Making garlic sausage

Jimmyjambo
12-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Hello, I am looking for some help on making sausage. I have some equipment (20lb mixer, 20lb press, scale, a freind is lending me a grinder and a smoker) and I went and bought some casing. From what I undertand is that I need to mix 20 lb of my venison and 5 lb of pork with the package of seasoning that has the cure in it. this is were I am confused. Does anyone know how much ice water to add, and do I need to let it stand or can I put it in the smoker right away? I find it funny howthe stores wont give you much help.

The Elkster
12-17-2008, 10:05 PM
You would typically use 1/3 to 1/4 weight in water. Use ice water as temp throughout is key to keeping a good fat/water emulsion. Use part water and part crushed ice to keep the temps down throughout processing of mixing and grinding. A good store will help ya. I mean it'll only mean more mixes sold. Maybe ya hit them on a bad day.

Jimmyjambo
12-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks for that do you know if I can smoke it that night.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks for that do you know if I can smoke it that night.

Talk to buckmaster , he is one guy I defenetly know who builds his own sausage JohnAb might be able to help you as well but I know Buckmaster will .

Piker
12-18-2008, 08:44 AM
I personally use at least 30% pork fat or ground pork. Its pretty dry if you dont. I also mix all spices in whatever fluid i am using [beer] and then mix it in with the ground meatI use 1 bottle to 5lbs of meat keeping everything very cold. Leave mixed meat either in container or casings overnite to let the cure work you can even leave it 2 nights. then smoke at a temp. no higher than 170F or the fat will render out, Use a temp probe so sausage is at least 152f internal may take awhile depending on diameter of sausage. When done cool down to about 100f in water bath or in this weather just leave outside for a while. hope this helps. Lots of tips,recipes etc. on google

Hunter Trav
12-18-2008, 08:50 AM
http://www.smoking-meat.com/index.html

Here is all the info you will ever need. Great website, but use caution when going there, you may need a new keyboard after your done drooling over all the amazing stuff some people are smoking over there... :D

303 Epps
12-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Try the folks at Atlas Cutlery -ww w.atlascutlery.com If you are in Edm, you can pop by and see them or they also give great advice over the phone and internet. If you want to make a low fat sausage, they can tell you how to do it. Good Luck!

Tofinofish
12-18-2008, 09:26 AM
My Uncle is a Chef by trade, and a sausage guru with his business (Rock's Country Meats) between Hines Creek and Woresley. Aside from the beer part of the process, the outline below is pretty well the same as his, with a lot of naturals - Garlic etc. Leaving the meat to cure a bit in the casing is helpful, but not a make or break for your finished product.
I'm sure he would provide his insight, but he can't type worth a s''''t with fat butcher fingers, and is still processing 20/7 to get done with wild game for the season.

Jay

I personally use at least 30% pork fat or ground pork. Its pretty dry if you dont. I also mix all spices in whatever fluid i am using [beer] and then mix it in with the ground meatI use 1 bottle to 5lbs of meat keeping everything very cold. Leave mixed meat either in container or casings overnite to let the cure work you can even leave it 2 nights. then smoke at a temp. no higher than 170F or the fat will render out, Use a temp probe so sausage is at least 152f internal may take awhile depending on diameter of sausage. When done cool down to about 100f in water bath or in this weather just leave outside for a while. hope this helps. Lots of tips,recipes etc. on google

Justanotherbuck2
12-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Use 3-4 oz of Ice water per lb. and I prefer to let it sit over night to set in the flavour. Keep between 3-4 degrees temp. If you don't have a place to store at a good temp, Start in the morning mix in brine, cure and Ice water and let sit for an hour or more if possible.Next, grind into your casings or push through stuffer, and right into the smoker..blanch in cold water after smoking,good luck and remember the first time is not always your perfected product.