PDA

View Full Version : Isle Lake

Dakota369
01-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Anybody have any luck lately out there for perch?

Thanks

D

linger
01-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Don't even waste your time there. zero all across the board for all species.:)

edmhunter
01-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Is that ever sad! Wondering why the Government does not stock it? :confused:

Rennich98
01-26-2015, 05:59 PM
I've really been wanting to try it...heard lots of good feedback recently...hopefully soon

EZM
01-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Is that ever sad! Wondering why the Government does not stock it? :confused:

I think it's not a great candidate to stock considering the high risks associated with winter and summerkills.

Lake is Hyper-Eutrophic - super high productivity for algal growth and subject to frequent winter kills and frequent summer kills due to the lack of O2 levels.

This does mean there is lots of food and nutrients in there and any fish that do survive will likely have lots to eat and they will grow quickly. But if you consider a winter or summer kill every few years, it's really irrelevant.

The lake is more like a 10km long slew that is a part of the sturgeon river system. Average depths are extremely shallow at about 4m with most of the lake covered and choked in weed mass. It's shallow, murky and prone to massive blue/green cyanobacteria growth.

After these frequent kills - Fish will repopulate the lake from adjoining watershed and the cycle starts all over again.

I wouldn't support having my dollars go to stock a lake that could see the fish we stocked die off.

linger
01-26-2015, 06:16 PM
Those are really good points EZM:)

edmhunter
01-26-2015, 06:32 PM
I think it's not a great candidate to stock considering the high risks associated with winter and summerkills.

Lake is Hyper-Eutrophic - super high productivity for algal growth and subject to frequent winter kills and frequent summer kills due to the lack of O2 levels.

This does mean there is lots of food and nutrients in there and any fish that do survive will likely have lots to eat and they will grow quickly. But if you consider a winter or summer kill every few years, it's really irrelevant.

The lake is more like a 10km long slew that is a part of the sturgeon river system. Average depths are extremely shallow at about 4m with most of the lake covered and choked in weed mass. It's shallow, murky and prone to massive blue/green cyanobacteria growth.

After these frequent kills - Fish will repopulate the lake from adjoining watershed and the cycle starts all over again.

I wouldn't support having my dollars go to stock a lake that could see the fish we stocked die off.

Thanks for clearing that up EZM! A friend of mine used to live on the lake and he said the fishing was good! :thinking-006:

EZM
01-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Thanks for clearing that up EZM! A friend of mine used to live on the lake and he said the fishing was good! :thinking-006:

It is a productive lake and has large in and outflows. Fish will definitely move in and enjoy a period of feasting in this highly productive lake. I'm sure the fishing can be great.

Keep in mind a lake can winterkill or summerkill, but that could be anything from a mild kill, to a complete kill and anything in between.

Whites are usually the first to go.

My point is I think I'd rather stock into a lake that has a better overall survival rate if I were the SRD.

crownb
01-27-2015, 09:20 PM
It is a productive lake and has large in and outflows. Fish will definitely move in and enjoy a period of feasting in this highly productive lake. I'm sure the fishing can be great.

Keep in mind a lake can winterkill or summerkill, but that could be anything from a mild kill, to a complete kill and anything in between.

Whites are usually the first to go.

My point is I think I'd rather stock into a lake that has a better overall survival rate if I were the SRD.

My question is then why when there was fish left in there you couldn't keep the walleye without a tag, if we all know its a matter of time till they kill off then we should of been able to at least eat them, instead they are all floaters, what a waste. I feel like this was more mismanagement!!!! It was a really Great Lake to ice fish.:mad0030:

Graffy91
01-27-2015, 09:28 PM
My question is then why when there was fish left in there you couldn't keep the walleye without a tag, if we all know its a matter of time till they kill off then we should of been able to at least eat them, instead they are all floaters, what a waste. I feel like this was more mismanagement!!!! It was a really Great Lake to ice fish.:mad0030:

They did not expect it at the time to winter kill. Isle will never, in my opinion sustain a fishery.

Just like Pigeon, Ste. Anne and Fawcett. These lakes are prime examples of how over fishing and algae growth destroy populations. I do believe, they should close Pigeon and Ste. Anne fully to retention for a couple of years, see some real growth and let mother nature take her course. Just like Wabamun has. Hopefully they never open Wabamun to any type of retention.

Sooner
01-27-2015, 09:29 PM

I spent a few trips out there as a kid ice fishing and again as a 20 something. I agree, ice fishing was good and i have met some people through my work who live on the lake and say the summer fishing was good also. Nice big lake like that and it can't stay viable. Much like Nakamun and Thunder.

EZM
01-27-2015, 09:29 PM

I can't disagree with that logic to be honest.

I think that lake serves as a spring nursery for walleyes, within that entire watershed, it's definitely an excellent candidate for spawning and fast early life cycle growth. That's all I can think of that might be part of it. I'm not connected with the SRD and don't know how these decisions are made.

Despite the frequent kills .... they did net and stock Wabamun from there as well if memory serves me right.

EZM
01-27-2015, 09:37 PM
They did not expect it at the time to winter kill. Isle will never, in my opinion sustain a fishery.

Just like Pigeon, Ste. Anne and Fawcett. These lakes are prime examples of how over fishing and algae growth destroy populations. I do believe, they should close Pigeon and Ste. Anne fully to retention for a couple of years, see some real growth and let mother nature take her course. Just like Wabamun has. Hopefully they never open Wabamun to any type of retention.

Agree on the first part and most of what you say on the second part.

My only comment, question, concern is about Wabamun.

I have, admittedly, changed my perspective as I'm watching this lake evolve.

All of a sudden the walleye are all over the lake. It scares me to think 3 years ago they were a rare mythical creature (like a unicorn) only seen by a few. They are common now.

If this trend continues they will be jumping right into your boat in a year or two ...lol

I think this may have some effect on the Pike populations as they will compete for forage.

Not sure what that effect that may be ..... hopefully won't destroy the trophy potential of that lake.

I wouldn't hesitate to slow the walleye invasion down a bit to give the pike a bit of room to adjust. That might mean retention of walleye in one form or another.

I also don't think it would hurt to remove more walleye out of pigeon either .... they are getting smaller and it might be because they are stunting their own growth.

I don't have the answers ..... just my thoughts as they evolve.

warriorboy10
01-27-2015, 09:42 PM

Sure seems that way!
What I don't get is why is it that so many of the lakes in Alberta are mismanaged?? Either SRD doesn't have a clue what their doing, which I believe to a certain extent or the anglers of this province don't understand what SRD us trying to accomplish.
SRD are supposed to be the guardians of the resource, what they are doing lake by lake is destroying them!! One by one and its happening much faster than you'd think!! So sad!!

Pencilweed
01-27-2015, 11:07 PM
Very true.

crf250xtom
01-27-2015, 11:17 PM
What's really sad is that everyone wants to keep keep keep no one wants to just go fishing it's ridiculous if you really need to keep fish go to superstore and buy some much cheaper then driving to a lake and trying to find some keepers.

crownb
01-27-2015, 11:47 PM
What's really sad is that everyone wants to keep keep keep no one wants to just go fishing it's ridiculous if you really need to keep fish go to superstore and buy some much cheaper then driving to a lake and trying to find some keepers.

Really!! That's false I believe, go to wabamun on the weekends that place is a zoo, my point was if the lake was destined to die off then let us reap some of the rewards.

crf250xtom
01-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Really!! That's false I believe, go to wabamun on the weekends that place is a zoo, my point was if the lake was destined to die off then let us reap some of the rewards.

Go to wabuman on the weekends and ask if they know the lake is closed to retention or ask people you see in the bait shop just cause people are there doesn't mean they are following the rules.

Why should you be able to keep fish there cause it winter kills? How do you know the fish you were going to keep wasn't just there for forage and was gonna move back up the sturgeon river just cause a lake winter kills doesn't mean you should be given the right to go pillage it. But of course that is the albertan way pillage now complain later.

Graffy91
01-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Agree on the first part and most of what you say on the second part.

My only comment, question, concern is about Wabamun.

I have, admittedly, changed my perspective as I'm watching this lake evolve.

All of a sudden the walleye are all over the lake. It scares me to think 3 years ago they were a rare mythical creature (like a unicorn) only seen by a few. They are common now.

If this trend continues they will be jumping right into your boat in a year or two ...lol

I think this may have some effect on the Pike populations as they will compete for forage.

Not sure what that effect that may be ..... hopefully won't destroy the trophy potential of that lake.

I wouldn't hesitate to slow the walleye invasion down a bit to give the pike a bit of room to adjust. That might mean retention of walleye in one form or another.

I also don't think it would hurt to remove more walleye out of pigeon either .... they are getting smaller and it might be because they are stunting their own growth.

I don't have the answers ..... just my thoughts as they evolve.

I fully agree with you on the statements said EZM.

I would not hesitate to thin Pigeon and Ste. Anne out since the pike population, perch as well are suffering.

There's too many predators, not enough forage. This is the case I believe with Wabamun within the next couple of years since like you stated the appearance of walleye.

SRD will need to do some heavy monitoring on wabamun, or else we may perhaps lose our beloved trophy pike lake within our backyard... Sounds oh too familiar... :(:angry3:

crownb
01-29-2015, 12:11 AM
Go to wabuman on the weekends and ask if they know the lake is closed to retention or ask people you see in the bait shop just cause people are there doesn't mean they are following the rules.

Why should you be able to keep fish there cause it winter kills? How do you know the fish you were going to keep wasn't just there for forage and was gonna move back up the sturgeon river just cause a lake winter kills doesn't mean you should be given the right to go pillage it. But of course that is the albertan way pillage now complain later.

I didn't say we should all go pillage the lake, but if it is going to winter kill then why not keep some for the pan, pretty straight forward. Otherwise the fish are all wasted, I don't understand what you are trying to get at. I don't know of hardly any lakes that get pillaged anymore, they are all strongly regulated.

Kim473
01-29-2015, 08:03 AM
I didn't say we should all go pillage the lake, but if it is going to winter kill then why not keep some for the pan, pretty straight forward. Otherwise the fish are all wasted, I don't understand what you are trying to get at. I don't know of hardly any lakes that get pillaged anymore, they are all strongly regulated.

I have probably fished as much this year if not more as compared to previous years and have not seen a single CO or F&G person this year at all. Compared to years past I would have been checked at least 3 - 4 times.

Guess now that the barbless hook thing is in the past, they won't hand out as many fines, so its not worth their time.

I for one have had some of my best Perch fishing at Lake Isle in past years. Not any more for a while untill it comes back. I wonder if they will take eyes from Wab and put back into Isle.

chriscosta
01-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Funny i did see a fish n game officer at lac la biche ...he came out at 5 o clock talked to one of the 50 people out there...meanwhike therewas way more people in the day ...and he drove right by me n my buddy as we were filleting our days catch and didnt even so much as ask to see what we caught ... i found it odd to say the least

wind drift
01-29-2015, 09:01 PM

So how might a winter kill be predicted before the oxygen levels get so low that fish activity is basically nil? Winter kill isn't always severe or consistent. By the time a winter kill is apparent, fishing success would likely be very poor. Killing fish because they might die doesn't sound like a very solid, sustainable approach.

EZM
01-29-2015, 10:08 PM
This year I have seen a CO (F&W) at least 3 times in the last 8 weeks (since ice fishing got under way).

I really like seeing them out there and appreciate what they do to help us protect our resource. I just wish I saw them more often to be honest .... too many guys out there breaking the rules and making a mess all over the ice.

edsonfisherman
01-31-2015, 09:09 AM
I have family that also live on lake isle and they were telling me that SRD told them that they screwed up by letting the weeds grow and not cutting them which contributes to the winter kills. They will also be starting their weed cutting program again after the may long weekend. The one thing that really made me scratch my head is that the sprucegrove SRD office no longer manages this lake but the Athabasca one does.:angry3:

Penner
01-31-2015, 10:38 AM
I have family that also live on lake isle and they were telling me that SRD told them that they screwed up by letting the weeds grow and not cutting them which contributes to the winter kills. They will also be starting their weed cutting program again after the may long weekend. The one thing that really made me scratch my head is that the sprucegrove SRD office no longer manages this lake but the Athabasca one does.:angry3:

Ya cutting the weeds is going to be an effective solution :sHa_sarcasticlol:. how about you get the property owners to stop fertilizing their lawns around the lake and get the live stock farmers out of the sturgeon river drainage basin.

linger
01-31-2015, 11:25 AM
Good point penner oh but that would be to easy of a solution for those morons. :angry3: