PDA

View Full Version : Buddy heater vs burner

leeaspell
01-31-2015, 12:38 AM
Got a question. Is there any advantage of running a buddy heater vs just running a burner on a Coleman stove?

When me and the better have go ice fishing we bring the propane Coleman stove because, because well she's a woman and she likes to cook. But when its to cold we just light the one burner and put it on low to break the chill. It don't seem to burn f all for propane. Just wondering how well the buddy heater works compared to a burner.

calgarychef
01-31-2015, 12:52 AM
The buddy heater is supposed to shut down in low oxygen environments, like when you're about to get gassed to death....the colema stove not so much

leeaspell
01-31-2015, 01:05 AM
I can run a 4 head monitor, not to concerned on that side of it

Hydro1
01-31-2015, 01:28 AM
Coleman stoves usually put out 12,000 btu per burner on high.
However I may be totally wrong here, but catalytic heating methods are a more efficient heat source?
When my heater is on medium 12,000 btu, it seems a lot warmer than the heat the stove produces.

chimpac
01-31-2015, 03:26 AM
The buddy heater is supposed to shut down in low oxygen environments, like when you're about to get gassed to death....the colema stove not so much

Not so much or not at all to be more accurate. What about carbon monoxide?

A chimney fixes the whole problem in a low tech way and gets rid of the water which is a big part of the products of combustion.

If you want heating and a hot cook top use a five gallon pail with a lid, turn it upside down, connect a 3" chimney to a port out the side of the pail near the bottom.
Feed a propane torch into a short 3" or 4" chimney piece inside the pail that takes the heat from the bottom of the can up to an inch or so under the now cook top.
Then you have a propane rocket stove.

waterninja
01-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Along the same line, what would give off more heat or be more efficent? A buddy heater or a sunflower attachment? I Like the sunflower, but then Ive never tried the buddy.