PDA

View Full Version : target practice info

shotgunjoe22
01-27-2015, 11:21 AM
hey guys. i tried to post earlier but i don't think it worked. sorry if i post twice. so I'm new to hunting and looking to hunt big game this year. i need to get in some target practice but pretty unclear where to go. i want to practice outdoors as that is where i will be shooting when i hunt so a shooting range is out. I've been told by most that any crown land is ok to use. sounds good to me but when i looked into the red water and bruderhiem areas, i was linked to a site that said in big bold red letters "target practice in the bruderhiem and redwater areas is strictly prohibited" even tho they are crown land. this has me a little shy now. the few people i know have their regular spots and don't want to relocate, which is understandable, but i need somewhere that is closer to home for me as i now have a pregnant wife and a 6-8 hour day for target practice is more desirable than a 15 hour day or over nighter. I'm hoping to hunt 337 and 338 as they are close enough to home for day trips. any info on these areas, for example can i drive down cutlines to find a spot, can i use lease roads ect. or perhaps where i could obtain a map of crown land boundaries or even who to call for this info, would be greatly appreciated. I've contacted some of the authorities but i usually just get the run around ( if anyone answers at all) so it would be much help if i knew atleast where to start.

thanks in advance

WCTHEMI
01-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Where are you at? There is probably an outdoor rifle range near you that you could join.

shotgunjoe22
01-27-2015, 02:14 PM
thanks for the response, a range, while it does offer a guaranteed place to shoot, also comes with range fees id imagine. id prefer to shoot out in nature as there is no fee in an open field, with exception to the ammo and supplies id have to purchase for myself. it would also give me the opportunity to get a feel for the area i am going to hunt this fall and a bit of exercise is never a bad thing either.

fish_e_o
01-27-2015, 02:22 PM
thanks for the response, a range, while it does offer a guaranteed place to shoot, also comes with range fees id imagine. id prefer to shoot out in nature as there is no fee in an open field, with exception to the ammo and supplies id have to purchase for myself. it would also give me the opportunity to get a feel for the area i am going to hunt this fall and a bit of exercise is never a bad thing either.

well not shooting where you hunt has it's advantages. shooting where you hunt has almost no advantages

ranges usually don't have wind, have a good safe back drop and might even be heated. plus you're not spooking or putting the animals on edge.

just my opinion

shotgunjoe22
01-27-2015, 02:36 PM
very true about spooking the animals, i didn't consider that. however seeing as how season doesn't start for about 7 months I'm sure if i went and shot a few rounds to get some target practice tomorrow, there would probably be hundreds if not thousands of rounds let off between when i shoot and the 2015 season start date that it probably wouldn't be me that would spook em. for that matter wouldn't hunting season be the most likely to spook em as people are not just shooting rounds but actually taking animals down???
on the topic of wind and heat....... id like to practice in conditions that will be present when i hunt, wind and cold are usually present during hunting season no?

shotgunjoe22
01-27-2015, 02:40 PM
oh and on the topic of a backdrop, obviously being sure of your shot and beyond is necessary so i would obviously pick somewhere that has a large mound of dirt or sand as my backdrop.

elkdump
01-27-2015, 02:43 PM
I was a shooting member for many years at a very popular gun club,,

There were dozens of times we would have to all stop shooting, take a time/out for a moma bear and cubs eating dandelions or clover, digging for ants etc, same for deer with fawns, they could care less,,,

Be careful where you shoot, you might scare something,,,,with the BIG BANGS ,, :snapoutofit:

shotgunjoe22
01-27-2015, 02:58 PM
well i defiantly did not start this thread to get in a heated debate about where other people think is best for practice, range or field, i am not interested in paying a fee too shoot my rifle so a range is out. i was hoping that some more experienced hunters would be willing to share some info with a new hunter on how to obtain information on where i can shoot and where i can not. as i stated in the beginning of my thread "i am new to the sport" so i need a little help in figuring out where to go to shoot. i will be scouting both wmus all summer so that when hunting season starts i know the lay of the land and can stak rather than just sit and ambush and while I'm out there i would like to practice a bit. if that doesn't sit right with you i apologize but it is how i will be doing things. if you would like to share some info on how i can tell if i can shoot in an area or not id greatly appreciate your wisdom, if you feel like just stating the same thing as everyone who has replied on my thread please move on.

fish_e_o
01-27-2015, 03:37 PM
I was a shooting member for many years at a very popular gun club,,

There were dozens of times we would have to all stop shooting, take a time/out for a moma bear and cubs eating dandelions or clover, digging for ants etc, same for deer with fawns, they could care less,,,

Be careful where you shoot, you might scare something,,,,with the BIG BANGS ,, :snapoutofit:

at the pointer party we were shooting clays and a bunch of does walked out and started eating.

there's an argument about what the animals are used to. at a range shooting is the norm in a field shooting is not the norm.

my opinion is that the elusive, mature, big ones are more on edge.

hey i don't study it for the university i just offer my opinion

you should be good to go on pretty much any large section of crown land. check with the lease holder if there is one

elkdump
01-27-2015, 03:44 PM
at the pointer party we were shooting clays and a bunch of does walked out and started eating.

there's an argument about what the animals are used to. at a range shooting is the norm in a field shooting is not the norm.

my opinion is that the elusive, mature, big ones are more on edge.

hey i don't study it for the university i just offer my opinion

you should be good to go on pretty much any large section of crown land. check with the lease holder if there is one

Not to be argumentative, but can anyone tell me how far and how fast wildlife runs after a thunderclap during an electrical storm ? I don't think so !

I have shot deer and elk ,many times, a part of a herd, and many times they just stand there after one of their associates just got shot,

Stonecutter
01-27-2015, 03:56 PM
I used to be on an endless quest to find a good chunk of crown land to shoot on around Edmonton. I got county maps in PDF and married them up to sat photos to see where I need to go. Usually end up disappointed when I get out there to find that it's not a suitable location or it's an oil lease, or the county map isn't accurate (can be out of date 2-4 years).

At one point I was even directed by two F&W Officers to go shoot on a near by oil lease (didn't go over well with the operator).

I spent a lot of time and gas money searching for a good spot within an hour or so of town. Realized - I should just join a range. Safe conditions, you know it'll be there when you get there, and you're surrounded by like-minded folks who might be willing to help you if you have a problem especially if you're inexperienced. I just joined a range this month and am looking forward to getting out there.

I'm not saying go join a range, I'm just saying that might be where it's easiest to end up. $160/yr seems cheap compared to all the gas I've paid for in the past 2-3 summers and half the time I didn't get any lead out.

shotgunjoe22
01-27-2015, 03:58 PM
where would one obtain leaseholder information? I'm still a little bit gun shy so to speak about shooting or hunting after i chose red water and bruderhiem crown land as my target practice area and then followed a link that said target practice is strictly prohibited in these areas.

shotgunjoe22
01-27-2015, 04:00 PM
or bette yet, when i do decide to go hunting how will i know that i am in an area that i am allowed to be?

Masterchief
01-27-2015, 04:10 PM
I used to be on an endless quest to find a good chunk of crown land to shoot on around Edmonton. I got county maps in PDF and married them up to sat photos to see where I need to go. Usually end up disappointed when I get out there to find that it's not a suitable location or it's an oil lease, or the county map isn't accurate (can be out of date 2-4 years).

At one point I was even directed by two F&W Officers to go shoot on a near by oil lease (didn't go over well with the operator).

I spent a lot of time and gas money searching for a good spot within an hour or so of town. Realized - I should just join a range. Safe conditions, you know it'll be there when you get there, and you're surrounded by like-minded folks who might be willing to help you if you have a problem especially if you're inexperienced. I just joined a range this month and am looking forward to getting out there.

I'm not saying go join a range, I'm just saying that might be where it's easiest to end up. $160/yr seems cheap compared to all the gas I've paid for in the past 2-3 summers and half the time I didn't get any lead out.

^^ excellent post. I have been frequenting the same area for several years now, and I still have not found a 100% safe area to shoot in with a nice back stop, although I am still searching. It sucks, but is easier to pay the fees at a range or drive the extra mile to a free public range.

Scott N
01-27-2015, 04:15 PM
One thing to note about target shooting on leased crown land.... it might be possible to get permission to hunt, but more difficult to target shoot.

igorot
01-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Don't feed it :sSc_hiding::sign0014:

fish_e_o
01-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Not to be argumentative, but can anyone tell me how far and how fast wildlife runs after a thunderclap during an electrical storm ? I don't think so !

I have shot deer and elk ,many times, a part of a herd, and many times they just stand there after one of their associates just got shot,

nah i get it. discussion not arguing

i shot a buck right after he mounted a doe and the doe did everything but nudge him to see if he was going to get up and keep chasing her. but a quick bang from an unknown source shouldn't scare an animal all the time thats how second coyotes come out if you keep calling.

i just don't hunt where i shoot, it's not scientific but i notice places where people sight in tend to hold less animals. it's my superstition and i think it has merit.

with all the little things we do to minimize impact like ozonics, scent spray , super camo, brushed in blinds, face paint. it seems like not blasting off and making them feel 100% safe there is a little thing to do

fish_e_o
01-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Don't feed it :sSc_hiding::sign0014:

i don't think anyone is trolling. he asked where to shoot and people are giving opinions about where to do that

no one is getting baited into a fight.

happy honker
01-27-2015, 04:31 PM
I don't shoot where I hunt either, but it's probably more of a personal preference than anything else.
Many times we've been dressing an animal, look up and see another one staring at us.

igorot
01-27-2015, 06:32 PM
i don't think anyone is trolling. he asked where to shoot and people are giving opinions about where to do that

no one is getting baited into a fight.

I'm hoping to hunt 337 and 338 as they are close enough to home for day trips.

or bette yet, when i do decide to go hunting how will i know that i am in an area that i am allowed to be?

Yup :rolleye2:

spoiledsaskhunter
01-27-2015, 08:17 PM
don't know your area at all, but am wondering if it's kinda like getting permission to hunt on someone's place.......maybe you could find a suitable place, check your maps to see who owns it, and respectfully ask if the landowner would consider allowing you to target practice there.

Gunslinger257
01-27-2015, 11:15 PM
Yup :rolleye2:

I wonder if he has an opinion about moderators?

purgatory.sv
01-28-2015, 12:06 AM
hey guys. i tried to post earlier but i don't think it worked. sorry if i post twice. so I'm new to hunting and looking to hunt big game this year. i need to get in some target practice but pretty unclear where to go. i want to practice outdoors as that is where i will be shooting when i hunt so a shooting range is out. I've been told by most that any crown land is ok to use. sounds good to me but when i looked into the red water and bruderhiem areas, i was linked to a site that said in big bold red letters "target practice in the bruderhiem and redwater areas is strictly prohibited" even tho they are crown land. this has me a little shy now. the few people i know have their regular spots and don't want to relocate, which is understandable, but i need somewhere that is closer to home for me as i now have a pregnant wife and a 6-8 hour day for target practice is more desirable than a 15 hour day or over nighter. I'm hoping to hunt 337 and 338 as they are close enough to home for day trips. any info on these areas, for example can i drive down cutlines to find a spot, can i use lease roads ect. or perhaps where i could obtain a map of crown land boundaries or even who to call for this info, would be greatly appreciated. I've contacted some of the authorities but i usually just get the run around ( if anyone answers at all) so it would be much help if i knew atleast where to start.

thanks in advance

very true about spooking the animals, i didn't consider that. however seeing as how season doesn't start for about 7 months I'm sure if i went and shot a few rounds to get some target practice tomorrow, there would probably be hundreds if not thousands of rounds let off between when i shoot and the 2015 season start date that it probably wouldn't be me that would spook em. for that matter wouldn't hunting season be the most likely to spook em as people are not just shooting rounds but actually taking animals down???
on the topic of wind and heat....... id like to practice in conditions that will be present when i hunt, wind and cold are usually present during hunting season no?

oh and on the topic of a backdrop, obviously being sure of your shot and beyond is necessary so i would obviously pick somewhere that has a large mound of dirt or sand as my backdrop.

well i defiantly did not start this thread to get in a heated debate about where other people think is best for practice, range or field, i am not interested in paying a fee too shoot my rifle so a range is out. i was hoping that some more experienced hunters would be willing to share some info with a new hunter on how to obtain information on where i can shoot and where i can not. as i stated in the beginning of my thread "i am new to the sport" so i need a little help in figuring out where to go to shoot. i will be scouting both wmus all summer so that when hunting season starts i know the lay of the land and can stak rather than just sit and ambush and while I'm out there i would like to practice a bit. if that doesn't sit right with you i apologize but it is how i will be doing things. if you would like to share some info on how i can tell if i can shoot in an area or not id greatly appreciate your wisdom, if you feel like just stating the same thing as everyone who has replied on my thread please move on.

where would one obtain leaseholder information? I'm still a little bit gun shy so to speak about shooting or hunting after i chose red water and bruderhiem crown land as my target practice area and then followed a link that said target practice is strictly prohibited in these areas.

Are you really trolling?

If you are all I have said is not true.

Again I am challenged and will consult the handlers to adjust.

fish_e_o
01-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Are you really trolling?

If you are all I have said is not true.

Again I am challenged and will consult the handlers to adjust.

just answer is question. if he's trolling he's doing a terrible job except that it's in the wrong section and it could be searched.

shooting on crown land is not illegal in the slightest and would only be illegal if they are unsafe.

recreational access can not be denied unless they have reasonable grounds on lands that are leased. look up the recreational access website and call that's the only way to know.

we have a little trouble welcoming people...

fish_e_o
01-28-2015, 10:20 AM
just answer is question. if he's trolling he's doing a terrible job except that it's in the wrong section and it could be searched.

shooting on crown land is not illegal in the slightest and would only be illegal if they are unsafe.

recreational access can not be denied unless they have reasonable grounds on lands that are leased. look up the recreational access website and call that's the only way to know.

we have a little trouble welcoming people...
that's directed to all of us not purgatory.sv to be clear

igorot
01-28-2015, 10:33 AM
i will be scouting both wmus all summer so that when hunting season starts i know the lay of the land and can stak rather than just sit and ambush and while I'm out there i would like to practice a bit. if that doesn't sit right with you i apologize but it is how i will be doing things. if you would like to share some info on how i can tell if i can shoot in an area or not id greatly appreciate your wisdom, if you feel like just stating the same thing as everyone who has replied on my thread please move on.

If I can pinpoint which WMU I would hunt, don't you think I could search more on where to shoot.

fish_e_o
01-28-2015, 11:26 AM
just answer his question.

i came off as a jerk . let me rephrase...

we should just quickly answer and move on if we suspect a troll. that way we can be helpful and not provoke.

shotgunjoe22
01-28-2015, 06:16 PM
my apologies if it is sounding like I'm trolling. i had to ask my wife what that even was and I'm defiantly not trying to start any arguments. I'm just very new to all this. one of the biggest problems I'm having is getting to know what to do. and i don't want this to sound like I'm starting an argument but what is a recreational website? i googled it and there was probably 50 different options, as with hunting I'm pretty incompetent in the world of computers. is there a specific one i need to go to? and someone mentioned for me to check your maps and contact the lease holder if there is one. i don't have any maps as of yet but thats why i originally started this thread was because i need info on what kind of info i need or where to get it. like how to know if lease roads or cut lines are ok. where can i find these maps you speak of ? i am honestly just very ignorant to everything about maps and leases and pretty much all aspects and just trying to get some information about where i can hunt or shoot. in my first post in this thread i mentioned about how i am kinda shy about just going with any ole crown land because i was going to do that with the bruderhiem red water areas and then i was sent to a link that said i can't. to be honest I'm thinking about joining a range just based on the post about all the wasted gas but still curious about how to know if I'm in a good spot that i can hunt or not because i don't want to spend my summer scouting a large area of land only to find out that i can't hunt there. Any more info would be greatly appreciated, thanks to everyone for baring with me and my lack of knowledge.

purgatory.sv
01-28-2015, 08:09 PM
my apologies if it is sounding like I'm trolling. i had to ask my wife what that even was and I'm defiantly not trying to start any arguments. I'm just very new to all this. one of the biggest problems I'm having is getting to know what to do. and i don't want this to sound like I'm starting an argument but what is a recreational website? i googled it and there was probably 50 different options, as with hunting I'm pretty incompetent in the world of computers. is there a specific one i need to go to? and someone mentioned for me to check your maps and contact the lease holder if there is one. i don't have any maps as of yet but thats why i originally started this thread was because i need info on what kind of info i need or where to get it. like how to know if lease roads or cut lines are ok. where can i find these maps you speak of ? i am honestly just very ignorant to everything about maps and leases and pretty much all aspects and just trying to get some information about where i can hunt or shoot. in my first post in this thread i mentioned about how i am kinda shy about just going with any ole crown land because i was going to do that with the bruderhiem red water areas and then i was sent to a link that said i can't. to be honest I'm thinking about joining a range just based on the post about all the wasted gas but still curious about how to know if I'm in a good spot that i can hunt or not because i don't want to spend my summer scouting a large area of land only to find out that i can't hunt there. Any more info would be greatly appreciated, thanks to everyone for baring with me and my lack of knowledge.

I apologize for my public post.

shotgunjoe22
02-01-2015, 11:53 AM
ok well thanks for the bit of info i got. ill see if i can locate these maps, although I'm not sure if I'm looking for topographical maps, county maps, municipal district maps, wmu maps, road maps, or some other kind of map altogether.
and I've tried about 10 of the recreational websites still not sure what I'm looking for on them or if I'm even on the right ones.

thanks again for the info I've atleast got a place to start. im hoping i don't do anything wrong but it would appear ill have to learn the hard way.

my apologies again if i offended anyone or if it appeared as though i was trolling
( i guess i did learn something on this forum lol) and good luck to everyone in 2015.

Pipque
02-01-2015, 12:44 PM
A great place to find a shooting spot is by speaking to family, friends or co-workers. Someone in your circle will have an "Uncle Bob" or "buddy Joe" that has a 1/4 or a 1/2 section with an established area where the friends and family go to shoot.
Keep in mind that it needs to be safe with a good earthen backstop and nothing down range that may be put in danger.
Make sure you say thank you a lot to who ever brings you out as well as the owner. Clean up any brass you bring.

I'm sure there are all kinds of places you may find on your own but having the "I wonder if I'm legal to shoot here" feeling sure throws off a guys aim.

Don't re-invent the wheel ask around.

shotgunjoe22
02-02-2015, 12:35 PM
thanks Pique.

i don't want this to sound like I'm trolling or starting an argument but if you read some of my earlier posts on the thread you will notice i mentioned that i have a few friends who shoot but where they took me last year is about a 3 hour drive. as i have a pregnant wife now that is kind a bit far for me now and would like some where thats about an hour drive or so. ( which is in 337 and 338 ) they are unwilling to relocate which is absolutely fine, but due to that fact, getting any info from them is like getting water from a stone. so a spot to go that friends or family know of or have land on is not an option, I'm all on my own here. also people keep telling me that any ole crown land is ok, i took that advice last year and almost ended up in an area of crown land that had rules strictly prohibiting the discharge of firearms ( red water and bruderhiem crown land areas) so I'm a little shy now on where to shoot as i defiantly do not want to be in an area that i am not allowed to be. I'm trying to find out where to get any maps i need, what kind of websites have info, or what phone numbers to call, I am completely new to all of this, so specifics would be greatly appreciated. what kind of maps do i need and where do i get them, the names of websites to visit, the phone numbers of any one with info like f&w how do i know if I'm on leased land, is there a map for that or a specific sign too look for, can i use cutlines and oil lease roads. i want to hunt 337 and 338 if that helps at all.

also when i say i am completely new to this i mean hunting not shooting,
i am very familiar with the "know you target and beyond" rule its not only in the PAL course and constantly mentioned in the hunters ed course its also in the hand book of every new firearm you purchase. again i don't want to sound rude i just don't need schooling on the safe handling and discharge of firearms. i need to know where i can hunt.

RedLabel
02-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Highly recommend you refer to Post 11 from Stonecutter.

I've read the posts in this thread, so no need to reiterate, but this is by far your strongest advice, as I've shared the exact same experience around Calgary.

You have also recognized you're fairly new to the game, which there is nothing wrong with, so some range time would be invaluable not only to your shooting knowledge, but also hunting and local area knowledge. (never stop learning)

Try downloading the ihunter AB app if you're looking for a little more confidence knowing exactly what WMU your in, specific regs, protected areas, but be aware this is for assistance, not a BIBLE.

I hope this helps, but it sounds like your REAL question should be:

Hi guys, can someone PM me the geo coordinates of a safe, FREE, area on Crownland where I can target shoot? The location of your honey-hole is appreciated! :sHa_shakeshout::scared0018: