PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun Ice

Og Dumi
01-31-2015, 05:22 PM
Hey everyone, headed out to wab tomorrow. First time ice fishing. Just curious how the ice is and if any one knows where NOT to drive I heard to stay away from the bridge anywhere else? Thanks guys

rubberboots
01-31-2015, 06:13 PM
Hey everyone, headed out to wab tomorrow. First time ice fishing. Just curious how the ice is and if any one knows where NOT to drive I heard to stay away from the bridge anywhere else? Thanks guys

I was at Wab townsite yesterday. Near the boat launch is around 14"-18". I didn't venture much towards the bridge at all. Pike bites really picked up for us around 2:30 and we fished about 3-4 hundred yards off the dock, towards the bridge. You'll need to go out further than you think, I couldn't believe how shallow it was. I drilled quite a few holes and slowly moved deeper into the lake until we got to about 12-15 FOW.

Look for a big wad of frozen weeds on the ice and you'll find my little hot spot. A jack came up with a basketball sized chunk of weeds. I took my 2 little boys (4 & 3yrs) and at one point we all had one on the line!

Smelts on a predator rig was the ticket for us.

Good luck and happy fishing!

Og Dumi
01-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Okay I try to find the area your talking about, Thank you.

EZM
01-31-2015, 11:16 PM
I was at Wab townsite yesterday. Near the boat launch is around 14"-18". I didn't venture much towards the bridge at all. Pike bites really picked up for us around 2:30 and we fished about 3-4 hundred yards off the dock, towards the bridge. You'll need to go out further than you think, I couldn't believe how shallow it was. I drilled quite a few holes and slowly moved deeper into the lake until we got to about 12-15 FOW.

Look for a big wad of frozen weeds on the ice and you'll find my little hot spot. A jack came up with a basketball sized chunk of weeds. I took my 2 little boys (4 & 3yrs) and at one point we all had one on the line!

Smelts on a predator rig was the ticket for us.

Good luck and happy fishing!

You must have found a secret hole ...... I don't think I've seen any water deeper than 10-11 feet within a kilometer of the launch ..... or anywhere in that entire bay really .....

Glad you guys found a good spot ...... that entire bay is shallow and weedy averaging 7-9 feet deep .... lot's of hammer handles and a few big girls every once in a while.

rubberboots
02-01-2015, 11:33 AM
You must have found a secret hole ...... I don't think I've seen any water deeper than 10-11 feet within a kilometer of the launch ..... or anywhere in that entire bay really .....

Glad you guys found a good spot ...... that entire bay is shallow and weedy averaging 7-9 feet deep .... lot's of hammer handles and a few big girls every once in a while.

I didn't pull out the tape measure so I'm more than likely wrong :) just dropped the tip up line down with a sinker and guessed. In a hurry with frozen fingers and making sure my busy boys don't drop any rods down the holes... Hehe! I can vouch for the weeds...

Og Dumi
02-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Great day out on wab today, great weather, great ice no complaints. Lots of hits, caught 3 pike including my new PB. Was fishing about 300 yards out from the townsite dock. Thought I'd share a few pics. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/01/a1086c125f83bbf91122dcd3acfaa34f.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/01/b76506c8c1224082040396b7754068f7.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/01/d098a12bef3e0ab4f031c9ce9f88b20e.jpg

Mitchthefisher
02-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Congrats! some nice fish man.

Bigwoodsman
02-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Sweet. Well done!

BW

Moults
02-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Nice fish! I was out yesterday as well but at the west end. Lots of pike roaming around on the camera. Caught 3 small guys and missed a few on the tip up. THey were being a bit tight lipped. Also caught a nice white and 8 small walleye towards sundown. Glad to see the lake is picking up for all of the species, makes for an unpredictable and really fun day!

I think more lakes should be strictly catch and release, the results are clearly awesome! Just take a couple of the lakes that are completely over pressured and fished out and put a zero limit on em, followed by perhaps a minimal allowance in subsequent years.

Bonescreek
02-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Nice pike!

I'm not from around here...

What's a new PB ?

Geezle
02-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Nice pike!

What's a new PB ?

PB = personal best.

Nice fish man! :cool:

Bigwoodsman
02-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Nice pike!

What's a new PB ?

PB = Peanut Butter bait:test:

BW

Bonescreek
02-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks Geezle.

I havn't gone ice fishing since I was kid, but sure is great to read about it and
see the pictures.

I've been following the lake updates for the last couple of weeks, have seen
fishin shacks fine enough to live in, pictures and stories of first catches and
trophys. Great stuff right there.
But best of all is seeing the friendship and kind offerings made by fellow icers.
:)

I just coined a term for you all "Icers".

Happy memories and tight lines to all.

Bonescreek
02-02-2015, 02:36 PM
:)

It did cross my mind that a New PB was better than an Old PB.

:argue2:

Would have to be Apples to Apples.

Og Dumi
02-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Yeah lots of fish in that lake, not a terrible idea it's nice to have a fresh meal but the lakes that are deemed "dead" should have that rule in effect maybe who knows. I was kinda lazy ;) just had a tip up going. Lots of trucks in the area I was in.