PDA

View Full Version : Cure

Au revoir, Gopher
02-02-2015, 06:40 PM
I have been looking at sausage recipes online and most of them call for some quantity of "cure". So I start looking for "cure". In the past, I have only ever used Morton's Tender Quick ('cause that is what the recipe called for), but I soon find there is: quick cure, fast cure, insta cure, pink salt, prague powder, f.s. cure. Everything except the cure for the common cold. Then there are #1 and #2 variants of most of those.

How much do you trust the people who are packaging this stuff? For example, I have a package of Prague Powder #2. From what I can find, the accepted definition of Prague Powder #2 is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 4% sodium nitrate. The list of ingredients on the package I have doesn't mention sodium nitrate and it doesn't mention the percentages.

What is a guy supposed to do? Wing it?

ARG

HalfBreed
02-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks for posting this, I was looking at cure#2 and thinking 'Huh?'

Kanonfodder
02-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Ask Omega

Redfrog
02-02-2015, 07:00 PM
He's using Cure #2 in his latest project.:sHa_shakeshout:

Piker
02-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Go to the Bradley smokers forum and it has all the info you will need. Piker

omega50
02-02-2015, 08:07 PM
I would suspect that your cure may be stale dated unless you bought it in the US.

Cure #1 in all it's variations is ballpark 93% salt and 7% nitrite in solution and then dried and ground so they can't separate out of suspension
Every cure company has some variation, but generally it is dosed at 2.5g -4g per kg of formulation depending on the maker. This info needs to be on the package. If it is not then I would either not use it- or default to the lower dose of 2.5 grams per kg

Cure #1 would be suitable for a sausage to be smoked and cooked in some fashion before eating.

Cure#2 and all of it's variations- Prague Powder, Ultra Cure 2 etc all contain a similar amount of salt, but some or all of the cure % comes from NITRATE. The bacteria and moisture in the sausage will break down the nitrate over time releasing NITRITE providing a more continuous protective release suitable for air dried or long cured product that may or may not be smoked, but will be consumed raw without further cooking.
Pink salt is a smart idea because visually if you see pink-you know 100% that it has cure in it.

Nitrates and Nitrites are much safer to use in this fashion bound to a salt carrier.
Even though these contain salt- THESE are considered CURE and still need to have salt added separately as per the recipe. As long as you use 2.5g of cure-you will be safe to increase or decrease the salt component to your taste and be perfectly safe.

Tender quick is a simplified cure that has severe limitations because the salt called for in the recipe is blended with sugar and also has a hidden percentage of nitrite and nitrate.
If you reduce the amount to make it less salty-you are also reducing the amount of cure and that could have huge food safety consequences.

Your best bet might be to tell me exactly what you intend to make and let me get the proper cure to you.
I am currently very well stocked on both Cure #1 and Cure#2 and I can get some of each to you.
I personally don't ever use Tender Quick because of the lack of control that is inherent in it's use.

RandyBoBandy
02-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Omega50 is pure GOLD when it comes to recipes and recipe info...Thank you :)

I would suspect that your cure may be stale dated unless you bought it in the US.

Cure #1 in all it's variations is ballpark 93% salt and 7% nitrite in solution and then dried and ground so they can't separate out of suspension
Every cure company has some variation, but generally it is dosed at 2.5g -4g per kg of formulation depending on the maker. This info needs to be on the package. If it is not then I would either not use it- or default to the lower dose of 2.5 grams per kg

Cure #1 would be suitable for a sausage to be smoked and cooked in some fashion before eating.

Cure#2 and all of it's variations- Prague Powder, Ultra Cure 2 etc all contain a similar amount of salt, but some or all of the cure % comes from NITRATE. The bacteria and moisture in the sausage will break down the nitrate over time releasing NITRITE providing a more continuous protective release suitable for air dried or long cured product that may or may not be smoked, but will be consumed raw without further cooking.
Pink salt is a smart idea because visually if you see pink-you know 100% that it has cure in it.

Nitrates and Nitrites are much safer to use in this fashion bound to a salt carrier.
Even though these contain salt- THESE are considered CURE and still need to have salt added separately as per the recipe. As long as you use 2.5g of cure-you will be safe to increase or decrease the salt component to your taste and be perfectly safe.

Tender quick is a simplified cure that has severe limitations because the salt called for in the recipe is blended with sugar and also has a hidden percentage of nitrite and nitrate.
If you reduce the amount to make it less salty-you are also reducing the amount of cure and that could have huge food safety consequences.

Your best bet might be to tell me exactly what you intend to make and let me get the proper cure to you.
I am currently very well stocked on both Cure #1 and Cure#2 and I can get some of each to you.
I personally don't ever use Tender Quick because of the lack of control that is inherent in it's use.

Kanonfodder
02-02-2015, 08:41 PM

With apologies to Rug we nay have to start a thread called Ask Omega50

lok
02-02-2015, 08:42 PM

Just a quick question. I bought some prague powder from halfords a few years ago and was told it is cure #1.... (nitrite) From a few things I have read about cures, all cure #1 should be pink? and this stuff it just white.... Any info or do I just trust the people at halfords?

also, what is speed cure that comes with some of their sausage mixes?

buckmaster
02-02-2015, 09:00 PM

Omega, i have used morton quick cure for making dry cured sausage/soppresata and capicollo for over 20yrs and have never had any problems with this salt or curing process. I do add/mix hy-grade salt with the morton salt though.

omega50
02-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Just a quick question. I bought some prague powder from halfords a few years ago and was told it is cure #1.... (nitrite) From a few things I have read about cures, all cure #1 should be pink? and this stuff it just white.... Any info or do I just trust the people at halfords?

also, what is speed cure that comes with some of their sausage mixes?

I trust the package directions only- more so than the advice at the counter. I have never used Halfords so I don't know if they are branding their own product or do they simply sell someone else's cures and spices. I am unaware of what speed cure might be because I have never used it.
Most of the cure regardless of whether it is #1 or #2 available in Canada will be white.
The US seems to be ahead of us in that regard and pink salt is much more common there.
The pink color has no cure benefit except as a visual safety reminder that the substance in your hand is cure and proceed with caution.

Wear rubber/ surgical style gloves if rubbing cure into meat
Your white cure #1 is A-OK

Sometimes you will see lower dosing for bacon than for sausage.
This is because bacon is generally cooked over high heat and could form nitrosamines -linked to increased cancer risk.

omega50
02-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Omega, i have used morton quick cure for making dry cured sausage/soppresata and capicollo for over 20yrs and have never had any problems with this salt or curing process. I do add/mix hy-grade salt with the morton salt though.

And therein lies the rub-This all in one cure has never given you trouble-yet you are adding hygrade salt to it. Must be for a reason.

Example

I make a Pepper Cheese Smokie recipe which has hot Pickled Pepper Rings complete with the juice and Old Cheddar both of which are high in salt.
Generally speaking the human palate is comfortable with 18-22 grams of salt per kg of meat. If I used 22 grams of salt in this recipe-it would be inedible. Way too salty.
So I use 2.5g of Cure # 1 and only 8 grams of salt to allow for the sodium from the cheese and pickled peppers.
It works for me.

If I tried this with Tender Quick- I would have to reduce the Tender Quick by 50% which in turn would automatically reduce the cure that is premixed in the Tender Quick by 50% and I would be second guessing the food safety.

I am not telling anyone NOT to use Tender Quick -it makes perfect results if using certain recipes. I just prefer not to use it because of the type of custom results that demand more accuracy.

HalfBreed
02-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Did I ever say I love this forum?

CeeZee
02-03-2015, 10:57 AM
I have been searching for a few hours now and still have questions, so glad to see a fresh thread here. I am going to make some sausage, want a simple "at home" recipe" not a pre mix pack. So first off, I want to make some sausage and freeze the rings, I also want to cold smoke a few to try, then cook in the oven after smoking. So what cure do I ask for or look for? TIA

Au revoir, Gopher
02-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks. You have confirmed my understanding... gives me a bit more confidence.

I bought it in Sept from Halford's...

This was my thinking and why I was worried about that package of Prague Powder #2. I have sent Halford's and email asking for clarification, but the fact that the info isn't on the label makes me nervous.

I have Tender Quick because I had a recipe that called for it. Works well in that situation... not so good as a general purpose cure.

I think I'm OK for cure #1, I have something labeled "F.S. Cure" and the label says 5.00% Sodium Nitrite.

Your Lomo Embuchado thread is what got me thinking about this... since I have a pork loin sitting in the fridge :) But then I remembered my reservations about my package of Prague Powder #2.

ARG

omega50
02-04-2015, 05:24 PM
I think I'm OK for cure #1, I have something labeled "F.S. Cure" and the label says 5.00% Sodium Nitrite.

ARG

F.S Cure is fine for your Cure #1 requirements.

What muddies the waters a bit is the different %'s of nitrite in various manufacturers products.
Basically you would need more F.S Cure #1 than a cure calculated on a higher % of nitrite.

The math aside because it can be crazy making.
Just follow the specific manufacturers dosing schedule and you will be golden.

boomer
02-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Hey Guys cure #1 the proper amount is one teaspoon per 5 pounds of meat

Boomer

omega50
02-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Hey Guys cure #1 the proper amount is one teaspoon per 5 pounds of meat

Boomer

Low dose human death has occurred at 71mg nitrite/kg body weight:sHa_shakeshout:

I know that I am extra careful, that is why I even go so far as to weigh my powder charges when I reload my rifle cartridges instead of just going by teaspoon or tablespoon

Au revoir, Gopher
02-04-2015, 08:58 PM
F.S Cure is fine for your Cure #1 requirements.

What muddies the waters a bit is the different %'s of nitrite in various manufacturers products.
Basically you would need more F.S Cure #1 than a cure calculated on a higher % of nitrite.

That is why all those cutsie names drive me around the bend! Just tell me what is in the bleeping package and I will figure it out!

The math aside because it can be crazy making.
Just follow the specific manufacturers dosing schedule and you will be golden.

I don't mind the math. I did a lot of chemistry in university and absolutely loved analytical chemistry. But to do the math you need to know the concentration and if that information isn't on the label, you are up the creek.

If it's not too personal of a question, where do you get your cure?

ARG

omega50
02-04-2015, 09:49 PM
The batch of #2 cure I am currently using is called-wait for it-wait for it
Nitracure #2 lol

The #1 cure version is called
Nitricure

I got it from DnR in the NE just before xmas

Be alert as I am starting to see European Cures show up on the market and although self limiting you might be unpleasantly surprised:angry3:

Skybuster
02-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Omega50 can set me straight as I keep forgetting which to use when. I have notes to follow when I make the sausage but....

Prague Powder #1 and Prague powder #2, are synonymous with Cure #1 and Cure #2. Each is used depending on how you are curing the meat.

There are basically two methods for making sausage, dry sausage, that is not cooked again before eating, like kielbasa, or farmer sausage. and cooking sausage usually only cooked just prior to eating, like bangers or bratwurst.

Dry sausage is typically smoked and then heated to a temperature of 160 deg F. It can then be frozen but is usually not cooked again before eating. It can actually be dangerous to cook it on a high heat before eating due to the Nitrates used in curing. Prague Powder #2 AKA Cure #2 is used for dry sausage. It has 1 oz (6.25%) sodium nitrite, .64 oz (4%) sodium nitrate, the remainder Sodium Chloride. The nitrates are slowly converted into nitrites causing the "cure" to be present much longer in the meat.
Prague powder #2 should never be used on any product that will be fried at high temperature (eg. bacon) because of the resulting formation of nitrosamines.

Cooking sausage may be smoked or not but is usually not cooked before freezing. It is however cooked when ready to eat. Prague Powder #1 is used for this type. Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride and is used for the preparation of all cured meats and sausages other than the dry type.

When using cure, it is very important to never exceed the recommended amount of 4 ounces of Prague powder #1 or #2 in 100 pounds of meat (2.5 g/kg). Equivalently this is 2 teaspoons for 10 pounds.
Sodium and potassium nitrite are quite toxic to humans with the lethal dose being about 4 grams. As little as 22 mg/kg of body weight can cause death. This is about 2.2 grams for a body mass of 100 kg. Thus, there is enough sodium nitrite in 2 ounces of Prague powder #1 to kill a person.

Please make sure you fully understand these cures before launching.

omega50
02-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Omega50 can set me straight as I keep forgetting which to use when. I have notes to follow when I make the sausage but....

Prague Powder #1 and Prague powder #2, are synonymous with Cure #1 and Cure #2. Each is used depending on how you are curing the meat.

There are basically two methods for making sausage, dry sausage, that is not cooked again before eating, like kielbasa, or farmer sausage. and cooking sausage usually only cooked just prior to eating, like bangers or bratwurst.

Dry sausage is typically smoked and then heated to a temperature of 160 deg F. It can then be frozen but is usually not cooked again before eating. It can actually be dangerous to cook it on a high heat before eating due to the Nitrates used in curing. Prague Powder #2 AKA Cure #2 is used for dry sausage. It has 1 oz (6.25%) sodium nitrite, .64 oz (4%) sodium nitrate, the remainder Sodium Chloride. The nitrates are slowly converted into nitrites causing the "cure" to be present much longer in the meat.
Prague powder #2 should never be used on any product that will be fried at high temperature (eg. bacon) because of the resulting formation of nitrosamines.

Cooking sausage may be smoked or not but is usually not cooked before freezing. It is however cooked when ready to eat. Prague Powder #1 is used for this type. Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride and is used for the preparation of all cured meats and sausages other than the dry type.

When using cure, it is very important to never exceed the recommended amount of 4 ounces of Prague powder #1 or #2 in 100 pounds of meat (2.5 g/kg). Equivalently this is 2 teaspoons for 10 pounds.
Sodium and potassium nitrite are quite toxic to humans with the lethal dose being about 4 grams. As little as 22 mg/kg of body weight can cause death. This is about 2.2 grams for a body mass of 100 kg. Thus, there is enough sodium nitrite in 2 ounces of Prague powder #1 to kill a person.

It is late and I am getting tired and do not want to offend, but find multiple inaccuracies in the above.
But let us agree that Nitrite and Nitrate cures are poisonous and need to be used per the dosing recommendations.
Canadian regs call for input levels not to exceed 200ppm for sausage
120ppm for bacon
Dry cure product allowances can often be legal at 4 x that input dosing.

I am exceedingly comfortable at the levels I dose at, and I insure my family will not be placed at unnecessary risk.

Skybuster
02-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Hey Omega, no offense taken. What I have posted is what I found through research. If I have something wrong there, please let me know. I am in complete agreement with you in the dangers. That is why I researched the use of cures. So if I have something wrong I would appreciate knowing what it is.
Thanks.

omega50
02-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Hey Omega, no offense taken. What I have posted is what I found through research. If I have something wrong there, please let me know. I am in complete agreement with you in the dangers. That is why I researched the use of cures. So if I have something wrong I would appreciate knowing what it is.
Thanks.

Absolutely no worries. I was pre-occupied with a family matter but did not intend to be rude.

Dry sausage should never be heated. It is a raw product and the nitrates need time- sometimes 4 weeks or more to convert to nitrite
Heating a sausage to 160F could lock unconverted nitrate into the sausage.
NOT GOOD:(
Not sure where the term cooking sausage come from, but generally divided into fresh and cured sausages.
Fresh sausage are not smoked in a traditional smoker- anaerobic environment, but may have liquid smoke added. These are sold fresh or frozen and must be cooked before consumption. They contain no cure.

Cured sausage contain Cure #1 may be smoked or not. It is very often cooked before freezing brought to at least 152F- At this point it may be sliced and eaten or become an ingredient in a salad.
Or if you prefer-it can be cooked further although not necessary for food safety.

Lastly the math confused me.
Lethal dose at 4 grams yet only 2.2 grams kill a 100kg fat boy:sHa_shakeshout:

Some thoughts not specifically related to your post.

Cure levels are subjective and reduce with time.
A properly cured sausage initially dosed with 2.5 grams of Prague powder #1 would meet the Canadian standard of max 200 ppm but if they tested at the retail level may present at only 10ppm.
Minimum at intake in Canada is 100ppm.
Anything below 50ppm would not even lock in the myoglobin

Lastly NEVER eat meat dosed with Cure #2 unless multiple weeks or months have passed. Especially dangerous if kept refrigerated( Say Whaaat?) because the bacteria necessary to convert nitrate to nitrite are almost in hibernation at fridge temps

Au revoir, Gopher
02-06-2015, 03:48 PM
The batch of #2 cure I am currently using is called-wait for it-wait for it
Nitracure #2 lol

The #1 cure version is called
Nitricure

If I didn't know better, I would think you were making that up just to wind me up. :)

I got it from DnR in the NE just before xmas

And now they are out... :sign0161:

Be alert as I am starting to see European Cures show up on the market and although self limiting you might be unpleasantly surprised:angry3:

You have something against salt peter in your food? :medium-smiley-035:

It has 1 oz (6.25%) sodium nitrite, .64 oz (4%) sodium nitrate, the remainder Sodium Chloride.

When I was searching the net, one of the issues I had was I would come across numbers like this. The problem was, in some cases the information was either incomplete or wrong. An example was the incorrect math I saw at one site. They stated that cure #1 was 1 part sodium nitrite and 16 parts salt and that gave a concentration of 6.25% sodium nitrite. The problem is there is a difference between "1 part in 16" and "1 part and 16 parts"; the latter gives a total amount of cure of 17 parts, so 1 in 17 is 5.88%. Which brings me back to "put the information on the label". I will trust that the manufacturer knows how to calculate this properly.

ARG

omega50
02-06-2015, 04:13 PM
ARG
The issue that I have with European cures is that in order to prevent nitrite poisoning they contain a much lower % bound in the salt.
Typically .6%
DnR now stocks a salt at .8% nitrite

http://www.dnrsausagesupplies.ca/product_info.php/curing-salt-sodium-nitrite-1kg-bag-cures-and-ingredients-p-466

The reason being that it would be exceedingly difficult to endanger yourself by overdosing because it would taste far too salty to eat before you could reach dangerous nitrite levels.

My offer of some #2 cure still stands and if you wanted to test drive the 11lb stuffer that would work as well.

Au revoir, Gopher
02-07-2015, 01:16 PM
ARG
The issue that I have with European cures is that in order to prevent nitrite poisoning they contain a much lower % bound in the salt.
Typically .6%
DnR now stocks a salt at .8% nitrite

OK, I thought they were still using potassium nitrate as they main cure.

My offer of some #2 cure still stands and if you wanted to test drive the 11lb stuffer that would work as well.

Most kind. I think I shall take you up on that... who knew that trying to find sausage making ingredients would be as much fun as finding reloading components. :)

ARG

Skybuster
02-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Absolutely no worries. I was pre-occupied with a family matter but did not intend to be rude.

Dry sausage should never be heated. It is a raw product and the nitrates need time- sometimes 4 weeks or more to convert to nitrite
Heating a sausage to 160F could lock unconverted nitrate into the sausage.
NOT GOOD:(
Not sure where the term cooking sausage come from, but generally divided into fresh and cured sausages.
Fresh sausage are not smoked in a traditional smoker- anaerobic environment, but may have liquid smoke added. These are sold fresh or frozen and must be cooked before consumption. They contain no cure.

Cured sausage contain Cure #1 may be smoked or not. It is very often cooked before freezing brought to at least 152F- At this point it may be sliced and eaten or become an ingredient in a salad.
Or if you prefer-it can be cooked further although not necessary for food safety.

Lastly the math confused me.
Lethal dose at 4 grams yet only 2.2 grams kill a 100kg fat boy:sHa_shakeshout:

Some thoughts not specifically related to your post.

Cure levels are subjective and reduce with time.
A properly cured sausage initially dosed with 2.5 grams of Prague powder #1 would meet the Canadian standard of max 200 ppm but if they tested at the retail level may present at only 10ppm.
Minimum at intake in Canada is 100ppm.
Anything below 50ppm would not even lock in the myoglobin

Lastly NEVER eat meat dosed with Cure #2 unless multiple weeks or months have passed. Especially dangerous if kept refrigerated( Say Whaaat?) because the bacteria necessary to convert nitrate to nitrite are almost in hibernation at fridge temps

My apologies, I knew I should consult my notes before spouting off. You are absolutely correct, we don’t use ANY cure in what I referred to as Cooking sausage, or more appropriately you referred to as fresh sausage. We only use #1 for the Cured sausage. And we don't make any dry sausage.

Anyone who read my earlier post, flush your brain and read Omega's. My apologies.

As for the math, I went over it and over it and I can’t make sense of it either. I will have to see if I can find the article again. I have a hunch I sourced from a couple of articles and they may have had different amounts. Do you know the correct quantity for what a lethal dose is?

And I don’t understand you last bit regarding the PPM. I understand that cure levels reduce over time, Are you saying that a properly cured sausage, by the time it reaches the store shelves would only have 10 ppm?
What is meant by intake?

omega50
02-07-2015, 02:21 PM
My apologies, I knew I should consult my notes before spouting off. You are absolutely correct, we don’t use ANY cure in what I referred to as Cooking sausage, or more appropriately you referred to as fresh sausage. We only use #1 for the Cured sausage. And we don't make any dry sausage.

Anyone who read my earlier post, flush your brain and read Omega's. My apologies.

As for the math, I went over it and over it and I can’t make sense of it either. I will have to see if I can find the article again. I have a hunch I sourced from a couple of articles and they may have had different amounts. Do you know the correct quantity for what a lethal dose is?

And I don’t understand you last bit regarding the PPM. I understand that cure levels reduce over time, Are you saying that a properly cured sausage, by the time it reaches the store shelves would only have 10 ppm?
What is meant by intake?
A properly cured sausage COULD have as little as 10 parts per million of residual nitrite at the retail level.
There are factors that could contribute to a higher or lower residual amount-time, temperature-lean to fat ratios etc.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency cannot control the levels that leave your premises unless they give a guideline about the maximum levels you can use when incorporating cure into your raw product(200 ppm for sausage). This is the intake level.

Basically saying that even if you ate all of that meat product after adding 200 ppm cure-you would not experience ill effects. They know it will diminish with time after that -but they are secure in the knowledge that you will control botulism and not kill anyone unintentionally at those levels.