PDA

View Full Version : FYI Ice Chisel

dodger
12-18-2008, 07:47 PM
I just picked up the Jiffy Ice Chisel from Canadian Tire at 50% off. Regular $49.99 bought mine for $24.99.
Dodger.

Alberta Bigbore
12-19-2008, 08:25 AM
WHAT SIZE !!!!!!

You mean an Ice Spud right????? Thx, i wonder if they all have them.

Reeves1
12-19-2008, 09:25 AM
dodger.....post a good picture.....been meaning to make some and have only (so far) seen one design.

please :D

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Not only for chiseling out old holes , wicked for throwing at trucks doing 80 kmh across the ice , surprising how well it slows them down.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::evilgrin::evilgrin: :evilgrin:

zepf
12-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah I have owned one for many years.The one I have is 2 piece and is called the Jiffy Mille Lacs chisel.I use it for trapping beaver under the ice.I have made and bought chisels over the years...this one cuts well..Zepf

Appletree
12-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Humph, neither Crappy Tire in the south end of Edmonton has them.

Walleyes
12-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Not only for chiseling out old holes , wicked for throwing at trucks doing 80 kmh across the ice , surprising how well it slows them down.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::evilgrin::evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Not exactly sure what you mean by that John ,,, is there something wrong with traveling at 80kmh on ice now.. I mean doing it in between ice shacks or fisherman yah but out on the ice away from people whats wrong with it..

I sure have noticed a big differance from the northern folk compared to southern folk when it comes to knowladge and experience when traveling on ice. Up north traveling on ice is just part of life. We have many government mantained ice roads in northern A.B so we don't think much about it. Down south I see people crawling around like they are on crystal when they are on 2 feet of ice kind of makes me chuckle.. I know last winter was my first winter ice fishing down south and I was amased at how scared people are.. Just experience I geuss..

But back to my point,, John lets watch what we complain about cause the last thing we need is another law or rule in this province when it comes to hunting or fishing. I can just see it now posted in our fishing regs a speed limit when ice fishing lololol..

Reeves1
12-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Ice roads that are made on tundra/peat moss etc are a lot stronger than plain ice.
I had alway thought the speed on ice was 10mp/h.
The reason for this is to prevent an under ice wave from forming and (possibly) opening and eating the vehicle.

Alberta Bigbore
12-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Not exactly sure what you mean by that John ,,, is there something wrong with traveling at 80kmh on ice now.. I mean doing it in between ice shacks or fisherman yah but out on the ice away from people whats wrong with it..

hey.... please..... come to gull and show me traveling 80 km/h + . Last time i seen that the whole one side of the dudes car was swallowed by the lake:lol: Fill your boots!!

Ice roads up NORTH are conditioned to be made for traveling on. And even then... they have speed limits for safety of not cracking the ice in front of you and falling through when you decide to stop

Walleyes
12-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Ice roads that are made on tundra/peat moss etc are a lot stronger than plain ice.
I had alway thought the speed on ice was 10mp/h.
The reason for this is to prevent an under ice wave from forming and (possibly) opening and eating the vehicle.

We have 2 government maintained ice roads on Lac La Biche Lake no tundra there in the middle of the lake. And I have driven hundreds ,, yes hundreds of miles on many a northern lake at what ever speed I felt like and have never had a problem.

As far as not traveling fast cause you don't want to make a wave.. Not much chance of that being an issue on 2 feet of ice,, not with a passenger vehicle anyways... Heck I've walked a D7G Cat across on 24" of ice never mind a pickup.

But like I said its experience I geuss.

dodger
12-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey Alberta Bigbore, it's the 48" Jiffy Mille Lacs Chisel as zeph mentions. I am still a picture virgin :ashamed: so posting it may be a few years in the making. Just go to Jiffy or Cabelas and you will see it. NOTE this is not the shorter one of the two models. Hopefully I can drill four holes in a square and chisel out the middle then launch the boat for some real fishing.

Dodger.

Reeves1
12-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Hopefully I can drill four holes in a square and chisel out the middle then launch the boat for some real fishing.

:lol:

huntinggr81
12-20-2008, 11:11 AM
We have 2 government maintained ice roads on Lac La Biche Lake no tundra there in the middle of the lake. And I have driven hundreds ,, yes hundreds of miles on many a northern lake at what ever speed I felt like and have never had a problem.

As far as not traveling fast cause you don't want to make a wave.. Not much chance of that being an issue on 2 feet of ice,, not with a passenger vehicle anyways... Heck I've walked a D7G Cat across on 24" of ice never mind a pickup.

But like I said its experience I geuss.

I agree Walleyes. I've spent alot of time on the ice on various different lakes over the years, and have no problem with travelling at speeds of 80 km/hr+ on ice that is 24 inches thick or more. I would like to see the day you create a pressure wave on 24 inch or thicker ice with a pickup....LMAO! Guess it's like you say experience is everything.

Winch101
12-20-2008, 02:39 PM
I bought the last one at 130 Ave CT but Shaugnessy have one

and I wouldnt doubt that the macLeod CT the best fishin and hunting store in Calgary Might have a few ....

Alberta Bigbore
12-21-2008, 01:11 AM
well. Saturday night............. i stopped by the Canadian Tire in the west end just east of 178st.... and they had 6 left at $24.99. I went through them all and bought the best one of the bunch.

the fishin'hole sells them for $49.99 so i say i got a wicked deal. This will get alot of use...as i come across an are i want to fish and there is a crap load of holes already drilled from the afternoon before... and only have a couple inches if that of new ice in the hole by the next morning. :D:D:D

Reeves1
12-21-2008, 09:31 AM
You should have bought me one too, ya know !
After all, tiss the season !

:D

Alberta Bigbore
12-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Tiss... the season to pick out myself the best one of the bunch and leave the scraps for everyone else. :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Didnt even use it today... but even sitting in the sled it was well worth the $25

mudbug
12-02-2010, 08:25 PM
So who all has tried these chisel's I want to get one so does anyone know if Canadian Tire still carry's them or should I just got to WS?

hockey1099
12-02-2010, 10:38 PM

A tow truck driver did that to one of my clients. Didnt work out to well for the tow truck driver my client is a tougher guy. Charges got dropped against him too when the crown read that the tow truck driver tossed a wrench at him while he was doing 80 on the highway.

You wont be tossing one at me cause im very inexperienced on the ice and drive slowly with my windows down incase i need to bail.

pikester
12-02-2010, 11:20 PM
I agree Walleyes. I've spent alot of time on the ice on various different lakes over the years, and have no problem with travelling at speeds of 80 km/hr+ on ice that is 24 inches thick or more. I would like to see the day you create a pressure wave on 24 inch or thicker ice with a pickup....LMAO! Guess it's like you say experience is everything.

I don't know much about pressure waves but it seems to me that is NOT the point. If someone is racing across the ice at 80 kph or more & passes close enough to someone to get hit by a heavy chisel then that guy deserves to get it right through the effen windshield! Like many people here, I take my kids ice fishing now & then & don't try to tell me that if someone ran out of a shack in front of you, you or anyone else could stop a 4500lb truck @ that kind of speed in time to avoid hitting somebody or something. Nevermind not hitting the brakes, just losing control nearby a shack or other vehicles could be disasterous. At that speed you could slide 300 feet or more with very little control over where you end up. Unnecassary & reckless behavior unless it's in the middle of the lake away from everyone. I'd throw something too & yes I can DAMN well back it up if I have to!

P.S. Apologies to Dodger for continuing to de-rail this thread but I nearly blew my top when I read some of the replies to certain comments. I will definitely be looking for one of those chisels thanks!

mudbug
12-02-2010, 11:33 PM
I just pulled this thread back up, it's from 2 years ago :)