PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun ice thickness

tonypower
01-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Hey guys, my friend just called me and said he heard on the radio that a truck went through the ice at wabamun. I honestly can't see it but you never know. If you were out this weekend how was it?

EZM
01-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Likely some guy trying to drive under the bridge where there is current .... seems to happen every couple years ......... not sure why people ignore the signs and don't use common sense under areas where there is flowing water.

Hopefully nobody was hurt.

Safety D
01-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Ice is good to drive on. Was on last weekend. about 18 inches

Jamie Black R/T
01-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Likely some guy trying to drive under the bridge where there is current .... seems to happen every couple years ......... not sure why people ignore the signs and don't use common sense under areas where there is flowing water.

Hopefully nobody was hurt.

yup first thing i thought of as well...gotta be the bridge.

if thats the case its back to back winters now.

crblair
01-26-2015, 01:15 PM
12-14in on west side of the lake

ELECTRIC FISHER
01-26-2015, 01:53 PM
The ice was 20" at least at Seba Beach yesterday.

mooseknuckle
01-26-2015, 05:14 PM
yup first thing i thought of as well...gotta be the bridge.

if thats the case its back to back winters now.

X3 or that outlet west of town. Not the old hot water cooling one. The one closer to the sailing club. Ice tends to thing there. Guy dumped his Toyota there last year and was on here threatening to sue for posting pics of it. If I recall it was just the tail gate of the truck showing.

Jamie Black R/T
01-26-2015, 05:51 PM
X3 or that outlet west of town. Not the old hot water cooling one. The one closer to the sailing club. Ice tends to thing there. Guy dumped his Toyota there last year and was on here threatening to sue for posting pics of it. If I recall it was just the tail gate of the truck showing.
I remember seeing that one as well as the one under the bridge with just the Top of the cab showing

mooseknuckle
01-26-2015, 05:56 PM
I remember seeing that one as well as the one under the bridge with just the Top of the cab showing

That's right. Think it was a silver dodge if I'm not mistaken.

RavYak
01-26-2015, 06:04 PM
12-14in on west side of the lake

Where on the west end? Myself and others have been driving on the west end for a month now and always been 15+ inches, lately closer to 20.

lromanchuk
01-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Where on the west end? Myself and others have been driving on the west end for a month now and always been 15+ inches, lately closer to 20.

Just off RR53. Couple hundred yards off shore. I assume you fish 55? I've personally been off 53 5 times in the last 2-3 weeks and the MOST ice I've seen is 14 inches. And thats generous.

RavYak
01-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Just off RR53. Couple hundred yards off shore. I assume you fish 55? I've personally been off 53 5 times in the last 2-3 weeks and the MOST ice I've seen is 14 inches. And thats generous.

RR 53 on south side? Must be thin ice there for some reason if so. North side in that vicinity has been 15+ inches since December 27th when we started driving on.

lromanchuk
01-26-2015, 07:29 PM
RR 53 on south side? Must be thin ice there for some reason if so. North side in that vicinity has been 15+ inches since December 27th when we started driving on.

ya south side. directly south of Fallis pretty much. On the south shore.

RavYak
01-26-2015, 08:52 PM
ya south side. directly south of Fallis pretty much. On the south shore.

Note to self, don't drive along south shore.

Double-Eh
01-26-2015, 09:22 PM
How is it out there for flood water etc with this heat? Planning on going to fallis Wednesday.

crblair
01-26-2015, 09:41 PM
How is it out there for flood water etc with this heat? Planning on going to fallis Wednesday.

Was out there a few days ago and there wasn't any flood water

EZM
01-27-2015, 10:58 AM
On the west side of the lake - along the north side, as Rav mentioned, there has been lot's of nice, solid, thick, clear ice. Over 20" now and consistent for a long time. There was 16" of solid ice around new years.

I am quite surprised to see that Seba and that south side have that much less ice considering there are not major inflows or springs there (as far as I'm aware).

I know the water temp out of the remaining plant is a few degrees warmer - but that's pretty far east of there .....

Just reminds us all to use caution.

Geezle
01-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Yep, that's the old intake

Jbone
01-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Not all to familiar with the lake but I was there a couple weeks ago and to the right of fallis looking at the lake it was 12" consistently

Willowtrail
01-27-2015, 09:50 PM
I was out by town a couple weeks ago. Was in my side by side and hit bad flood water on my way west. We didn't get as far as Point Allison and had to turn back. Would have been in line with the old Outflow.

Turned back and hit dry ice and set up for the day on 20" of ice

EZM
01-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Since there is no active current in the outflow .....(after decommissioning it) I wonder if a spring is causing this thin ice? seems strange ..... good to know to stay away from there I guess.

Red Neck
01-28-2015, 02:59 PM
I was out in the fog yesterday drove along north shore fishing was slow so I drove out to the hump in the middle of the lake. Ice was good every were? 17-inches out in the middle, but it is creepy as theres almost no snow cover just frozen flood water
Red Neck Out
:scared0018:

cube
01-28-2015, 04:10 PM
I am quite surprised to see that Seba and that south side have that much less ice considering there are not major inflows or springs there (as far as I'm aware).

It was always my understanding that just south of Seba and a little further east along the south shore is where Wab gets the majority of it's surface water. Given the warm temps lately I could see increased flows coming in via those sources.