PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Gas

fishpro
12-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Quick question here I'm wondering if someone could help me out with. Last season I mixed up so oil/gas for my auger, and ended up only using a small amount of it. Is it alright to use it this season? I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't use gas from the previous season. Is this true? Thanks

Piker
12-20-2008, 01:49 PM
oil lasts forever in a sealed container

MountainTi
12-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Depends on the 2 stroke oil you used. Stihl contains a fuel stabilizer, but others may not. Not worth using old fuel if questionable, can gum up the carb pretty bad.

Off in the Bushes
12-20-2008, 03:50 PM
I mixed a new batch for this season in Sept thinking that it would stay fresh I mixed it correctly and added fuel stabilizer to it. I poured the old gas out of the auger and filled with new in Sept. Went ice fishing on Thursday and the auger had a hell of a time starting and staying running and keeping the powered up, it would just bog down and stall the auger etc. I poured out the old gas made a new batch with the oil from Jiffy and it starts like a charm, 3 pull even in -25C.
The old gas I am going to burn in the car when it warms up outside.

deanmc
12-20-2008, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't use it. I had this problem all the time until I started using opti-lube in everything that needs premix. This way I only use one jug. BTW the inspiration for this was my jiffy 30. ran poorly until I started to use this oil. Night and day difference.

spurly
12-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Aproduct called Seafoam gas treatment, can be purchased at most Napa dealers, is very good to add to your fuel mixture.It only requires about an ounce per Litre , it stabilizes and cleans your carb. excellent stuff

honda450
12-20-2008, 05:15 PM
X2 on Opti. Use it in all my saws exclusively.

Reeves1
12-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Funny how some people use the Opti and love it !

Seized a couple motors using that stuff.....couldn't pay me to use it now.

honda450
12-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Gotta use the right mixture Reeves. Used it for years no seized motors.

Reeves1
12-20-2008, 05:43 PM
The old gas I am going to burn in the car when it warms up outside.

I wouldn't put it in a fuel injection vehicle.

Carb is OK.

450....it was the right mixture.
Disclaimer: However, the engines may have had other "issues" ?

(been mixing for more years than I care to count :cry: :lol: )

Piker
12-20-2008, 07:29 PM
I misunderstood i thought you meant using old oil. I use synthetic oil for mixing and it eliminated most problems. I still throw out all old gas. Had to row 5 miles years ago.

deanmc
12-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Funny how some people use the Opti and love it !

Seized a couple motors using that stuff.....couldn't pay me to use it now.

I haven't used it long enough to say it wont sieze anything.:scared:
I have been told that it will settle out of the gas. Needs to be shaken before use. Could that be what happened?

Baitcaster
12-20-2008, 11:36 PM
All of my fuel not used from the previous year goes into my truck on a trip I know will use it up that day or so. Better yet I dump it in at the end of it's useful season. I have a fuel injected 460 so the fuel goes through the truck pretty quick. It's also the octane loss that happen quite quickly thats poor for your small engines.

jeprli
12-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Motul 2 stroke(castor nut oil) is by far the best premix oil you can afford for your 2-strokers. However it is about $25 for 1l bottle. Used it on go karts for years, ran it at 14,000-16,000 rpm for hours and not a single problem. It helps with start up compression, half turn of the crank and mine would start, plus it does not gunk up your carburetor, just leaves a nice smooth finish on metal parts. Another thing that will help you with start up is hotter spark plugs, usually one or two numbers higher then what is in the equipment. You would be surprised to see how much difference a hotter plug makes on colder days, especially at start up.

Good luck!

P.S. Seafoam cleaners are awesome.

Cooeylover
12-25-2008, 08:55 PM
IMHO what i have always done was if it called for a 40-1 mix i always went 32-1. Nothing wrong with mixing it a "bit" rich in any of my chainsaws, not sure 'bout and ice augers, havent had one yet. If ya mix it rich the only problem is that it may smoke jsut a touch, atleast you know its getting good lube around those little main bearings, and that also always kept the flys away, lol. :evilgrin:
Never had any issues with any of my chainsaws.
Just a tip.:)

222rem
12-26-2008, 08:50 AM
oil lasts forever in a sealed container

Oil company recommends to use-up oil with in two years.