PDA

View Full Version : Camping at Minnewanka/Ghost Lakes (LM31)

jwelds191
02-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Hello all,

hope the hard water is treating you all well.

I'm planning a couple trips into the parks this summer... Maligne for a couple weekends again, and I'll be at Minnewanka most weekends anyways.

I was thinking of loading up my boat with my gear and heading on down to the farthest backcountry site on the lake... "LM 31", and beaching my boat for the night to stay at the campground just before Ghost Lakes/Devils Gap.

Does anyone have any experience hiking, boating or canoeing to the campsites on Minnewanka to make a weekend trip out of it? And any hints, tips or considerations I should be aware of? I've been on Minne plenty and I know how quickly the waves pick up...been pounded in 3-4 footers regularly. Can be pretty dicey... but I digress.

Would love some tips on backcountry camping on Minne...and the fishing at Ghost Lakes! (species besides lakers, topography, any shoals, etc!) Are bears a usual encounter down that far?

Petey
02-03-2015, 07:04 AM
We used to do this when I was a kid a couple times a summer, I think we probably stayed at LM22, maybe LM20. From what I remember it's your typical backcountry camping spot, barely marked from the lake with some open areas in the trees.

Bears, yep. Not sure I would call them a usual encounter, but their around for sure.

Never hit the Ghost lakes before.

EZM
02-03-2015, 10:46 AM
We camped that lake every weekend years ago, doing exactly as you described.

Bears, mooring your boat properly so it doesn't get pounded and firewood all the three things to think about.

Other than that .... backwoods camping

thumper
02-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Bears are definitely a concern all along that side of Minnewanka, particularly in late July, August & Sept when the berries are out. You're probably already aware of the seasonal hiking restriction in place for that entire side of the lake - only 'tight groups of 4 or more'. Bring your bear spray.