PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Smoker Mod ideas

fishead
01-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Just wondering if any fellow smoker folks might have some ideas on how to make this smoker better. Currently running two element burners with cast iron pans for heat source. works great for jerkey and cold smoke.
I would like to be able to get the heat higher and maybe add some ventilation so I could cook chicken, brisket etc.
Appreciate any suggestions.

fishead
01-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Another pic.

Pixel Shooter
01-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Use an AMNPS for better longer thicker smoke.......... I put a fan from a convection oven in mine to provide air flow, works like a charm. There is a stick thread on smokers above ;)

fishead
01-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Got it thanks

Pixel Shooter
01-28-2015, 09:57 AM
I have a top vent along with a vent used for chip tray that I leave half out to get airflow to keep AMNPS burning

Kim473
01-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Find an old bbq with a side burner, remove the burner and when you need higher heat replace the electric with propane. I love my propane smoker. Just can't keep the heat low enough when its 5 above outside. Maybe an small turkey fryer burner. Or add a couple charcol bricks when you need the heat higher.

expmler
01-28-2015, 12:25 PM
I built a smoker similar to yours. I put in a small stove top burner in the center bottom that I used for the smoke pan. I also put in an oven element from an electric stove in the bottom. I had an electrician buddy set up a digital PID probe to regulate the temp that ran the oven element. The smoke element was on a simple on\off switch. I used the oven element for heat and the smoke element for smoke at the same time. When the smoking was done I switched it off and used only the oven element for heat. Worked like a charm, could get it as hot as any oven and the PID kept the temp within 1 degree of the setting. I did have to run it on 220 amp power.

Dark
01-28-2015, 12:30 PM
I installed a thermostat from a boiler on mine that is used with 120 volt. I wired it to a double plug and my 2 hot plates plug into the plug controlled by the thermostat. Best mod we have done. set it at what ever temp you want and go to bed. needed 2 hot plates to get the temp up to 225 for making brisket.

curtz
01-28-2015, 06:50 PM
Built mine out of a old blanket warmer from a hospital, I put in one propane burner and that generates more than enough heat, bought the burner at Cabela's

f_train22
02-26-2015, 10:31 PM
I am currently building a smoker out of an old metal fridge. Old propane stove at bottom is the way to go. For cold smoking I'd add an air intake at the bottom and use something like the amaze n smoker.