PDA

View Full Version : Lower K Open Water

Fishslayer99
02-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Looking for some info, is it legal to fish the open water on lower Kananaskis Lake created by the water flowing into it from the upper lake. I know there are regulations regarding distances you have to be away from weirs or spillways that would likely pertain to this. The area of open water is quite large and I was thinking if I could put the stubby rod down and make a few casts it would be a nice change. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated, the CO's are no stranger's around there and the last thing I would like to do is break any laws.

trouty
02-02-2015, 05:25 PM
you're fine, no setbacks required.

Bhflyfisher
02-02-2015, 08:07 PM
I believe there is an exception that because its not dam on a flowing water body, and its not "preventing" a natural migration (However a long ways back it probably was). I could be entirely wrong, but thats my general understanding and its never been an issue fishing there.

You're definitely fine to fish there, I've been there with CO's, and its a busy place in the summer. However, i would be leery on making the drive or bring ice gear incase. I've been there and the water hasn't been on, and few times buddies have gone, and similar, except it was locked up with ice.

However people are pounding the crap out of it just off the edge of where the ice is usually open, I'm sure if you could contact someone who has been out there recently, you'd be able to know how much/when the water comes on.

SCHOOCH
02-02-2015, 09:04 PM
I have fished the open water there several times......your good to go !

Fishslayer99
02-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Great,

Appreciate the replies, looks like I may be in luck next trip out. Always go there planning to ice fish but I will bring the spinning rod with me and try it out if the water is still open!