PDA

View Full Version : Emergency food group buy

HyperMOA
02-02-2015, 12:19 AM
I am considering buying some emergency freeze-dried food. Wondering if there are any others that would consider making a larger order to reduce costs? PM if interested. Thanks.

fish_e_o
02-02-2015, 08:21 AM
is this also the kind of stuff you could take back packing?

HalfBreed
02-02-2015, 08:53 AM
is this also the kind of stuff you could take back packing?

Depending on the company, yes and no.

I've looked at a lot of the products and they generally come in a big can.

The individual packages tend to be good for 5 years, the big giant can can be good for up to 25 years.

I don't pack with cans and repackaging into individual portions can be a hassle.

They make variety buckets, but I like to enjoy every meal on the trail, not dread trying something that tastes like a dirty donkeys rear end.

I once had a can of Mountain House that I broke down, but with the ziplock freezerbags, I was carrying out the same volume of garbage with nominal weight/ cost savings.

I suppose for piece of mind it's good to put some up, but bad tasting/textured food can be terrible on personal morale if it's being used as emergency rations, regardless of hunger.

Try what you buy so there's no surprise, especially if kids are on the feeding list.

YmmV :)

HyperMOA
02-02-2015, 10:30 AM
The food is very similar to the Mountain House pouches many backpacker/campers use. They are just twice the size. You could easily break them down to Mountain House size. They both are "just add water" products.

I am looking at Legacy and Wise Foods. They both come in 120 serving pails. Inside the pails are resealable mylar pouches containing 4 servings per pouch. No 10 pound cans here. They are MSG, GMO, Trans fat, and cholesterol free. They also contain low sodium. These are variety buckets containing breakfast, and dinner meals. About 17/23 different meal varieties per bucket. They have a 25 year shelf life. They are both freeze-dried, or dehydrated products.

KGB
02-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Is this stuff good for like Zombi Apocalips?

Quinn
02-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Zombi Apocalips?

Huh???

Big Sky
02-02-2015, 12:22 PM

Huh???

I think he's wondering what you are preparing for?
Hunting trip?
Quebec ice storms situation?
"Blast from the Past" type of situation?
End of world - zombie apocolypse situation?

KGB
02-02-2015, 12:27 PM
That's it!

HyperMOA
02-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Hey KGB, if you are worried about zombies you can store it beside your case of Hornady zombie ammo. I am sure you will make out great.

fish_e_o
02-02-2015, 12:47 PM
i'm not sure i want 120 servings is that the only size you can get?

also the mountain house meals make me ummmm... more susceptible to being winded by wild game. whats this stuff like?

recce43
02-02-2015, 12:58 PM
everbody is suppose to be prepared aleast for 72 hrs food water heat shelter goverment guidlines .. iam good for 2weeks for a family of four

EZM
02-02-2015, 01:16 PM
everbody is suppose to be prepared aleast for 72 hrs food water heat shelter goverment guidlines .. iam good for 2weeks for a family of four

72 hours .... no problem the pantry has all sorts of stuff in it that is hiding on the back of the shelf.

recce43
02-02-2015, 01:41 PM
72 hours .... no problem the pantry has all sorts of stuff in it that is hiding on the back of the shelf.

but are you packed if you have to leave with out awarning ?

HyperMOA
02-02-2015, 02:16 PM
i'm not sure i want 120 servings is that the only size you can get?

also the mountain house meals make me ummmm... more susceptible to being winded by wild game. whats this stuff like?

There are smaller portions but not if we are trying to get a large order together. They make 72 hour kits as well. That may be more up your alley.

HalfBreed
02-02-2015, 02:23 PM

I didn't know zombies ate this stuff, that explains some of the people seen out hiking. :scared0018:

killerbren
02-02-2015, 05:47 PM
I am considering buying some emergency freeze-dried food. Wondering if there are any others that would consider making a larger order to reduce costs? PM if interested. Thanks.

PM sent, thinking about vacuum sealing single portions to eat out on the trail

HalfBreed
02-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Sucks whats going on with the dollar as I've been eyeballing a countertop freezedryer.

Wonder what kind of trades I could pull off with individual meals? :thinking-006:

billycap
02-02-2015, 11:12 PM
http://www.dri-harvest.com/
This place is local and going out of business after many years. Looks to be some decent sale prices but im no expert.
Was looking to get some food to cache in my deep bush camps so its less i have to pack in for short trips.

AbAngler
02-03-2015, 08:32 AM
http://www.dri-harvest.com/
This place is local and going out of business after many years. Looks to be some decent sale prices but im no expert.
Was looking to get some food to cache in my deep bush camps so its less i have to pack in for short trips.

Those are some good deals. I ordered a few things.