PDA

View Full Version : Tips on interac at fast food or take out places ?!?

EZM
01-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Ok .... so I understand that when you get takeout from a regular restaurant there is a tip "option" when picking up your meal. I usually give them a tip, albeit, less than what I might give to a server who has waited on me during a sit down meal.

Recently I have been noticing a trend at places like Quizno`s, Subway, etc... where there is NO OPTION except to;

- choose tip %

or

- tip $

There is no way to just say no to a tip.

I`m not a cheap guy, by any stretch of the imagination, but I also don`t like to be `told`` I must give a tip in a fast food type place either.

I could swear it used to ask if you wanted to give a tip ...... now it seems you must choose one of the options. I wonder what would happen if I entered 0% or $0.

What is up with that ...... it`s anoying to me. It just seems wrong.

airbornedeerhunter
01-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Just hit $ then 0.00. I would never give a tip for takeout, tips are for service- not handing you what you are paying for.

diesel44
01-28-2015, 04:18 PM
I do not tip at fast food places that have the option on their Interac machines. All I do is pick the "tip$" and enter 0. Maybe if I had an unusual request for my meal, I might add something extra.

The other thing I dislike is being told by the interact machine that there is a fee of $0.## for using Interac. They should have a big sign telling you of the fee.

bulletman
01-28-2015, 04:18 PM
This just happened to me @ Sammy's in Vermilion! Why should I be obligated to tip at a self-service restaurant? Irritating!

Talking moose
01-28-2015, 04:20 PM
You don't have to tip. Just hit the green ok/enter button when it asks for tip.

sewerrat
01-28-2015, 04:24 PM
never tip in a fast food joint, They should be happy already that I came in and bought from them and not the joint next door.

jungleboy
01-28-2015, 04:52 PM
I don't understand why the Mod's do not insert a tip option on the buy sell forum . It would be nice if people had the option of giving me a tip when I am selling something on there.:)

Quinn
01-28-2015, 07:02 PM
I hate being forced into feeling guilty about not giving a trip.

That being said I paid 7$ for a coffee today (because the ladies working there are always very nice, which is rare), but still the coffee turned out to be 7$!

What worried me the most is I seen where the coffee comes and I know a chunk of that 7$ isn't landing in the farmers hands.

Sad really. That alone makes me feel guilty.

I attempted to start a purchase direct from the coffee plantation who gets coffee from the plantation and local farmers and they said they couldn't. They also wouldn't say where their beans went.

I have since noticed blends of beans from Guatemala, certain areas of Mexico, and other areas of Central America. I traveled these mountain tops in remote locations and it's shocking how poor these people are. Coffee pays the company owners and middle man. It's a damn slave labour industry. Fair trade my ass.

I will be going back and attempting to buy direct from farmer so my 5-7$ a coffee helps a family.

/rant

Hydro1
01-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Yes more and more places are doing it.
Ridiculous imo, pizza delivery sure i will give you 5 bucks.
Takeout never.

zero
01-28-2015, 08:39 PM
depends on the place, Basha Donair in leduc ill tip, great food made infront of you, good service and quick. if im picking up pizza or takeout no.

BlackHeart
01-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Even the A&Ws and lots of mall food court places are doing this....after bringing in TFW that they pay minimum wage. Gotta wonder if any of it even gets to the workers.

After the fully impact of NEP in the 80's, fresh out of high school, I managed to get a min wage job as a busboy at a large hotel chain. They charged a tip % on all the weddings, banquets, events. This was supposed to be shared between the serving /service staff (all min wage) .....but not before a 40% admin service charge. Don't like it, find yourself a new job!!!

What's the likelihood that fastfood management would bring in and reprogram their pin pads, to almost demand a tip before continuing to pay, and do all that financial work, to turn around and give it to staff, that are so dependent on the min wage job in order to stay here, that they wouldn't say beep for fear of being sent home?????

Simple solution is to enter $ and then .01 This will give them something to process, clog up their system, give them problems in the finance area, and generally screw with their heads.

Adwittoutdoors
01-28-2015, 10:32 PM
That's also what I do. You want a tip for what again.....ok I press $ 0.01

canadiantdi
01-28-2015, 10:35 PM
I used to feel bad when picking up from a restaurant so I would give a couple bucks tip.. Glad to say that I am now over that. I tip for pizza delivery even though there is a delivery charge.

Crankbait
01-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Simple solution is to enter $ and then .01 This will give them something to process, clog up their system, give them problems in the finance area, and generally screw with their heads.

Jello Biafra of the band the Dead Kennedy's recommends this type of rebellion too. another one and off topic is to send companies who bombard you with junk mail with a postage paid envelope, is to send a box of bricks to them with the postage paid slip attached. a friend always pays 5 cents more on all his bills because companies hate owing credit.

Norman
01-28-2015, 10:39 PM
maybe these fast food places are taking the tips to put a third window in at the drive through, pay at the first one, pickup at the second one and then pick up everything they forgot at the third one :)

Austin
01-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't the technology of the card processor used not the restaurant persay to have the $ or % as options? I don't think the restaurant can request this be removed unless they order a higher priced merchant processing option...

FallAirFever
01-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Most of the time I am paying for a sub or what ever I just hit $ and 0. The odd time if the service is very friendly or a place I go regularly and the person behind the counter recognizes me and chats I might leave a small tip. When I pick up at a place like BP I will usually leave a small tip. A lot of restaurants require the staff that rings in food to tip out the support staff ie: cooks, hostesses...

Okotokian
01-28-2015, 11:41 PM
I wonder what would happen if I entered 0% or $0.

There you go

BobLoblaw
01-29-2015, 01:15 AM
maybe these fast food places are taking the tips to put a third window in at the drive through, pay at the first one, pickup at the second one and then pick up everything they forgot at the third one :)

:happy0034:

threeforthree
01-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Even where I get a Oil change they ask for a top now. Seems abit over the top..

silverdoctor
01-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Tips by guilt, can't help but laugh. It puts people on a guilt trip and I wonder how many people give the tip. It's all about the almighty dollar.

I don't tip at fast food places, rarely eat out either as customer service seems to be dead. When there is good service, I have no issue giving a good tip - but it's a cash tip given direct to the server. What he/she does with it, don't care.

blgoodbrand1
01-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Tips by guilt, can't help but laugh. It puts people on a guilt trip and I wonder how many people give the tip. It's all about the almighty dollar.

I don't tip at fast food places, rarely eat out either as customer service seems to be dead. When there is good service, I have no issue giving a good tip - but it's a cash tip given direct to the server. What he/she does with it, don't care.

I agree with not tipping fast food /takeout. On the sitdown side, I didn't realize how it actually worked until recently. Often the server is required to tip out a percentage, 5% being common. It is all electronically calculated and is not based on tips collected but rather total sales. If a server brings in less than 5%, it costs them out of pocket to make up the difference. Just found that to be interesting.