PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the west coast trail

rangerrandy
01-26-2015, 03:47 PM
A friend of mine and I have decided to hike the west coast trail this summer. It is a 7 day hike. I think I have everything I need but I am looking for a bigger back pack. Any suggestions on what would be a good pack for this trip? Also any advice from folks that have hiked it already? Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

CanadianPsycho
01-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Get an Osprey in your preferred color and size requirements, i would go with a 75 liter, if you share a tent, stove and cooking gear you can get everything you need into them no problem. plus with an osprey pack you have an amazing warranty and a very good quality pack. If you don't want to spend as much, the MEC bags are decent, if you want to spend more, Mystery Ranch or Bergens of Norway are excellent choices.

CheeseBurger
01-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Arc'Teryx or Gregory make great packs.

Heater
01-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Next to your pack, your choice of foot ware is very important. Make sure any boots you are going to wear are very well broken in.I seen people on that hike that feet that looked like hamburger, not a lot fun... Also suggest getting a copy of Blisters and Bliss, good read, click the link.We went first week of Aug and had terrific weather for 7 days, weather is the wild card??
http://www.blistersbliss.ca

antlerguy
01-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Watch the tide.

Selkirk
01-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Of all the equipment to use on pretty much any 7 day trek, 'boots' would be the most important. But that's not to belittle the importance of a good pack ... some good recs have been made here already.

The West Coast Trail is on my bucket list. Guest I better get 'er done, before I'm so old, they'll have to carry me :lol:

Have fun, take lots of photos, and ... :sign0111:

Mac

birdee
01-26-2015, 06:13 PM
water proof boots,its not called a rainforest for nothing.Better to have them and not need them.Every year they have to send in the helicopter to pick someone that has broken a leg or twisted an ankle.Did i mention boots and a good pair.:thinking-006:

Red Bullets
01-26-2015, 06:42 PM
You might want to read this: It is a MUST read for trail users.

http://www.westcoasttrailbc.com/trail_guidebook_map.htm

fishunter327
01-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Bring some cash. FN has a couple spots on the trail you can buy a beer and something to eat. Good way to reduce some weight and a cold beer never tasted soooo good.
I use a Rockwater Design Andromeda 100 and it has stood up very well. Its quite large but I am glad I have one that big.
I never like to pack more than 45lbs that is my limit for multiday hikes.
Enjoy FH327

Hydro1
01-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Only reason i havent hiked it is because i cant have a dog with me.
I look forward to seeing some pictures and reading a trip report... Hint hint.

Burrowing Owl
01-26-2015, 07:36 PM
I've done the trail.

- Well broken in hiking boots that will not allow you ankles to bend.
- Light shoes for wearing around camp.
- Collapsible hiking staff.
- Sturdy gloves, some of the ladders are long and slivered.
- Quality rain gear.
- Moleskin for the blisters you WILL get.
- Twice the data storage space you think you will need, there are spectacular pictures to be had (don't forget extra camera batteries)

Have a great time. Look around you all the time, don't get hung up in the hike itself, the beauty is astounding.

plumbcrazy
01-26-2015, 08:09 PM
I live there, hiked it. Remember one thing, rain gear, water proof boats and hike with low tide. The trail can suck, but the sea shelf is awsome. Do your homework. Hike the shelf/beach where you can. I won't do it again. To many granola crunchers! My father in law got a ride out from the coast gaurd last summer after impalling a tree branch through his face! Nice cork gumboots is what I would wear!

roger
01-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Hi, This is Roger's wife. I have done the WCT twice now. Once 9 years ago for 7 days where we had absolutely no rain. I went again this past summer and took 8 days where we had 2 days of mostly sun and 6 days of mostly rain. I recommend purchasing a sturdy but light weight pack. I bought a Gregory pack the first time I went and I used the same pack again this last summer. It is sturdy without being too heavy. It stood up to the rain without becoming rain soaked. I use the same pack in the mountains and also took it on a 6 day backpack this fall in the Grand Canyon. It has withstood tons of abuse, wet and sharp rocks. After 10 years it is starting to show a bit of wear, but I will continue to use it for years to come. My day pack is also now a Gregory. The trail is awesome and is a lot of fun. There are some "try not to miss" points along the way (Chez Moniques, Owen Point, Tsuisiat Falls, and food at Nit Nat Narrows). This past year we had to miss Owen Point because of the weather and tide times, but if you can manage it I hope you can get there. It's the only place like it that I have ever been to. This last year we also took a boat ride between Port Renfrew and Bamfield and I highly recommend it if he is still doing the taxi service. It beats the bumpy bus ride between the start and end of the trail and it is a relatively cheap whale watching tour. This last year it was the highlight of my trip. It is a terrific experience and I hope you enjoy the trek! Claudette

roger
01-26-2015, 09:33 PM
hi this is roger,
the eight day trek was awesome and come to think of it,...her six day adventure was good too,
as I did not go, and stayed home I enjoyed good BBq food, good beer, quality TV programming which did not include anything from the "home and garden" channel.
just plain ol' peace and quiet. only difference being less whiskers in the bathroom sink...
I highly recommend that she go once or even twice a year.

JimPS
01-26-2015, 11:36 PM
As Roger's wife says, try to get Brian's water taxi back from Bamfield to Port Renfrew.

Not sure if he's still running.

Brian's Schedule, from June 2011

Arrive Bamfield East Government some time between 09:45 and 10:00 AM.
Leave Bamfield East Government Dock @ 12:30 noon sharp (passengers should be there no later than 12:15 for loading and safety briefing). Note: If you are having problems getting from Parks Canada Pachena Bay Infocentre and think you will be a bit late, phone my toll-free number 1-877-332-5333 and let me know!
Arrive Port Renfrew Community Dock (Old Government Dock) in Snuggery Cove, sometime between 15:30 and 16:00.
$135 per person, all taxes included. VISA or MC for confirmation. Pay on vessel with VISA, MC, Travellers Cheques, Cash.

twofifty
01-27-2015, 12:44 AM
Great advice all above.

If you can add a day or even 2 to your schedule, then you will feel less rushed.
There was so much to see and take in that I was often taking my pack off and examining the beach, the pools, the wreckage, the plants.

I supplemented my freeze dry stuff with freshly caught California mussels (no red tide when I was there), and had a bit of cooking oil and some onion to cook them up with.

Staying dry and warm can be a challenge. It really helps to have 3 sock combinations that are proven compatible with your broken-in boots.

I saw 4 people on my trail experience!

Have fun.

no60
01-27-2015, 04:52 AM
I did the trail 10 years ago. Yes, comfortable, broken in boots. Be very conservative with the weight of your pack and your abilities. It rained for 12 hrs one day and more than 2 dozen people were evac'd by boat. The day after was absolutely beautiful. We found that many people brought too much food or inappropriate food. You will likely find canned goods (lol!) 5lb bags of rice and other abandoned goodies in the main bear proof food caches. bonus.
harvesting anything in the nat. park is prohibited, but as mentioned, there are sea food options and tons of wild mushrooms if you are familiar with them. there are fishing opportunities if you have a pack rod. a couple spoons and a small pack of 1 or 1/0 hooks will suffice. (worth taking imo). You will be out there for a while. If you have any addictions, be prepared. Without coffee, sugar, or other things you will be miserable. take some sugar or hard candies.

coppercarbide
01-27-2015, 10:20 AM
I did the trail this year, my pack weight at the trailhead was just shy of 26lbs.

Did the whole trail in ultralight running shoes, worked very well.

I would NOT do it without hiking poles.

I made an excel packing and food list, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Okotokian
01-27-2015, 11:07 AM
If memory serves, you have to apply to hike it and they have a limited number of slots, no? If so, I'd do that before buying a lot of gear.

One more recommendation for the Osprey pack. I own two. The belts on the larger ones are heated at the store to conform to your hips. Fit beautifully and pack is light and strong. I have heard good things about the Gregory packs MEC carries but they are generally heavier.

twofifty
01-27-2015, 01:41 PM
I did the trail this year, my pack weight at the trailhead was just shy of 26lbs.

Did the whole trail in ultralight running shoes, worked very well.

I would NOT do it without hiking poles.

I made an excel packing and food list, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Wish I'd had the wisdom and discipline to plan and pack that light.

JimPS
01-27-2015, 03:26 PM
If memory serves, you have to apply to hike it and they have a limited number of slots, no? If so, I'd do that before buying a lot of gear.

One more recommendation for the Osprey pack. I own two. The belts on the larger ones are heated at the store to conform to your hips. Fit beautifully and pack is light and strong. I have heard good things about the Gregory packs MEC carries but they are generally heavier.

Unofficially, hiker numbers are down, likely due to an aging population.
If your group is small you can generally get on as "walk on's" either the next day or with a minimal wait time.

coppercarbide
01-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Wish I'd had the wisdom and discipline to plan and pack that light.

Not sure about wisdom, but it served me well. I'll chalk it up to experience, willingness to trade in-camp comfort for on-trail comfort, and complete fiscal irresponsibility (my wife says I should just start buying quads and snowmobiles instead of backpacking gear).

backpacker
01-27-2015, 06:42 PM
I've hiked this trail 3 times now , first was a solo, then with one companion the next two times.

I haven't done the boat tour thing yet, just the bus each time but it served me and my needs well. The boat will drop you off at the dock at either end of the trail, both docks are about 5 kms. from the actual trail head..keep that in mind. The bus will drop you right at the trailhead.

Pack? you say you want a larger pack? Are you sure? The larger the pack, the more needless items you will take, more weight! I am using a Osprey 50 l. now a days and have been able to do 7-8 day hikes easily with it. Osprey have the best waist belt as far as I can say. It doesn't come loose on you over time as much as others and if it does, you just pull the leads forward to tighten it up again. Good quality packs as well.

There is no "applying" to access the trail, just call the reservation line when ready and book you ON time. You can take up to 2 weeks to complete the trail once on it. Be sure to have alternate dates , just in case it has been booked.

Have you decided which direction you will be going? north/south? If you are starting at the south end, you will want to calculate the tides and check out the sea caves at Owen Point, awesome place to visit and see.

Get up early and hike early, get the work done so you can enjoy leisurely evenings and the choice campsites as they fill up quick and you can be hard pressed to find a decent spot at times.

Pack only what you will actually need/use. Split the gear up evenly, take a sil tarp if you have one , at the very least take a tarp to cover your campsite.. being stuck in a 3 man tent during a storm on Carmanah beach for 16 hours will not be anymore fun for you than it was for me and my buddy Joan,lol.

Remember, never try drying your footwear faster by placing it near the fire(shrinks/melts), seen that happen a few times, cedar is dry inside, have a good knife that you can split it with.

If you have more questions, just ask. Hope your trip works out to good weather and good times. Thinking about going once more next summer myself.

North
01-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Buy a pack you can double as a hunting pack. Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Stone glacier are all good companies to look into. Don't spend money on a hiking pack when you can put it towards a good pack that can do both. As far as taking more gear then you need. I consider all hiking trips training for hunting trips so really a full kit of camping stuff will weight less then what you go out into the back country for hunting.

As for trail specifics. Bring really good rain gear. Plan for and expect rain, you may not get it, but better to be prepared.

Be careful about where you put your tent. When we did it, there were people that camped to close to creeks and got flooded out when it started raining in the night.

Aside from that, its a decent coastal hike. Fairly repetitive but I am a mountain guy so its hard to compete with peaks and alpine hiking in my opinion. Very nice scenery and cool wildlife along the way.

Remi834
01-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Hey, did the WCT a few years back. 7 days is a rather leisurely pace, but as others have mentioned, there is no maximum time limit. I think we went start to finish in 5 days.
You will want to pick up a copy of "Blisters and Bliss" it is THE definitive guide to the trail and super helpful for both trip planning and for making route decisions once on the trail. You can find it on Amazon, or most local Chapters, and I think MEC normally stocks a few copies.
You will want decide what direction to do the trail, starting either in Bamfield or Port Refrew. In my opinion the hardest stretch of trail is the 5km between the Prot Renfrew Trailhead and the first campground. Some like to tackle this section first thing while you are feeling fresh and excited, other like to leave it for the final day when the pack will be the lightest.
Enjoy the trip!

twofifty
01-27-2015, 11:44 PM
Very nice scenery and cool wildlife along the way.

A cougar padded right by my tent during one night, near Michigan Creek.
The pawprints were impressive.

WhistlePig
02-13-2015, 04:26 PM
You can only book 3 months in advance but like someone else mentioned if you only have a couple people you can usually walk on pretty quick. Just give yourself an extra day or two just incase. We did it in 6 days from Bamfield to Port Renfrew.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned was gaitors. There are many places where the trail is a mudd pit and will help keep mud out of your boots.
Other than that try to keep your pack as light as you can and hopefully no one in your group has a serious fear of heights. There are some very long, steep and wobbley ladders.

Have a great trip!