PDA

View Full Version : WOW sad day.

Djm2u
02-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Well went to work today and got told the whole location I work at is being shut down. Then off to receive severance packages. DID not see that coming darn bad oil prices. Been there over 6 years Im lucky as they will be keeping me on for a bit and I get a severance package. But a lot of my co-workers were not so lucky today :(.

Time to dust off the Resume. Anyone need an IT guy???

doetracks
02-03-2015, 03:08 PM
That really sucks. At least you're getting some sort of severance.

My colleagues at a charter company based in Calgary have started layoffs as well. 20 staff, 6 of those pilots (or so the rumor is).

Aviation usually doesn't come with severance, so they are on the crappy end of the stick.

thirty-30
02-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Graycon?

transplant
02-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Wow ! Sorry man… I hope you get through this okay. My heart goes out to, and my prayers go up for, all who are adversely affected by this oil downturn.

HalfBreed
02-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Guess there will be more of this going on. Not sure what type of IT you do, but I've seen a lot of stuff at Telus if you don't mind union.

Best of luck.

edmhunter
02-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Sorry to hear that man! Best of luck finding employment or starting your own endeavour!

Djm2u
02-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Thanks all but I will be fine. I feel worse for my co-workers. My skills always are in demand.

But this forum rocks just when I was feeling a bit down you all are there. The best part I just got some Hogdon H110 powder thanks to another member on here posting where he got some.

Thanks Budget shooters supply, info courtesy of Davey Boy who got the info from Cheeseburger. They still have another 8 pounds of h110. I wasn't greedy just got 2 LOL.

I_forget
02-03-2015, 03:52 PM
How can you not get severance? I thought that was in the labor laws.

Sooner
02-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Good luck, hope the job search is short when you start looking.

Pudelpointer
02-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Thanks all but I will be fine. I feel worse for my co-workers. My skills always are in demand.

But this forum rocks just when I was feeling a bit down you all are there. The best part I just got some Hogdon H110 powder thanks to another member on here posting where he got some.

Thanks Budget shooters supply, info courtesy of Davey Boy who got the info from Cheeseburger. They still have another 8 pounds of h110. I wasn't greedy just got 2 LOL.

Lol.... lost my job today, but on the bright side; got 2 pounds of powder!!!

I get the sense you're a "glass half full" kind of guy. Good luck on the job hunt.

Bushrat
02-03-2015, 04:01 PM
How can you not get severance? I thought that was in the labor laws.

If your laid off due to shortage of work there is no severance.

Djm2u
02-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Lol.... lost my job today, but on the bright side; got 2 pounds of powder!!!

I get the sense you're a "glass half full" kind of guy. Good luck on the job hunt.

Ya there is no sense freaking out. If there is one thing I have learned is to not sweat what you can't change. Just get up dust off and find the next opportunity. For all I know the next job I get could be way better. Either way I have my health family and a roof over my head I can't complain.

rugatika
02-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Well you've got a great attitude anyway. Hopefully everyone involved lands on their feet and carries on.

Like a friend used to say..."I was looking for a job when I got this one."

bat119
02-03-2015, 04:26 PM
I received the package last week wanted to get 3 more years in before retiring oh well Arizona nice this time year.

D4l3k
02-03-2015, 04:41 PM
sorry to hear that, hopefully everything works out for you

no layoffs here today, but got the 'reduce your rates by 25-30 percent immediately or else' letter from some oil clients in our inbox today

LG2000
02-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Sorry to hear this. Better days will come but be prepared for a period of slow oil activities in AB. Other non OŁG sectors will see impact as well.

Talking moose
02-03-2015, 04:52 PM
You have a really good attitude. Hopefully it wears off in your coworkers.

Hunter1602
02-03-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm terribly sorry to hear that. Keep up that positive aditude.

JohninAB
02-03-2015, 05:15 PM
Sorry to hear of your layoff but must say admire your attitude. Best of luck in your job search.

edmhunter
02-03-2015, 05:15 PM
A sense of humor is always best, in every circumstance. My joke was to give the OP and chuckle, hope it worked! :)

omega50
02-03-2015, 05:24 PM
I gather from the timbre of your post that you will be gaining than rather losing once the dust settles.
So no sympathy-just good wishes sent your way and one really bad joke.

What happened when the beans showed up late for work again?
They got canned:)

edmhunter
02-03-2015, 05:29 PM
:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Twisted Canuck
02-03-2015, 05:34 PM
I'm sure the OP will do fine with that positive attitude he has. I came back to Alberta in 2001, after travelling and working in several provinces and States for about nine years, and have prospered through good and bad. My adage is: The harder I work, the luckier I seem to be.

Positive attitude, good work ethic, plus skill, equals prosperity. That's my philosophy. Best of 'luck' to you. TC

dodger
02-03-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm sure the OP will do fine with that positive attitude he has. I came back to Alberta in 2001, after travelling and working in several provinces and States for about nine years, and have prospered through good and bad. My adage is: The harder I work, the luckier I seem to be.

Positive attitude, good work ethic, plus skill, equals prosperity. That's my philosophy. Best of 'luck' to you. TC

This says it all.
Dodger.

Djm2u
02-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. And the jokes.

But lets not forget the best part of my day I got 2 pounds of H110 powder:sHa_shakeshout:

If I can find pistol powder getting a new job should be easy :sHa_sarcasticlol:

CheeseBurger
02-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. And the jokes.

But lets not forget the best part of my day I got 2 pounds of H110 powder:sHa_shakeshout:

If I can find pistol powder getting a new job should be easy :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Glad I could be of help, especially on a day like today. :)

Adwittoutdoors
02-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Would it be the same company ( Enerflex ) that closed down its operations in Nisku today and they are moving the vessel shop to Calgary by chance ? There is a lot of people unemployed today. :-( Sorry for you losing your job. By the way can you guess who I used to work for up until today ? Words to live by : NEVER GIVE UP AND ALWAYS KEEP THE FAITH :-)

dalmore62single
02-04-2015, 07:03 AM
That really sucks. At least you're getting some sort of severance.

My colleagues at a charter company based in Calgary have started layoffs as well. 20 staff, 6 of those pilots (or so the rumor is).

Aviation usually doesn't come with severance, so they are on the crappy end of the stick.

I am with north cariboo Airlines, a charter company as well. The company just laid off a bunch, some pilots, some flight attendants, and some front office I Beleive. I hope Things improve sooner rather than later, but being in aviation have been through this before

Djm2u
02-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Would it be the same company ( Enerflex ) that closed down its operations in Nisku today and they are moving the vessel shop to Calgary by chance ? There is a lot of people unemployed today. :-( Sorry for you losing your job. By the way can you guess who I used to work for up until today ? Words to live by : NEVER GIVE UP AND ALWAYS KEEP THE FAITH :-)

Yup that would be correct.

fish_e_o
02-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Time to dust off the Resume. Anyone need an IT guy???
depends what kind of stuff you can do on a computer.

if you don't mind running a saw we definitely have a spot