PDA

View Full Version : minn kota edrive electric outboard

brohymn2
12-20-2008, 04:18 PM
was looking for some feed back on the minn kota edrive electric outboard, im thinkin bout picking one up for fishing maligne lake and other such places that do not allow gas motos, i currently have a lund wc-14 dlx for a boat, just wondering how they are and how hard they are on abtteries, also if anyone has advice on another motor that might do the trick itd be much appreciated, thanks alot

-kristian

FishorDie
12-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I had one that i picked up in walmart from BC ... its not bad on the battery ... i mean it will cost you 150 bucks for the battery .. but you can get a good 3 hours use out of it .

FishorDie
12-20-2008, 09:58 PM
but thats at full throttle...

brohymn2
12-20-2008, 10:08 PM
thanks alot for the advice, much appeciated, how many deepcycle batteries did u run it off of

FishorDie
12-20-2008, 10:12 PM
just one

FishorDie
12-20-2008, 10:14 PM
if you go to canadian tire or walmart and tell them what you need it for or what your looking to do with it they *usually* will know and be able to give you some direction...

brohymn2
12-21-2008, 11:15 AM
cool thanks again

Kingfisher
12-22-2008, 01:13 AM
For Maligne I always bring myself at least 3 batteries. You don't want to be out on that lake and have to row back. The wind can come up at times and when it does it's not very forgiving. I've made the mistake once of only having one battery out there and I won't do that ever again.

Minn Kota are fantastic electrics. It all depends on how big of a motor you get and how much you use it at full throttle to how long the battery will last. Out there you need at least a 35 and probably a lot bigger if your running a 14 footer. I have a 35 on my Metzler inflateable and I will be getting at least a 50 next year so that I can get to where I'm going a lot faster.

Winter solstice was yesterday. So the days will be getting longer from here on in.

Cheers

brohymn2
12-22-2008, 01:39 PM
thanks, i had a 55 on my boat last year and it pushed it alright, but im thinking having a bigger motor will aid in battery consumption

Mudslide
12-22-2008, 04:11 PM
I have a minn kota 42lb with a maximizer (They are the ones with infinitely variable speed, and are easier on the battery use). My transom mount unit trolls my 14foot aluminum all day on one battery and last season it pushed a 16ft Lund around for most of a windy day at Crawling Valley. I would not go any lower than 42lbs for a 14ft and I would defiantly recommend the maximizer units over the cheaper units that have 5 click forward settings and 3 reverse. The 30 lbs starter units would probably do just fine for a 12ft boat or a canoe.

The Fisherman Guy
12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I swear by the Minn Kota Maximizer, My 50lber has lasted as long as three days on a single charge. I went with a quality battery, from Interstate - upon recommendation from a friend. I also run a solar panel to charge it when it is not in use. I have two deep cycle batteries, one for the trailer and one for the boat. I keep the solar panel on the trailer battery and when the boat battery dies I swap them. That way I can keep fishing and not have to worry about running out of power or relying on internal combustion (generator) to power my "green" boat.

Running two batteries gets costly and heavy, but you do get better battery efficiency per battery. Ex: If one battery lasts 10 hours of use, two should put out more than 20 hours - HYPOTHETICALLY. Conditions mush up the variables of course.