PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour feeding deer?

thirty-30
02-01-2015, 10:43 PM
So, the guy one property over from me -- I live in the midst of nowhere -- is very, very tree hugging liberal. He isn't actually the owner of the property, there is an old house there and he is paid to look after it and stay there. This is the same guy who called the cops on me for firing three shots to sight in a rifle on my own land.

There are an absolute metric ton of deer on his property, an unnatural amount. The road right in front of it is crisscrossed with tracks and you can see spots where they have been crossing through his property and have worn paths right down to mud.

I've counted thirteen in a hundred yards before on the side of the road I and the numbers are only increasing. I'm fairly sure he's feeding them, and it's been causing me and my tenant real problems and it's getting worse.

The predictable happened last night and my other half hit one and smashed up her car and shook herself up pretty bad.

Do I have a leg to stand on to call SRD to come in and investigate the situation?

Artist
02-02-2015, 12:52 AM
So, the guy one property over from me -- I live in the midst of nowhere -- is very, very tree hugging liberal. He isn't actually the owner of the property, there is an old house there and he is paid to look after it and stay there. This is the same guy who called the cops on me for firing three shots to sight in a rifle on my own land.

There are an absolute metric ton of deer on his property, an unnatural amount. The road right in front of it is crisscrossed with tracks and you can see spots where they have been crossing through his property and have worn paths right down to mud.

I've counted thirteen in a hundred yards before on the side of the road I and the numbers are only increasing. I'm fairly sure he's feeding them, and it's been causing me and my tenant real problems and it's getting worse.

The predictable happened last night and my other half hit one and smashed up her car and shook herself up pretty bad.

Do I have a leg to stand on to call SRD to come in and investigate the situation?

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's illegal to feed deer. That's a tough one. Creating a 'road hazard' may be something to look into.

protect
02-02-2015, 01:52 AM
If you know there is lots of deer on road in that area you can drive with caution. He can feed the deer in off season.

Hydro1
02-02-2015, 02:09 AM
I think it's legal to feed deer. It only become illegal if you are "baiting" them.
What kind of problems are these deer causing your tenant and you?
That's about the only angle I could see anyone doing anything about. (Dependant on your answer)
I'm sorry about the misses.
Talk with you neighbor , man to man. Explain to him your side of what's going on. See if you can figure something out. If not then possibly look into other options.
Just my .02 cents.

zabbo
02-02-2015, 06:49 AM

Try some deer whistles on all your vehicles. Slow down. Maybe a little regular target practice is in order. On your own land of course. Things to try.

thirty-30
02-02-2015, 08:17 AM
She was going less than 40 kph.

We always slow down in this spot, and the deer literally ran head first into the side of her car.

thirty-30
02-02-2015, 09:13 AM
No front end damage, literally ran right into the side of her head first.

*shakes head*

http://i.imgur.com/oapz4Xg.jpg

gunsight
02-02-2015, 09:17 AM
go get some wolf scent put on trails .

albertadeer
02-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Target practice ALOT more...

Wild&Free
02-02-2015, 09:53 AM
http://m.torontosun.com/2013/10/13/disco-poles-deter-deer-collisions

Couldn't find any recent articles, but 90% effectiveness seems like a good investment for road safety.

thirty-30
02-02-2015, 10:27 AM
So you were miffed about him calling the cops for what you were doing on YOUR property, but now you want to phone fish cops for what he may be doing on HIS property.

After seeing my lady crying and having to pay for the damage to the car?

Absolutely.

I don't shoot holes in his silos.

There's a difference between doing something privately and endangering everyone around you.

Unfortunately, you don't see it that way and just want to come be a tough guy.

Elkaholic338
02-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Hey Thirty-30, not sure where you are located, but one option might be to look into setting up a scare cannon, such as used to keep wildlife from feeding on farmers feed supplies. I believe they are available from F&W, but not sure if they would give you one if you have no feed to protect. on the other hand it would sure be nice to have for your neighbour to listen to...lol

Big Sky
02-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Do the deer cross your property to get to the food source? Do the deer cross the property of other neighbors who share your concerns?

If you can get legal access to the deer's travel routes, you could just invite some people over to shoot the deer.

pottymouth
02-02-2015, 11:36 AM

Absolutely.

There's a difference between doing something privately and endangering everyone around you.

That's what your insurance is for, and it's a no fault claim, so your premiums don't get affected.

Pretty week argument btw. Country roads, its bound to happen, not your neighbors fault!

I got hit by a deer once, and my truck was completely parked ..engine off,in the middle of a snow storm. Killed himself ... LOL...dumb whitetail buck!

KGB
02-02-2015, 11:42 AM
There was a post earlier here. The guy had like 6 big cats on his property. Can you invite him over WITH cats? Problem solved....

Matt L.
02-02-2015, 12:10 PM
I can see this from another angle, the last thing you need is a treehugger/anti hunter who now has a sense of owner/protector of the local deer because he's been feeding them all winter. Good chance there'll be more problems down the road.

pacs5
02-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Arrange access permission to as many properties in the nearby area including your own and Post it here and on KiJJI before hunting season!

Lots of new and not so new hunters I am sure would be more than happy to come and thin the herd come hunting season. Lots not looking for trophy, just meat for the freezer.

What area we talking about?:sHa_shakeshout:

thirty-30
02-02-2015, 12:32 PM
That's what your insurance is for, and it's a no fault claim, so your premiums don't get affected.

Pretty week argument btw. Country roads, its bound to happen, not your neighbors fault!

I got hit by a deer once, and my truck was completely parked ..engine off,in the middle of a snow storm. Killed himself ... LOL...dumb whitetail buck!

That is basically what this one did. Straight head first into her quarter panel, broke the neck.

Thinlizzy
02-02-2015, 12:37 PM

Omg Potty that must of scared you. Did you see it coming??
Would love to hear that story.

wildside2014
02-02-2015, 12:44 PM

^^^

This post made me howl.

I cant even imagine how I would have reacted

muzzy
02-02-2015, 01:12 PM
I just love your tag at the bottom of your posts How prophetic lol looks like your wife found the perfect caliber. Is a bummer though no one needs/likes to have to fork out deductible.

EZM
02-02-2015, 01:23 PM
I might be over simplifying this one.......... but I'd just go over to the "very tree hugging" "liberal hippies" place and speak with him.

Bring some granola, or chai, and be prepared to be civil. I bet that might just work.

albertadeer
02-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Feed them on your land or somewhere else?

The most food wins

dmcbride
02-02-2015, 01:26 PM
On the bright side it could be some good shed hunting in the spring.:sHa_shakeshout:

thirty-30
02-02-2015, 01:35 PM
For those who are wondering why I suspect he's feeding them?

I don't see deer at all for the entire length of a 7 km back road. And yet strangely in the space of 100 yards, I see them multiple times a day, and have since the snow came, and for the rest of the road... nothing. Barely even a track.

Yet all around his property they've worn paths down to the mud, and along this 100 yards, both sides of the road are heavily tracked. Nowhere else. Just in front of his place. I will post pictures if I need to. It's not random bad luck. This is where they are, plain and simple, and they are not moving on.

I am not hallucinating this, there is something keeping them there, we've noticed it for quite awhile, it just so happened this is when something came of it.

And why do I call him a tree hugging liberal? He doesn't own the land, he's just some guy living there to look after an old house, and the last time I went to talk to him about hunting there he gave me a big long speech about how he doesn't like hurting animals. Then a week later called the cops on me for sighting in a rifle on my own land.

I like to think I've been around these forums for long enough to be known as someone who doesn't dream stuff up.

I want to add that both his place and mine are surrounded by fields... also almost no tracks. And yet his place is the deer hilton.

thirty-30
02-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Do the deer cross your property to get to the food source? Do the deer cross the property of other neighbors who share your concerns?

If you can get legal access to the deer's travel routes, you could just invite some people over to shoot the deer.

They do seem to be rarely crossing my land near my driveway, but not in the frequency on his. They have well travelled paths on his land where the snow is worn right down to the mud, occasional use of one particular trail in mine.

fish_e_o
02-02-2015, 01:38 PM

well i don't think that's true. when you draw in deer to feed at your feeding site you have changed the patterns of deer to possibly cross roads where they may not normally.

there is liability there, how much is the question

Artist
02-02-2015, 01:51 PM
For those who are wondering why I suspect he's feeding them?

OK - so he's feeding them - so what, it's not illegal.

I think you need to shift your focus away from "he's feeding them" to "there may be a road-hazard being created" - that's a separate issue, and that may be the only avenue (if any) that might hold any possibility of any authority giving your concern the time of day.

If I were you, I'd pick a nice strategic spot on my (your) property close to the fence-line bordering his [if absolutely necessary - I'd first look for a spot that will not inflame the issue], and dump a huge pile of nice alfalfa/grain/apples etc. Not only will you re-direct the deer to a place of your choosing, you'll also be in good shape when hunting season rolls around!

densa44
02-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Would those coyote calls work? Worth a try IMO. Next year shoot lots of them so there aren't as many on the road.

When I hunt upland birds and my dog goes into a grove of trees near my place, the WT come out on the east side and the muleies on the west side.

Do you have some dogs?

dmcbride
02-02-2015, 02:21 PM
well i don't think that's true. when you draw in deer to feed at your feeding site you have changed the patterns of deer to possibly cross roads where they may not normally.

I dunno, is it any different then deer yarding up near bail stacks in farmers yards.

fish_e_o
02-02-2015, 02:26 PM
I dunno, is it any different then deer yarding up near bail stacks in farmers yards.

i guess two things about that.

1. they aren't there for the purpose of the deer and steps are usually taken to stop the deer from doing this.

2. if they put their stacks by the road. well i guess you get what's coming to you. you probably should have known better

neznam
02-02-2015, 02:33 PM
http://youtu.be/RFCrJleggrI

dmcbride
02-02-2015, 02:34 PM
i guess two things about that.

1. they aren't there for the purpose of the deer and steps are usually taken to stop the deer from doing this.

2. if they put their stacks by the road. well i guess you get what's coming to you. you probably should have known better

Just throwing it out their.:)

There are a few farms around my place where the deer seem to yard up and are crossing the road from the bush to the farm. They seem to eat the left overs that the farmers put out for the cattle.

On a side note the deer aren't yarded up in my area yet. The deer have had it pretty good this year compared to the last few years.:sHa_shakeshout:

pottymouth
02-02-2015, 02:43 PM

Ever experience the rut? Or see a cougar run into a herd?

It's the country animals will cross whenever, where ever they want! and if you know that there is a food source around, then you should really have no reason not to be careful. My neighbors got about 80 deer feeding on his leftover seed, I do 10km/h the last 2 km to my house at night!

thirty-30
02-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Sad thing is, I agree with you completely.

The irony is, this deer hit her.

dgl1948
02-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Tell him that feeding the deer is a good way to speard CWD and that would kill them.

fish_e_o
02-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Ever experience the rut? Or see a cougar run into a herd?

It's the country animals will cross whenever, where ever they want!

very true. but if you can present a case saying your neighbor escalated danger by feeding the deer you will likely be able to sue them for damages.

you can't sue a cougar but if you catch him you can do much worse ;)

Artist
02-02-2015, 03:42 PM
very true. but if you can present a case saying your neighbor escalated danger by feeding the deer you will likely be able to sue them for damages.

...sue your neighbour because a deer ran into your car?
Are you serious?

fish_e_o
02-02-2015, 03:49 PM
...sue your neighbour because a deer ran into your car?
Are you serious?

absolutely you could! if they have shown negligence you have every right.

would i? no i wouldn't ever. i would get my found dead and grind it up into dog food and call my insurance company.

we rely on our neighbors out here ;) $500 is a cheap price to pay for a good neighbor

airbornedeerhunter
02-02-2015, 03:56 PM

Uh, no. You can't sue someone because wildlife crossed the road. Deliberately feeding them or not, it would be no different if the deer were coming in and feeding on crops. You would waste your own money on a lawyer and a judge may order YOU to pay any and all legal fees the other side incurred defending themselves from a frivolous lawsuit.

What if you were hunting or private land and shot a deer and his/her friends bolted across a range road and ran into or were struck by a car? Are you at fault? You caused the deer to run and cross the road right? Feeding wildlife isn't illegal unless you are in a provincial/national park.

elkdump
02-02-2015, 03:57 PM
My neighbour don't like me feeding deer in the winter,, very rural ag area, with 100,s of deer and elk and lots of moose, who also come for free hay at my place,

He feed Grosbeaks and Buluejays ,, his wife feeds Ravens, the dum f--n cow,,

I told him he could kiss my xxx,

He hasn't mentioned it lately .:sHa_sarcasticlol:

airbornedeerhunter
02-02-2015, 03:58 PM
absolutely you could! if they have shown negligence you have every right.

would i? no i wouldn't ever. i would get my found dead and grind it up into dog food and call my insurance company.

we rely on our neighbors out here ;) $500 is a cheap price to pay for a good neighbor

Unless they dumped a pile of grain deliberately in the middle of a road in an area with an abundance of deer they have shown no negligence. It is not illegal to feed wildlife unless you're in a park! Any attempted litigation would be deemed frivolous and tossed.

Springerman
02-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Absolutely.

Check with your insurance agent I think animal collisons are covered under your comprehensive rather than collison section.

vcmm
02-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Try the ask F&W sticky on hunting page:thinking-006:. Can't hurt.

fish_e_o
02-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Unless they dumped a pile of grain deliberately in the middle of a road
and feeding right beside the road would be less negligent?

fish_e_o
02-02-2015, 04:19 PM
it would be no different if the deer were coming in and feeding on crops.

the difference is intent. so it's very different

successful? who knows i guess that depends on how much of a case you can build. likely not

also lawyer costs in small claims? i doubt it highly

sjd
02-02-2015, 05:19 PM
sorry to hear about your wife's car.

Talk to your neighbour bury the hatchet and start again. It sounds like you are fixating on your dislike for "the tree hugging liberal" which is not going to help you in the long run.

treat him like a neighbour and find some common ground. It sounds like you are carrying bitterness about the sighting in incident. Chances are he was new to the country and inexperienced not that he's out to get you.

If he is feeding CWD and attracting cougars are good things to bring up.

Mhunter51
02-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Looking at the pics of that car I think the deer did you a favour. It's got a lot more issues than a deer hitting it at " 40km/h ". Besides, the deer were in the country LONG before you or I were, kinda like first residents !!

Willowtrail
02-02-2015, 06:11 PM
I had a deer run into me once in kananaskis country. It wasn't a fun experience.

I hope your wife is ok thirty-30

michaelmicallef
02-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Not sure if you want to scare them away but deer don't like coyote calls and wolf calls. I started a stampede of mule deer on a friends property just to see if the 20 or so deer on his granola deer feeding niaghbours property would even notice. They sure did. But that would only be a short term solution I would think it would probably upset the neighbour . But it will scare the deer. But if someone called the cops on me for target shooting on my own land I'd be howling away.

Redfrog
02-02-2015, 06:18 PM
I think you all have missed the most important question.

Why did the deer cross the road?:thinking-006:

protect
02-02-2015, 07:31 PM
I think you all have missed the most important question.

Why did the deer cross the road?:thinking-006:

TO GET TO TJHE OTHER SIDE LOL:sHa_shakeshout:

Au revoir, Gopher
02-03-2015, 09:22 AM
It would seem it is an age old problem :)

http://assets.amuniversal.com/7d8d68b087fc0132c1a4005056a9545d

ARG