PDA

View Full Version : Carson Report Jan.24/14

Bobby B.
01-25-2015, 10:41 AM
My buddy, Jeff, and I arrived at Carson a bit before noon.

We drove out onto the ice heading westward and just kept going until we were past everyone else. On the way, we stopped beside a group of 3 guys and asked how the fishing was. While we were chatiing, one of them hooks and lands a nice rainbow. They tell us they fish this same spot all the time and always catch lots of trout. One of the 3 goes on to say they always postion their presentation a foot of the bottom and that the best bait is shrimp cooked in olive oil and garlic.

Jeff and I continued on another 70-80 yards and stopped to set up. We drilled 6 holes; 2 close together next to the truck to be out of the wind, 2 about 15 ft. away (close enough we could still watch a bobber), and 2 more further away that we could move to if needed.

On Jeff's deadman, we used a white body jig tipped with 2 mealworms. On my deadman, I had a pink head jig tipped with raw shrimp. For his hand held rod, Jeff had on a small jig tipped with mealworms. For my hand held, a had a #12 hook tied 6-7 inches lower than a 1/8 oz Slender Spoon. This small hook was tipped with meal worms.

The first bite came about 5 minutes after setting up. It was a 14" rainbow on Jeff's deadman, his first ever rainbow. Congrats buddy! The next bite was on my deadman with the shrimp, a 10" rainbow. All in all, Jeff iced 4 fish and I iced 8, all on our deadmen setups. In addition, we had at least another 15 bites (more like nibbles) that we couldn't hook.

What a great day on the ice. Thanks, to all who offered advice, we definitely benefited from your suggestions.

Bobby

chop
01-25-2015, 11:59 AM
that's one lake i always wanted to try. how far of a drive is it from Edmonton ?

Texican
01-25-2015, 12:57 PM
It's only about 2 hours from Edmonton.

diamond k
01-25-2015, 04:25 PM
How was the ice thickness?

Bobby B.
01-25-2015, 11:12 PM
How was the ice thickness?

Although I never actually measured it, I would estimate the thickness around 24" or more.

Bobby

Stryker2
01-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Sounds like you had a great experience! Thanks for sharing with us. Yes I too have been wanting to give it a try. My chiropractor goes there all the time and swears by it! Gives me all kinds of tips. He said to go very early as the sun rises that's when they bite the best. So one of these days I'll have to get up at 5 am and get out there!

Gerry
01-26-2015, 10:24 AM
that's one lake i always wanted to try. how far of a drive is it from Edmonton ?

I was out there yesterday, landed 7 and they all went back.
I filled up at Gunn and set the trip odometer. From Gunn to parked on the lake,131 klm
The ice was 16" measured where we were.

Bigwoodsman
01-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good time for sure. Just added Carson to the destination list for this winter.

BW

finner-duramax
01-26-2015, 10:30 AM
If you're not catching at Carson, you're doing something wrong.
Fun lake to catch on

Stryker2
01-26-2015, 11:18 AM
And if one was to keep one for the frying pan, are they good tasting from there..does anybody know?...

nast70
01-26-2015, 12:05 PM
And if one was to keep one for the frying pan, are they good tasting from there..does anybody know?...
They taste way better caught in the winter than the summer

canadiantdi
01-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Carson has a nice campground also.. went there last summer, lots of fish!

nast70
01-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Catch crayfish in the summer too

Bobby B.
01-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Catch crayfish in the summer too

Do you eat the crayfish?

Bobby

nast70
01-26-2015, 03:54 PM
You can. The park rangers pass out the little welcome flyers for campers, and in small print is usually a note about them and how to catch them. I dont think they actively ask people to eat them but several times I have seen large crayfish boils in others campsites. Cook em like lobster. We haven't eaten them but the kids always have a blast catching them.

CNP
01-31-2015, 12:14 AM
Sounds like good ice this year? Last year was real crappy.....flooded with lots of snow on top. So no flooding this year? Thinking of taking the grand kids on Sunday.

Bobby B.
01-31-2015, 08:20 AM
Sounds like good ice this year? Last year was real crappy.....flooded with lots of snow on top. So no flooding this year? Thinking of taking the grand kids on Sunday.

My SIL, SuperDave, and I are headed there this morning. I'll try to remember to post a report when I return home tonight.

Bobby