PDA

View Full Version : Worst Play Call I n Sports History?

waterninja
02-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Whether you were cheering for seahawks or patriots, can anyone remember a worse play call then throwing a pass on the 1 yard line on 2nd down?

Blastoff
02-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Just pathetic what a horrible way to loose.

Twisted Canuck
02-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Insanity. I couldn't believe it, not that I cared one way or the other, but it was a certainly a 'Whaaaaa......?" moment.

pikergolf
02-01-2015, 08:27 PM
I am stunned.

Bigwoodsman
02-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Yup. They snatched defeat from victory.

Go Patriots!

BW

10pt
02-01-2015, 08:28 PM
It cost me 100 bucks!😓

Nova
02-01-2015, 08:33 PM
I tuned into the last 2 minutes. Pretty hilarious. Did the Seahawks hire George Cortez in the last little while?

Mike_W
02-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Unreal play with 3 downs left and beastmode Standing there.

moosesqaw
02-01-2015, 08:37 PM
At lease it was a Super Bowl and not a super bore.

north american hunter
02-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Cost me $5, it went to my son:scared:

fishmonger
02-01-2015, 08:42 PM
It was quite "deflating" for sure!

waterninja
02-01-2015, 08:44 PM
This is worse then sask. with 13 men on the field. It's even worse then Steve Smith shooting puck into his own net.

moosesqaw
02-01-2015, 08:46 PM
"Deflating" Eh lol

EZM
02-01-2015, 08:48 PM
I am down in Houston this week, was watching the game in the hotel bar ..... you should have heard the crowd ...... omg ..... lol ........ these boys take football seriously .....

Someone woulda got hurt down here ....... I decided it was time to finish my beer and go back to the room ..... lol.

Definitely a WTF...?!?! moment ....... stunned.

Zip
02-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Yikes...now I'm no football expert what so ever except I played it in high school about 40 years ago..we would have never made that call even in high school..even 40 years ago, wow!!!

New Hunter Okotoks
02-01-2015, 08:53 PM
With just over 1 min of time left and a full set of downs, I was a bit surprised that when NE realized it was going to be a running play on the first down, they didn't just give Lynch a free run into the end zone in order to give Brady as much time as possible to get into field goal range. When they got to the 1 yard line and time was running down, I wondered why NE was not calling a time out of their own. Calling that slant was absolute insanity. Even if they complete the pass, most would still wonder why in the heck a coach would not just call a running play. There are not too many defenses that could hold Lynch to 1 yard.

Dumbest play call ever in the NFL. It's even worse than letting Ray Bourque take a shot in the shootout and leave the best player in history to sit on the bench.

bubba 96
02-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Wilson must have have owed the bookie on that play...

spoiledsaskhunter
02-01-2015, 09:45 PM
can someone tell me who called that play? I don't know if it was a coach or the qb.

doetracks
02-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Unreal play with 3 downs left and beastmode Standing there.

Yup. And we are diehard Hawks fans. Still will be, too.

Hubby said the Pats didn't win, our Hawks LOST.

Dumb dumb dumb play call, that one.

doetracks
02-01-2015, 09:47 PM
can someone tell me who called that play? I don't know if it was a coach or the qb.

We would like to know, too.

Darrell Bevill's calls throughout the season had us scratching our heads. Can't help but think he had something to do with it, but we'll never know.

Riverbc
02-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Lynch in the backfield, and they throw the ball? Dumbest call ever!

fish gunner
02-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Dumb struck , what QB runs that play ??? I dont care who called it !!! Who runs an inside play on the 2yrd line ??? On an early down ?? With lynch in the back field ?? Stunned beyond belief. :sign0176:

bobalong
02-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Almost think the "fix" was in with a call like that, coach, offensive coordinator, QB.................they all that was the right call????????????????

getatmewolf
02-01-2015, 09:56 PM
It made me $300 bucks! But yeah it was a bad call. I was the only happy guy in the room.

roper1
02-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Listening to Russel Wilson post game, sounded like it was not him who made the play call. It will come out some day.

C5Hines
02-01-2015, 09:59 PM
im not surprised. at the start of the season the seahawks made it clear that they were done with marshawn after this season. they treated him like garbage and it doesn't surprise me at all that they took the ball out of his hands on a gimme for him. I had a thought that they were gonna screw him out of glory in the second quarter. seahawks telegraphed that play from the start of the season.

fordtruckin
02-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Sure is the most exciting sport on tv... BAHAHAHA Stupid Play for SURE!

score
02-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Lynch must be some mad....:scared0015:

fordtruckin
02-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Lynch must be some mad....:scared0015:

Seeing the look on Richard Sherman's face when the Pats intercepted the ball with 18seconds left made their loss worth it for me!

300magman
02-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Seeing the look on Richard Sherman's face when the Pats intercepted the ball with 18seconds left made their loss worth it for me!

Absolutely! Where was the "24" he was singing earlier out of him then, lol....oh yeah, it was all they could get on the board.

I'm a die hard pats fan and always have been, they deserved to win that game and it couldn't have been a better finish

Pixel Shooter
02-02-2015, 12:00 AM
I still smile when I hear the name Steve Smith.... ooops wrong sport
Crap way to loose, feel for the hawks, but have to smile as I won a few bucks :)

JohninAB
02-02-2015, 04:58 AM
Not only will the Seahawks wear the crown of dumbest play call in Superbowl history, they also will wear the crown of most classless act in Superbowl history by trying to start a brawl at the end of the game.

expmler
02-02-2015, 06:12 AM
Brady threw it into the end zone from the 3 yd line to take the lead. Nobody is questioning that call.

bagwan
02-02-2015, 07:57 AM
It was just the football gods making up for Kearses fluke reception a couple plays earlier. Sure seemed like someone didn't want Lynch getting the glory, though.

silver
02-02-2015, 08:04 AM
I will say it was a most unexpected play call. If it had worked, he would be a hero. it didn't work so he is the goat.

edmhunter
02-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Great game! Gotta love the NFL. You would have thought that with the tank of a halfback they have they would have tried to run it in, so ya bad call!

Halftime sucked though :(

Riverbc
02-02-2015, 08:27 AM
here's the reasoning http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12266535/super-bowl-xlix-darrell-bevell-seattle-seahawks-play-call-made-kill-clock

58thecat
02-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Bret Hulls foot in the crease...was the worst play "not" called in sports history.

Sorry boys football is not my fancy, now back to the thread!

edmhunter
02-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Bret Hulls foot in the crease...was the worst play "not" called in sports history.

Sorry boys football is not my fancy, now back to the thread!

I played football for 15 years as a middle linebacker. If I had of know that girls like the one in your signature played hockey, I never would have played football and would have taken to the puck real fast! :bad_boys_20:

lmtada
02-02-2015, 10:23 AM
A mistake. So what! Pete Carrol called it, admitted a mistake. How many of you guys admit your mistakes?? The Hawks will be back. They know how to win. They know what it's like to loose the superbowl. They will win again. Hawks have been to the final four three years in a row. Good for Brady and Bellicheck. Patriots fan.

Great game! Gotta love the NFL. You would have thought that with the tank of a halfback they have they would have tried to run it in, so ya bad call!

Halftime sucked though :(

mooseknuckle
02-02-2015, 10:38 AM
It cost me 100 bucks!��

Won me $750!!

AbAngler
02-02-2015, 10:53 AM
An early article said it was Darrell Bevell (offensive coordinator) who made the call, but more recent articles say Carroll is taking the blame...

Either way, definitely one of the worst calls in Superbowl history. When you have Beast Mode, who makes 1 yard in his sleep, and rarely drops the ball, waiting to run it in, and you call a play that has even a remote chance to be intercepted, you earn worst call status. Just brutal.

Riverbc
02-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Quote attributed to Woody Hayes: "There are three things that can happen when you throw a pass, and two of them are bad."

wildwoods
02-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Horrid call. Awesome game.

DiabeticKripple
02-02-2015, 02:01 PM
fake handoff to marshawn on 2nd down, wilson runs to the other side with not a defender anywhere near him

ORV
02-02-2015, 02:38 PM
fake handoff to marshawn on 2nd down, wilson runs to the other side with not a defender anywhere near him

ha. ha. that's what I was thinking too.lol

Jamie
02-02-2015, 02:42 PM
I don't mind the idea of a pass. But do not throw it in the middle.
Throw out to the outside where if the catch is missed, no one can intercept.

The worst brain fart in the history of the game. It cot a team, a city and a legion of fans a Super Bowl title.

Should he resign?

Jamie

DiabeticKripple
02-02-2015, 03:08 PM
I don't mind the idea of a pass. But do not throw it in the middle.
Throw out to the outside where if the catch is missed, no one can intercept.

The worst brain fart in the history of the game. It cot a team, a city and a legion of fans a Super Bowl title.

Should he resign?

Jamie

my answer is no.

he took the team to back to back super bowls, winning one.

also 1 play does not win or lose the game

doetracks
02-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Which "he"?

Bevell designed the play.

Carroll agreed with it.

Wilson threw it.

Carroll and Wilson are accepting responsibility, I have YET to see any report on Bevell doing the same.

If anyone, Bevell needs to be released. He made crappy, crappy play calls all season. Making adjustments seemed to be a foreign concept to him.

Sucks all around.

clarki
02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Lynch had 5 runs from the 1 yard line during the regular season. he scored once... pats were stacked at the line to stop what everybody thought would be a hand off to Lynch. IMO its not a bad call to throw. if its incomplete the clock stops and then you feed the beast on 3rd down. the conspiracy theories are crap. Lynch almost scored on the previous play so he was given a chance for glory. carroll also said he planned on going to Lynch on 3rd down... probably one of the best Superbowl games ever

Gboe8
02-02-2015, 03:35 PM
That dum play save me a 100 bucks and won me a 100 ha.

AI 6.5
02-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Yup. And we are diehard Hawks fans. Still will be, too.

Hubby said the Pats didn't win, our Hawks LOST.

Dumb dumb dumb play call, that one.

I was at the game and cheering for the Pats. Growing up in the maritimes I was always a Patriots fan.Quite the experience being in the building. As far as the Seahawks go, they were lucky to be in the Super Bowl. You can also say the Seahawks didn't win, Green Bay lost. The way they played for the majority of that game, if it wasn't for that flukey on side kick, Green Bay would have been playing the Patriots.

Jamie
02-02-2015, 04:09 PM
my answer is no.

It did in this case.

edmhunter
02-02-2015, 04:17 PM
It did in this case.

He is right..............and it actually does. In any case, it was a great game and I was completely entertained. Love a NFL game when it's down to the wire! :)

doetracks
02-02-2015, 04:18 PM
I was at the game and cheering for the Pats. Growing up in the maritimes I was always a Patriots fan.Quite the experience being in the building. As far as the Seahawks go, they were lucky to be in the Super Bowl. You can also say the Seahawks didn't win, Green Bay lost. The way they played for the majority of that game, if it wasn't for that flukey on side kick, Green Bay would have been playing the Patriots.

Seattle played crappy in the first 3 quarters of that game too, but made a decisive comeback. Won't dispute their crappy performance for the first, oh.. 55 minutes of that game :thinking-006:

I don't think I can make that correlation there, but that's just me :)

There is a bit of a difference between throwing away the play that potentially wins the game and making the play that wins the game. Potentially. Even if Lockette *would* have retrieved the ball, there's no guarantee NE would have allowed a TD.

It's all potential.

I'm still learning this foosball thing. Hubby is the diehard. I learn a lot from him.

Skybuster
02-02-2015, 04:22 PM
It did in this case.

that's what I was thinking.

DiabeticKripple
02-02-2015, 04:46 PM
It did in this case.

how many dropped balls, missed blocks, and passes are there in a game?

that is what i was trying to say. it did come down to one play, but had the team played better the whole game, they wouldnt have had to have it come down to that play

HalfBreed
02-02-2015, 04:53 PM
how many dropped balls, missed blocks, and passes are there in a game?

that is what i was trying to say. it did come down to one play, but had the team played better the whole game, they wouldnt have had to have it come down to that play

Very true.

fish gunner
02-02-2015, 05:07 PM

Its called, a play action qb sneak . They thru a slant without play action like they were using most of the game . In a game seperated by less than a touch down it came down to one play.

pikergolf
02-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Its called, a play action qb sneak . They thru a slant without play action like they were using most of the game . In a game seperated by less than a touch down it came down to one play.

Pretty sure NE was sitting on both those options, as has been mentioned Seattle has not been stellar from that close in. From my memory it was worse than what clarki quoted. Pass was good, the defensive play was just better.

fish gunner
02-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Pretty sure NE was sitting on both those options, as has been mentioned Seattle has not been stellar from that close in. From my memory it was worse than what clarki quoted. Pass was good, the defensive play was just better.

No doubt abought the result:budo:. Imo Seattle played a good game, defensively all over brady, kept gronk mostly quiet and had a few sacks.
Untill the interception patriots had 2-3 sacks .....and thats it really . Offence struggled all game with next to no spark away from gronks carries. Ill suggest wilson ran the called play into an inside short defence wth only one out come ime the way wilson had played all game the plau action sneak was a, if not the high percentage call lynch being next . And yes the O coach has had issues all season shame it bit them in the end .

From The Hip
02-02-2015, 05:29 PM
I watch 2 football games a year.The Grey Cup and the Superbowl(Superbowl is a better game but the Grey Cup trophy is way better) so I am not a sports junkie or an armchair quaterback diehard NFL fan who can spout statistics non stop.

That being said all I can say is that it was a really stupid play.Seattle should have called a time out and stacked their line to make a running drive to score and as a couple of others mentioned about arranging the line to support a hand off to Lynch and Wilson faking it and going the opposite direction most likely would have resulted in a TD as EVERY Patriots player would be dialed in on Lynch.There was more than enough time to think it through had a time out been called or even 2 timeouts to even rally the players a bit and get them psyched up and inspired.

I will say it was a really good game though and I am looking forward to Superbowl 2017 when Canadians will get to watch the actual Superbowl TV ads instead of subbed Canadian content.

FTH

Jamie
02-03-2015, 12:35 PM
my answer is no.

I am wondering if he has lost his team?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2351083-report-anonymous-seahawks-player-agrees-with-anti-marshawn-lynch-conspiracy

It seemed the Seahawks were playing by the seat of their pants this year. Is this enough to snuff them out for another decade?

Jamie

Xbolt7mm
02-03-2015, 12:49 PM
I was at the game on the goal line in row 23, it happened right in front of me, it was awesome, go Pats

NewGuard84
02-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Short yardage red zone situation, 1st or 2nd down (NFL) with any decent RB and running QB should not be a throw.... Risky business and the risk was realized this time.