PDA

View Full Version : Pop, Coke, smaller cans

Kim473
01-29-2015, 05:24 AM
I heard on the news that Coke in Canada will have one less tea spoon of sugar in the future as well as a smaller can. This really makes me mad as we will get less and the price will stay the same or increase on yet another product. Pretty soon, before you know it, they will be charging us for air ! OH wait a minute, they are !
Less product, same price.
When this goes around for the next year, all involved with postong the cost of goods or inflation, will say. Inflation was only 1% and wages should only increase by 1% But realisticaly we will be getting 5% to10% less product for the same price. Gotta love this metric system, lets Manufactures decrease qty of product without much noticability to consumers. 355ml down to 320ml etc....

I'm surprized that the oil companies haven't done this at the pumps yet, $1.00 /L changed to $1.00 /0.95 L or something like that.

flyguyd
01-29-2015, 05:42 AM
:)Maybe they are trying to help prevent you from becoming a diabetic . You dont need that extra teaspoon of sugar anyhow:thinking-006:

drhu22
01-29-2015, 05:44 AM
I heard on the news that Coke in Canada will have one less tea spoon of sugar in the future as well as a smaller can. This really makes me mad as we will get less and the price will stay the same or increase on yet another product. Pretty soon, before you know it, they will be charging us for air ! OH wait a minute, they are !
Less product, same price.
When this goes around for the next year, all involved with postong the cost of goods or inflation, will say. Inflation was only 1% and wages should only increase by 1% But realisticaly we will be getting 5% to10% less product for the same price. Gotta love this metric system, lets Manufactures decrease qty of product without much noticability to consumers. 355ml down to 320ml etc...
I'm surprized that the oil companies haven't done this at the pumps yet, $1.00 /L changed to $1.00 /0.95 L or something like that.

Its a war of attrition. They know that sooner or later well grow to accept their ever constant war on the dollar. Maximizing profit at the expense of value.

connexion123
01-29-2015, 06:01 AM
Yep. And high fructose corn syrup will kill your body so quickly you don't need it anyway

expmler
01-29-2015, 07:07 AM
Try find a pound of bacon any more. 375 grams now.

JB_AOL
01-29-2015, 07:11 AM
Just cut that crap out from your diet. Probably the best thing you can do for your diet & wallet.

Dynamic
01-29-2015, 07:12 AM
I can't remember where I watched it but basically some company did a survey and consumers would rather pay the same for a smaller package than more for the same package.

silverdoctor
01-29-2015, 07:13 AM
This must be the article you're talking about.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/coke-cuts-sweetness-in-canada-to-save-calories-1.2933698

If they started sticking the percentage of daily need on the can, maybe people would wake up - but they don't need to. When people start seeing 200%, 400%, or 1000% (cause they ate a bag of cookies) or more on a package... Big sugar has made sure that they don't need to produce the percentage, would scare the crap out of people.

There are 4 grams of sugar in one teaspoon, the average 355 ml can of pop has 10 teaspoons of sugar in it. The American heart association recommends 36 grams of sugar per day for men (9 teaspoons) and 24 grams (6 teaspoons) for women. Pretty easy math. One can of coke or pepsi will put you over the limit.

I'm not a fan of this - it's not just the pop, although it's an easy sugar dose - there's so much more out there that's making people obese and causing illness.

recce43
01-29-2015, 07:17 AM
so they make can smaller and charge the same .. LOL its not about the sugar they want to make more money .. Greed Just like gas prices .. You know why people are fat cause we have gotten lazy . Tv computers driving everwhere. kids don't even walk to school anymore ..

Bushrat
01-29-2015, 07:23 AM

They did when they changed from gallons to litres 30 years ago.

Dacotensis
01-29-2015, 09:40 AM
so they make can smaller and charge the same .. LOL its not about the sugar they want to make more money .. Greed Just like gas prices .. You know why people are fat cause we have gotten lazy . Tv computers driving everwhere. kids don't even walk to school anymore ..

Oh kids do walk to school for sure.
Well I know one who does. Walks home too.
But I get the point you're making. It's parents fault 100% for that kid not walking. Can't really blame the child here.
We are not fat. Speak for yourself fella;)
People are overweight for a simple reason. More calories in than are being burned.
It's pretty simple. Too bad classrooms only spend about 40 minutes in grade 5 talking about this most basic concept.

All the packaging is getting smaller. On everything food related.
Less amounts of everything and the same or more money.
There really should be a push to reduce sugar and salt/sodium from our shelved products.

I don't drink pop except for the occasion when it's in a glass mixed with ice and vodka. Very rare.
My body shuts down with that much corn syrup. Blah

HalfBreed
01-29-2015, 09:56 AM
All the packaging is getting smaller. On everything food related.
Less amounts of everything and the same or more money.
There really should be a push to reduce sugar and salt/sodium from our shelved products.

I don't drink pop except for the occasion when it's in a glass mixed with ice and vodka. Very rare.
My body shuts down with that much corn syrup. Blah

Yup, all the good stuff in the grocery is on the outside walls, lately I've tried to consciously stay out of the aisles to ditch the snack grab.

Lildog
01-29-2015, 10:06 AM
From the net
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/rezori-why-your-groceries-are-getting-smaller-but-still-cost-the-same-1.2795669

The packages of Tropicana orange juice down by 7.8 per cent, Häagen-Dazs ice cream by 12.5 per cent, Ivory dish detergent by a whopping 20 per cent.
…Take corn, that all-American staple. According to the Times, the 16-ounce can sold in 2005 had shrunk to 11 ounces by 2011 for the same price. In the meantime, companies are bending over backwards with creative explanations.
…Which brings me to what made me think of the Eloi in the first place — the spicy Italian sausages I bought at the supermarket the other day.

Even as I took them out of the cooler they felt different, more tidily packaged, the five sausages inside more uniform. It didn't register with me until I unwrapped them at home that they were also smaller.

Redfrog
01-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Coke is legal????:thinking-006: Did the liberals get elected while I was sleeping?

It's marketing folks.

The new coca cola will have fewer calories than the old one :sHa_shakeshout:
Much healthier now.

And we have fewer calories cause the new can is smaller oh yeah and we have less sugar, but you'll never hear this part.

whitetail Junkie
01-29-2015, 11:20 AM
I need my vitamin "P" Daily....love the pepsi

BlackHeart
01-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Its bad enough when they cut the bacon Packages down and charge the same, BUT it was much worse when I thought my hand was growing from drinking beer!! ;-)

But it wasn't to be.......bottle felt smaller because it was.....354ml to 330ml.
Now my dozen of beer is closer to 11.

This should be criminal!

And on the same topic, since when is a pint of beer 14oz??? This is in fact breaking the law....calling a 14oz beer a pint.

rosh
01-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Can size isn't changing just 591ml- 500ml. As for sugar, it is done. You will see it in stores with in a cpl days and taste differnt. More of a feel then taste if that makes sense. This is all done due to the consumers complaining about sugar, weight issues, bad for people ect... Only done to make the complainers happy

357xp
01-29-2015, 11:53 AM
I don't think we can complain about the price of pop, 4 bucks for a 12 pack?! Cheaper than water! And something is wrong in our society when that happens.

Ronan_357
01-29-2015, 12:19 PM
This must be the article you're talking about.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/coke-cuts-sweetness-in-canada-to-save-calories-1.2933698

If they started sticking the percentage of daily need on the can, maybe people would wake up - but they don't need to. When people start seeing 200%, 400%, or 1000% (cause they ate a bag of cookies) or more on a package... Big sugar has made sure that they don't need to produce the percentage, would scare the crap out of people.

There are 4 grams of sugar in one teaspoon, the average 355 ml can of pop has 10 teaspoons of sugar in it. The American heart association recommends 36 grams of sugar per day for men (9 teaspoons) and 24 grams (6 teaspoons) for women. Pretty easy math. One can of coke or pepsi will put you over the limit.

I'm not a fan of this - it's not just the pop, although it's an easy sugar dose - there's so much more out there that's making people obese and causing illness.

It's not that they don't need to put a daily requirement of sugar on a label, the U.S. Government says they can't.

KGB
01-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Less sugar is better for you anyway. I cut the sugar off my diet almost completely in a pure version of it, i.e. I don't put any sugar into my tea or coffee. But I have a huge sweet teeth and love sweets. I kill my cravings by having a piece of chocolate with my drink. Just my 0.02....

qwert
01-29-2015, 12:43 PM
it was much worse when I thought my hand was growing from drinking beer!! ;-)

But it wasn't to be.......bottle felt smaller because it was.....354ml to 330ml.
Now my dozen of beer is closer to 11.

I first noticed my Big Rock Trad was smaller around the time of Ed McNally's passing.
I suspect that he died of shame.

rosh
01-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Here is the difference

chasingtail
01-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Stuff is poison, they don't put real sugar in it anyways in North America they use corn syrup. They put a lot of crap in our food here that they don't put in the food in Europe. Were the worlds dumping grounds for crappy food.

Redfrog
01-29-2015, 04:50 PM
Stuff is poison, they don't put real sugar in it anyways in North America they use corn syrup. They put a lot of crap in our food here that they don't put in the food in Europe. Were the worlds dumping grounds for crappy food.

I'd move there just for the food.:thinking-006:

Kim473
01-30-2015, 08:10 AM
http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/coca-cola-reducing-size-sweetness-of-beverages-in-canada-1.2208933

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/us-business/coke-to-change-its-formula-in-canada-scaling-back-sweetness-and-cutting-calories/article22646802/

mooseknuckle
01-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Try find a pound of bacon any more. 375 grams now.

My compliments bacon at Safeway 500grams so more than a pound $4,99

silverdoctor
01-30-2015, 08:18 AM
It's not that they don't need to put a daily requirement of sugar on a label, the U.S. Government says they can't.

They don't NEED to because of the sugar lobby - the WHO has been trying unsuccessfully to get a percentage representation of sugar of all products. No soap, sugar money talks, the government does the dance.