PDA

View Full Version : Infected Pike?

waterninja
01-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Caught this young fellow today and I noticed he was covered with black dots. Never seen this on any of the pike iv'e caught before and am wondering if this is somewhat normal, or is this some sort of disease or infection?

RavYak
01-26-2015, 07:20 PM
Black spot parasites. Can't really remember seeing them on a pike before but spring lake rainbow trout are riddled with them...

Red Bullets
01-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Yup. Black Spot parasite. A skin parasite so skin your fillets or fish. Cook well.

Have seen it in a few pike.

huntingaddict
01-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Been to blackket I c. Not in flesh safe to eat

3blade
01-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Agreed, see it every once in a while, moose lake i think is where i saw it. No concern. Vast majority of fish parasites cannot infect humans, even fewer can survive cooking. None I know of in Alberta, or North america for that matter.

wmw9
01-28-2015, 02:25 PM
We caught a sick pike at cow 2 weeks ago...gross red sores. I've fished there several times and had never seen a bad one until 2 weeks ago. We caught 2 like this, and this was the worst one

fishin_guy
01-28-2015, 06:47 PM
We caught a sick pike at cow 2 weeks ago...gross red sores. I've fished there several times and had never seen a bad one until 2 weeks ago. We caught 2 like this, and this was the worst one

In Manitoba I caught a pike with a lamprey on it. When it fell off after landing the fish the marking looked similar to the ones on the pike you caught.

Brock1
01-28-2015, 07:32 PM
That is Herpike simplex 1. They get them from rainbow trout....

Fredo
01-28-2015, 07:38 PM

Some magpies by a lake were having the same kind of big, soft red sores by the head area. Weird.

canadiantdi
01-28-2015, 10:42 PM
That is Herpike simplex 1. They get them from rainbow trout....

lol... rainbows have been known to be quite promiscuous...

bunnyhunter
01-29-2015, 12:47 AM

Those are actually bites from other pike-they tend to get red sore ulcers. not the same as black spot. I got a few like that from a lake with a big pike population and contacted fisheries. its pike eat pike lol
:shark:

AlbertaCutthroat
01-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Some real info regarding the lesion looking pike. I have seen this in many many lakes (including some down south) but this document describes fish from Cow Lake by Rocky.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/fish-management-zones/zone-1-eastern-slopes/documents/CowLake-Jun04-2014.pdf

cube
01-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Those are actually bites from other pike-they tend to get red sore ulcers. not the same as black spot. I got a few like that from a lake with a big pike population and contacted fisheries. its pike eat pike lol
:shark:

The Cow lake lesions are not pike bites. AlbertaCutthroat is bang on.

"AlbertaCutthroat Some real info regarding the lesion looking pike. I have seen this in many many lakes (including some down south) but this document describes fish from Cow Lake by Rocky.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife...Jun04-2014.pdf"