PDA

View Full Version : Do you READ AO???

Okotokian
01-30-2015, 12:06 AM
I'm struck by the number of times there has been a very good, fact-based article in Alberta Outdoorsmen magazine that is relevant to a thread at hand, and yet no one mentions the article. It's as if 95% of forum members have ever read the magazine.

So I'm asking... do you read the magazine regularly?

I do, subscriber for years. I subscribe to many magazines, but if I got to keep only one, it would be AO. You?

twofifty
01-30-2015, 12:10 AM
I don't often see the AO mag but have picked it up several times.
AO is a good read, topical, pertinent.

Like you, I am surprised AO's topics hardly ever come up for discussion.
We should change that up real soon.

Okotokian
01-30-2015, 12:16 AM
Like you, I am surprised AO's topics hardly ever come up for discussion.
We should change that up real soon.

Great idea! I don't expect the poor overworked mods and admins to create new categories, etc. But perhaps people could start threads asking for comment and discussion on particular articles,,, do you agree, disagree, what did you learn from it, etc.

twofifty
01-30-2015, 12:21 AM
Great idea! I don't expect the poor overworked mods and admins to create new categories, etc. But perhaps people could start threads asking for comment and discussion on particular articles,,, do you agree, disagree, what did you learn from it, etc.

Hey, don't blame me it's your idea. ;)

Yeah, the threads will fit well in the current categories, no need for extra admin work. It would also be a good way to help make Canadian outdoor writers better known in Western Canada ... raise their profile .... maybe expand their audience.

HyperMOA
01-30-2015, 12:38 AM
I do, subscriber for years. I subscribe to many magazines, but if I got to keep only one, it would be AO. You?

x2

Red Bullets
01-30-2015, 12:52 AM
I read AO magazine regularly and pay full price. I also like the Western Canadian Game Warden mag.

Rafter1
01-30-2015, 01:04 AM
I pick it up at WSS every month---Great articles informing us about what is going on in our province.

Hydro1
01-30-2015, 01:13 AM
Perhaps some threads started on subject matter in the magazine would also boost subscription numbers?
I will admit I don't have a subscription myself, but when I find a copy I buy it.
:thinking-006:
Screw it, I will buy a subscription tomorrow.

Talking moose
01-30-2015, 01:56 AM
Talking moose buys but not subscribes to anything western Canadian, Yukon, nwt or Alaskan content. Turkey's, bass, and cottontails don't interest him. AO leads the pack in the magazine dept.

harryones
01-30-2015, 02:10 AM
Its the only magazine that I do have a subscription to. Very relevant articles and good writing.
Should make having a subscription a prerequisite to membership on the forum. It would either boost subscription numbers or drastically reduce forum numbers. :)

sjd
01-30-2015, 03:18 AM
It's a great magazine and I'm also a subscriber. Thought provoking and I learn a lot about the outdoors from it.

It's a free country but in my opinion the board is clogged up with a lot of irrelevant stuff and I've found myself visiting less. I'd love to see way more general topics that had something Generally to do with the outdoors but maybe I misunderstand the etiquette and the purpose of the board.

Scrolling through the first few pages of the General category it's clear that 90% of the posts have nothing to do with the outdoors. I can trash talk about progressive taxation or terrorism or Justin Trudeau at any coffee shop but I come here for the outdoors.The chaff to wheat ratio is getting a bit out if control.

Not sure if A O stands for Angry and Old but I'm not sure what anyone's politics have to do with a love of the outdoors.

lannie
01-30-2015, 05:38 AM
I buy it off the shelf once a year on average. After reading TJ's elitest drivel on here I have a difficult time parting with cash that has a 1% chance of getting in his pocket.

fish gunner
01-30-2015, 06:58 AM
Second year of subscription and bought the magazine frequently, Prior to that. Conservationist or rresponsible user topics get bashed or turn into poo flinging. Ime. Science based topics lol theres a scrap and a half. Such things as griz numbers are lies:scared0018: with no support out side of ive seen four in a week . Wild horses wercking the west country again with no evidence .
I typically read cover to cover more than once. I enjoy almost every article and the photography is outstanding.

wolf308
01-30-2015, 06:58 AM
No not really ..... Think I've only bought it once ..... Because it had my picture in it ..... Lol ...... Kinda neat , vanity I guess. ( never been in a magazine b4)But it's a cool picture and I had a lot of fun that day.

Dewey Cox
01-30-2015, 07:23 AM
No not really ..... Think I've only bought it once ..... Because it had my picture in it ..... Lol ...... Kinda neat , vanity I guess. ( never been in a magazine b4)But it's a cool picture and I had a lot of fun that day.

Was it a centerfold?

dumoulin
01-30-2015, 07:26 AM
I used to have a subscription an read it religiously. Lots of good articles without the occasional drama of the forum. I especially like the letters to the editor section.

Sooner
01-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Subscriber for years, waiting for the Feb issue.

drake
01-30-2015, 08:59 AM
only subscribers should be allowed to post in the Hunting/Trapping/Fishing forums....leave the circus (General Forum) for the non subscribers

fish_e_o
01-30-2015, 09:20 AM
i forgot to renew my subscription this year. i had the digital subscription and they ended that. i did really enjoy getting the paper copy half way through though

Stinky Buffalo
01-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Always enjoy reading it. Didn't renew this year, but typically pick it up at the CT or WSS till.

They usually tend to get passed around when I'm done reading them. ;)

Mackinaw
01-30-2015, 09:41 AM
I use to subscribe to it years before I ever joined the forum, not anymore it changed to much on trappings any articles on fishing are very weak can read better on the forum where people are posting about what they truly care about.

Mack

Kanonfodder
01-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Had it for years on subscription also had a subscription go overseas to the troops there when Jamie? Came up with that idea. Before I would buy all the back issues at the Sportsman Show and take them up to the lake

bagwan
01-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Subscriber here as well, Also contributed to the troops which was in part subsidized by Rob.

EZM
01-30-2015, 10:07 AM
I read it often, and as mentioned above, it's far more relevant to us out here in Western Canada instead reading about yet another bass flipping article .....

Good Magazine .....

As far as those contributors on the forum who are annoyed by the general discussion topics ..... I got an idea ..... don't go on the general discussion ...er ...wait ....isn't this on the general discussion ????? ......how ironic.

:)

I enjoy most of the categories on here and even read stuff on the trapping forum sometimes ..... just for kicks.

Morbius131
01-30-2015, 10:23 AM
I read it every month on subscription! Definitely look forward to getting a new one every time the end of the month nears!

Morb

pottymouth
01-30-2015, 10:33 AM
I've honestly never opened or seen the magazine. Magazines and wild tv, just dont interest me.

rugatika
01-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Usually pick one up whenever I go through wholesalesports.

score
01-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Have had the subscription for several years. It's cheap enough and I read what interests me, usually on the throne. I like it well enough.

Xiph0id
01-30-2015, 10:57 AM
I had the subscription for a year.

I let it lapse and now buy the occasional one at the store.

The Jan-Apr editions kind of bore me.

I really like the May-Dec one though.

Also wish they had a bit more in them.

HalfBreed
01-30-2015, 11:01 AM
but now I have discovered it magically appears on the coffee table along with the new Home and Garden and Chatelaine. :bad_boys_20:

albertadeer
01-30-2015, 11:49 AM
I read it... But it's PAINFULLY obvious that most the writers just copy or use info and issues that arise on here first. In fact I find it almost pathetic the amount of bias info and reoccurring facts that I read....

With that behind me I enjoy the magazine and read it monthly....

But STOP getting your stories from AO... Sure they are hot topics but there are dozens of issues or topics that could be covered.

HyperMOA
01-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Not sure if A O stands for Angry and Old but I'm not sure what anyone's politics have to do with a love of the outdoors.

I was in support of your post until this sentence. The outdoors is effected the most by 1 thing, and that is politics.

Mr Conservation
01-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Kids bought me a subscription a couple of years ago, after they got tired of me asking them to pick up a copy and mail it to the island. An an ex Albertan, I really enjoy the articles, especially ones that deal with wildlife and fisheries management issues, Jim Struther's column, Bob Scammel's column, and the outdoor photography tips. Of the current magazines out there, Alberta Outdoorsmen is one of the best.

I also read the Western Canadian Game Warden magazine - should really get a subscription. As one who had a career goal of working in resource law enforcement, but never succeeded, I really enjoy that magazine.

Mr Conservation

Okotokian
01-30-2015, 05:44 PM
I've honestly never opened or seen the magazine. Magazines and wild tv, just dont interest me.

So give it a try potty, at least once. Good info on things that actually affect US.

Okotokian
01-30-2015, 05:49 PM
I read it... But it's PAINFULLY obvious that most the writers just copy or use info and issues that arise on here first. In fact I find it almost pathetic the amount of bias info and reoccurring facts that I read....

With that behind me I enjoy the magazine and read it monthly....

But STOP getting your stories from AO... Sure they are hot topics but there are dozens of issues or topics that could be covered.

Could not disagree more. If a topic is hot with Alberta hunters and we discuss it here, why in heavens name wouldn't we want that reported and amplified in print journalism???? I think it's great when they highlight concerns voiced by we forum members.

The Fisherman Guy
01-30-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm struck by the number of times there has been a very good, fact-based article in Alberta Outdoorsmen magazine that is relevant to a thread at hand, and yet no one mentions the article.

I haven't seen much out of your corner regarding the above either Oko. Like yourself, I have been a subscriber for a number of years. Alberta Outdoorsmen is a well balanced publication about hunting, fishing and trapping in Alberta - unlike other magazines which tend to touch on broad subjects, I enjoy the facts about Alberta which frequent the articles in AO.

pottymouth
01-30-2015, 06:21 PM
So give it a try potty, at least once. Good info on things that actually affect US.

Isn't that what the Forum is about?

Most times it comes down the line to my email or phone, before the forum gets it. ( my ear is pretty low to the ground) Which by the sounds of it ,it's before the writers read it and write about it. Just not my cup of tea!

Hunter1602
01-30-2015, 08:00 PM
Wifey buys a subscription for me every birthday.
I really liked the wolf artical last month.

honda450
01-30-2015, 08:28 PM
( my ear is pretty low to the ground)

What ya hear when ya put your ear in a wagon rut?

pottymouth
01-30-2015, 09:15 PM
What ya hear when ya put your ear in a wagon rut?

Cowboys!

thumper
01-30-2015, 09:56 PM
I've been a subscriber since the 'magazine' was printed in a newsprint format, and it just keeps on getting better. Mark Boyce was a terrific addition, Brian Bildson has really shone since he expanded beyond strictly trapping stuff, and I hope Bob Scammell goes on forever - the older he gets, the better he writes.

Talking moose
01-30-2015, 10:42 PM
I've been a subscriber since the 'magazine' was printed in a newsprint format, and it just keeps on getting better. Mark Boyce was a terrific addition, Brian Bildson has really shone since he expanded beyond strictly trapping stuff, and I hope Bob Scammell goes on forever - the older he gets, the better he writes.

Talking moose remembers those big newspaper style oldies... Still have a few

shep dog
01-31-2015, 12:42 AM
I'm struck by the number of times there has been a very good, fact-based article in Alberta Outdoorsmen magazine that is relevant to a thread at hand, and yet no one mentions the article. It's as if 95% of forum members have ever read the magazine.

So I'm asking... do you read the magazine regularly?

Facts, relevant information, and reading have no place on the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum.

leeaspell
01-31-2015, 12:46 AM
I used too, but then I found it got boring. The same stories about the kakwa and stories about a new rifle and ballistics that I didn't read the original story about 8 months before. I flip through it while I'm waiting in line at IGA, but I won't pay for it.