PDA

View Full Version : where to find freshwater shrimp

Huntingonthebrain
12-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm looking to catch some freshwater shrimp by the hundreds any suggestions as to where I should start looking??

pdfish
12-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Lake Isle west of edmonton. Try around the big island north of the camp (He-Ho-Ha?) Two winters ago, drilled a couple of holes about 20-30 out from the reeds and hundreds were coming out when we pulled up the auger.

But I gotta ask, what are u wanting the shrimp for? They gotta be tough to peel and de-vein. :D

Couleestalker
12-20-2008, 09:50 AM
We find them in dugouts. Try drilling in about 2-3 ft of water, if nothing comes up try a different spot. I have had times were nothing comes up I moved two or three ft and there would be 30-50 come out. The only part sucks is that you have to pick them up of the snow before they freeze. Awesome bait for jumbo perch

Scott N
12-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Tyrrell Lake near New Dayton used to be full of them if you are in Southern Alberta. I'm not sure what the status of that lake is anymore though since I haven't been there for years.

cujo1969
12-20-2008, 10:37 AM
There was lots in Twin Valley dam west of Champion last year couple the shallow holes we dug the shrimp just poured out when used auger clean out hole.