PDA

View Full Version : instrumentaion diploma after Bsc in chemical engineering?

Walker888
01-28-2015, 02:16 PM
Hi

I am a new immigrant and I have a Bsc in chemical engineering from Africa
and one yaer experience in oil and gas industry. I am studying for appega lisence (EIT) exam now (fe) and I was thinking in doing instrumentation engineering technology at nait because i heard the job market is declining these days because of oil price drops. I have tried to enroll in master degree but my Gpa is not comptitve. What do you think about IET diploma? Is it a suitable choice?

mrks_jnz
01-28-2015, 07:01 PM
if you can gain your 4 years EIT experience and earn your PENG. you'll be laughing all the way to the bank. generally I've seen Sr technologists earn almost as much as Sr engineers. and some of them make a **** ton of cash. but with techs, it's a steep climb to the top, whereas that iron ring is a meal ticket to easy money.

Also in times like these, tech are first to go, as they can't stamp drawings. speaking only in terms of epcm, YMMV in terms of construction companies, or up in Edmonton or site, where techs may be of higher value.

Source: Cost Controller for an EPCM, privy to labour rates.

Mister Muskeg
01-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Welcome....Have spoken with engineers from China and yes, they too have a whole whack (that means ALOT) of education that is not recognized here. I have no idea on how the guidelines are set up.

Am guessing you're looking at Outdoorsman Engineering:)

justsomeguy
01-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Need answers to the following questions before I can offer advice:

Are you willing to write your exams to get your P. Eng in 4 years or are you taking the route of 10 years experience.

What type of engineering are you looking at doing? Working in an EPC house in the city doing design work or working in a producing plant?

Are you looking at instrumentation technologist doing design work in an EPC or working in a plant as a hands on instrument technician rebuilding valves, programming controllers etc?

Do you have the ability to support yourself while going to school for the next few years?

Right now the job market in AB is dead, EPC firms are laying off and producers have hiring freezes on at best. It is a good time to go back to school if you can.

What do you want to do for a career, stay technical or get into management / leadership work in the future?

justsomeguy
01-29-2015, 07:36 PM
Hmmm....wonder if it's time to stop being a pulp and paper refugee in AB and return to the homeland after a decade :)

Walker888
01-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone for replying.

I am planning to work as a chemical engineer. I prefer working in plant and maybe doing process troubleshooting or process safety management stuff.i am not interested in management positions. So i was thinking a diploma in instrumentation engineering would enhance my technical skills and maybe open more doors especially i don't have a Canadian degree or engineering work experience . I also heard instrumentaion engineer could be a chemical enginer who have a sound knowledge in instrumentation.
For p.eng stuff i am planning to take the exam as soon i get the required experience. And for the financial matters now i have almost a minimum wage job so studing and taking student loans woud not make a big difference

justsomeguy
01-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Given the job market right now I'd get myself some educational upgrades while you can. Your best bet is to focus on your technical exams and take some instrumentation stuff on the side if you want to end up being a chemical engineer.

While you're at it start sending out resumes to production companies and checking out websites. As a 20 year chemical engineer I'll tell you this, get at least 5 years of experience in the plants before you get an office job. I did 15 years and it has put me light years ahead of the guys who have spent their entire career doing design work.

Immigrant
01-30-2015, 10:55 PM
walker888. I have 2 masters degrees from the old country. The apprentice board did not even recognize my grade 12!!! Told me I had to do the GED before applying. Before you get your hopes up, make sure your previous qualifications get recognized for the course you want to enrol.
Also, from my experience, companies skip your resume if you have too many qualifications with no experience.
I do not mean to be a cloud on your sunny day,PM me if you want to hear more