PDA

View Full Version : Stanley hip flask

HalfBreed
02-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I have a steel one to hold a wee dram, but I saw one of these in an outfitters and was wondering if any of you good folks may have one.

I find myself planning on more adventures as of late and use a lot of olive oil. In the cold the oil coagulates making it impossible to pour.

This unit opens for cleaning and I thought it might do the trick to slip a knife in to spread / add some oil on my food.

This link has the one review that is my horror, having oil all over my pack. I'm guessing it's likely large and heavy for available volume, but I'm not a gram weenie anymore as ease and comfort have moved up in priority.

I have been floating the bottle I use in my tea to soften it but think there must be a better way. The one in the link looks like the one I saw, Cheers!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80226

CaberTosser
02-04-2015, 09:25 AM
If the lid opens for cleaning and its got that rectangular cross section there's going to be flex enough to allow it to leak, especially in a pack in cold weather. I'd probably stick with something simple and durable like a Lock & Lock container in a suitable size.

1000yards
02-04-2015, 10:47 AM
I saw a fellow that had made individual pouches out of food-saver bags that had single serving bbq sauce in them. Could be used for your oil

no-regard
02-04-2015, 11:03 AM
I saw a fellow that had made individual pouches out of food-saver bags that had single serving bbq sauce in them. Could be used for your oil

That's a great idea! Going to try and remember to do that.

Selkirk
02-04-2015, 11:13 AM
. . . http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80226

I read that it's ^ made from recycled plastic (could be any kind of plastic!), and there's no mention that it's BPA-free.

I would be inclined to look elsewhere, for a better product.

Mac

HalfBreed
02-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I do have some hermetically sealed containers, that's a good idea. Foodsaver technique looks like it might be a bit messy, but that ignites my thought on scubs.
Scubs are bags you fill with water and freeze for ice, I'm going to try one and see if I can seal all the ports after filling with oil.
Always good to get the brain thinking in other directions. :thinking-006:

HalfBreed
02-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Now I need to go to Home Hardware.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Housewares/Kitchenware/Molds/Ice-Jelly/BAGS-ICE-CUBE-PLASTIC-10PK/_/N-ntkot/R-I4474063

Au revoir, Gopher
02-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Now I need to go to Home Hardware.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Housewares/Kitchenware/Molds/Ice-Jelly/BAGS-ICE-CUBE-PLASTIC-10PK/_/N-ntkot/R-I4474063

I use those ice cube bags to freeze soup stock. If I only need a tablespoon or so of stock, one or two soup-cubes is all I need.

ARG

rugatika
02-04-2015, 03:34 PM
How about an old small peanut butter jar?

Selkirk
02-04-2015, 04:10 PM

Don't be silly Rug! That ^ would be far too simple and effective :rolleye2:

Please keep this thread 'hi-tech' ... whether it works or not!

Mac ;)

HalfBreed
02-04-2015, 05:50 PM

Now that would make too much sense, besides, where would I put my peanut-butter?:bad_boys_20:

Maybe I should buy another small jar as I just refill my packing jar from the big giant one from Costco.

But this week-end I'm going with the ice cube bag to try out, and eat all my peanut butter. :)

I did have an old cheese jar I used to use, but it gave up the ghost.

Grizzly Adams
02-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Two kinds at Princess Auto. Plastic and metal. I bought the metal for 10. more cause it seemed a better idea, the plastic was a two piece thing. Nice big fill spout as well. Lifetime warranty. Better than worrying about the lead solder in the Chinese stainless models. :lol:

Grizz

Tactical Lever
02-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Go to Peavey Mart and get a (probably have to get 6) 125 ml (or is it 250)canning jar. Or maybe a mickey bottle from some Schnapps seals up pretty well. I am using one to carry a little methanol. The plastic on plastic seams like a better seal than the glass ones.

Kanonfodder
02-05-2015, 11:00 PM
From what I understand bpa is all hooey , you know the liner in tin cans and soda cans...they got bpa in it ...it was a marketing ploy in the USA to drive a competitor out of business...,now this is the story I got from a plastics manufacturer so I tend to believe it....

HalfBreed
02-06-2015, 03:24 AM
From what I understand bpa is all hooey , you know the liner in tin cans and soda cans...they got bpa in it ...it was a marketing ploy in the USA to drive a competitor out of business...,now this is the story I got from a plastics manufacturer so I tend to believe it....

Agreed, people worry about a plastic bottle while shoveling $20 of McDonald's down their necks every few days.

Time to get on with living, ya can't beat time, nor the train.

Au revoir, Gopher
02-06-2015, 07:59 AM

Don't know about the "marketing ploy" but there was no evidence that any of the replacements were any safer.

Agreed, people worry about a plastic bottle while shoveling $20 of McDonald's down their necks every few days.

So you believe it is better to fall off the 40th floor rather than the 80th?

I'm not worried about the effects of plastic on me personally, I'm far too old for that to matter much now. I am worried about my grand-kids and the environment in general. Do a bit of reading on artificial estrogen in plastics.

ARG

HalfBreed
02-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Don't know about the "marketing ploy" but there was no evidence that any of the replacements were any safer.

So you believe it is better to fall off the 40th floor rather than the 80th?

I'm not worried about the effects of plastic on me personally, I'm far too old for that to matter much now. I am worried about my grand-kids and the environment in general. Do a bit of reading on artificial estrogen in plastics.

ARG

Getting a bit off topic, but as much could be said for aluminum. From some reading, one could surmise that everyone over the age of 60 should have Alzheimers unless they never used aluminum.
As far as plastic goes, if it's the only containment vessel used for everything in life, then therein lies the problem.
I'm more scared of people that don't vaccinate than what my peanut butter is packaged in. Should one be worried because they don't have to stir their peanut butter anymore?
Sure a lot to worry about out there... :scared0018: