PDA

View Full Version : a story and a question

spoiledsaskhunter
01-29-2015, 10:20 AM
firstly...........I am not affiliated with tikka nor leupold, nor do I sell anything.

The Story:

yesterday I was out hunting 'yotes and the first one in died an unnatural death @ 200 yds...right through the gizzard. nothing too interesting in that; it's the way things should go.

fast fwd a few miles to a dog lying all curled up on a hill I couldn't sneak. he wasn't interested in any sound I could make.......laid there looking my way. even got up and stretched, yawned, and laid back down. I ranged him @ 572 yds, wound up my scope, held right on him and wacked him. he was still moving so I missed him an inch high with my second shot, then made him still with my third.

I shot one earlier this winter @ 626 yds, but had to do some Kentucky:sHa_shakeshout: windage on him, 'cause there was a little breeze, so chocked it up to a lucky shot.

I'm shooting a tikka t3 s/syn in 22.250. it has a loopy 6.5X20 VX111 with target turrets. the repeatability and accuracy of this thing, in my mind, is nothing short of amazing. it's bone stock, right out of the box, and all I've ever done is tinker with loads to find one it likes (36 gr imr 4895....52 gr a-max....cci primers). I've hunted for 50 yrs and can honestly say, I don't think I've ever owned another rifle that would shoot like this, though in fairness, I've never put a scope like this one on another rifle either.

The Question:

Is this accuracy/repeatability a normal thing? Do you long range shooters find other makes/models that are just as good? didn't say in my story that the first dog was shot @ 10X and the second was shot @ 20x, which adds another degree of variability.

I've got a friend in sask who has a custom gun that cost him several thousands of dollars.......it shoots like a machine, but after all, it's not an 'out of the box gun', either

yoteblaster
01-29-2015, 12:43 PM
I am shooting the same rifle, absolutely deadly accurate. Love it!

spoiledsaskhunter
01-29-2015, 08:15 PM
guess tikka is the only gun that shoots like mine? (and yoteblaster's)

alacringa
01-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Sounds like a good combo!

But 'yotes don't have gizzards.

spoiledsaskhunter
01-29-2015, 08:26 PM
well actually they do......it's attached to the heart, so every once in a while I miss a little just so I can find it when I check. I keep thinking maybe evolution will take care of it, 'cause yotes don't have feathers nor eat gravel, but nosiree, there it is.

you need to do a yote autopsy just to see it's really there!:sHa_shakeshout:

waterninja
01-29-2015, 09:21 PM
I just googled to see if coyotes have gizzards. No answer found. Think I'll call my vet. tomorrow.

thumper
01-29-2015, 09:27 PM
I call BS. Death via a shot through the gizzard is perfectly natural.

spoiledsaskhunter
01-29-2015, 09:36 PM
guess I shouldn't have muddied the water by telling you guys yotes have gizzards.:budo:

I could tell you some other things you might not believe too, but will not, in order to avoid stressing you out.........life is too stressful w/o me trying to give lessons on yote anatomy!

waterninja
01-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Let me add to your stress level. Don't know what youv'e been shooting on your yotes, but it certainly isn't a gizzard.
Just talked to my vet. and she informed me that coyotes (or dogs) DO NOT have gizzards.
Yeh, I know, too much time on my hands, but I was curious.

calgarychef
01-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Gizzards....lmao! That went sideways fast ;)

Stinky Buffalo
01-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Gizzard or no gizzard, at least I have a better idee of what my next coyote rig might be! :D

twofifty
01-30-2015, 11:47 AM

Coyotes have chopped livers...so they must have gizzards. ;)

Selkirk
01-30-2015, 12:16 PM

Hey, you ... don't laugh! :mad0030:

I shot a coyote in the giblets once. He just dropped dead, right then and there!

Mac :D

spoiledsaskhunter
01-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Hey, you ... don't laugh! :mad0030:

I shot a coyote in the giblets once. He just dropped dead, right then and there!

Mac :D

good thing u don't have a question to ask, as it would never get answered after you have the nerve to mention 'giblets' in a 'yote discussion!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Redfrog
01-30-2015, 06:53 PM
OMG!!! everything has a gizzard. Even lizards have gizzards. And that vet is a woman.....nuff said. She likely thinks men have no brains.

To the OP, Sounds like you got a shooter there. But I'm not sure about repeatability. It has after all taken 50 years of hunting to kill these two coyotes.:thinking-006: I hope you kill two more in the next fifty.

There is definitely something satisfying about tipping the buggers over at 500+ yards. Especially the ones who sit and won't come any closer. They sit and sit and talk trash. The 22.250 will give them an attitude adjustment for sure.

good shooting.!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

spoiledsaskhunter
01-30-2015, 07:58 PM
hey redfrog, I'm just getting warmed up.

two doesn't sound like much but if everything goes as planned, those danged 'yotes will be on the endangered list in southern ab before long........just wait 'til I make a post about shooting one thru the feathers. that vet's phone will be jumping off the hook.

Redfrog
01-30-2015, 08:12 PM
I may give her a call. My dad used to say we needed a "kick in the slats". I wonder what that means?:thinking-006: