PDA

View Full Version : Lee Loaders

kellyandbeth
04-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here has used "The Original Lee Loaders" Handheld loading units. The way I read it is you could reload with just that little package that you get for $25. But some input would be good of anyone has used one.

prairieboy
04-01-2007, 12:45 PM
They are extremely slow and since they rely on a powder dipper,they greatly limit your load selection.

rusty51
04-01-2007, 03:40 PM
They work very well if you puchase a powder scale,then you can weigh your charges and don't have to mess with the dipper.I use them for 3006,303.7x57and 6.5x55.They are slower to use, but if you have the time who care's.

kellyandbeth
04-01-2007, 08:55 PM
If I want to resize my cartridges i'm SOL aren't I?

buckshoot
04-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Not sure how many calibers you plan to load but, the Lee challenger press usually comes for about $100 with your first set of dies, and then RGB dies are $15 per caliber. The RGB dies neck size only.

Scott N
04-02-2007, 05:58 PM
I started off with a Lee Loader years and years ago, but quickly replaced it with a press and reloading equipment. I would recommend going with a press, scale, etc. because chances are you will quickly outgrow the Lee Loader.

jrs
04-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Good idea if your starting out, check out ebay. I bought all my reloading stuff last fall (i'm still just starting out). A friend of mine has an account set up (i'm not that confident on buying stuff online without seeing it first) but he got me a RCBS press for under $40 shipping included. I bought one set of dies for my 270WSM for $35 or so and i got a set in 30-06 out of the wholesale sports clearance bin Friday ($20, slightly used, exchanged with a trade in). Worth a look. I have still invested about $200 buying new scale, primer turners, case lube, brass, bullets, powder, primers, etc etc which doesn't seem too bad when shells for my rifle are $25-$50 a box. Worth a look.

razadp
04-02-2007, 08:27 PM
I've used it for my .308 reloading. Its a lot of work getting a resize done completely, takes a lot of banging with a mallet.
Lever actions don't have a lot of camming power to put in a tight case. I'd much rather use a press for resizing.

Would probably work better for a bolt action, where neck-sizing is more suitable.

The other steps, depriming, repriming, bullet seating, were all fine and easy.

kellyandbeth
04-02-2007, 08:41 PM
So inother works, A Lee Loader would be good to have kicking around camp and use a press and stuff for your reloading.