PDA

View Full Version : Newell ice conditions?

Steelhead008
02-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Thinking of heading out this weekend, havn't been this year..wondering if anyone can give me an update on conditions or advice on driving onto the ice from the provincial park? Thanks in advance!

rena0040
02-06-2015, 12:42 PM
I was out for the first time ever on tuesday. Went out from the boat launch on the point. Drilled test holes all the way to the permanant huts by the island and was consistantly 22 inches. I then went back and got the truck.

Frozenflyguy
02-06-2015, 01:39 PM
I was out last weekend and ice conditions were perfect for driving on (at least where I traveled). Ice thickness were as reported above. Be aware of a pressure crack that extends northwards towards the island west of the launch and another crack that creeps eastward, north of the island. stick somewhat close to the north side of the island and head eastward to bypass this crack and then you are free to roam northward if you choose. Keep in mind that was last weekend though I doubt crack conditions have changed much since then. I can't speak for conditions much beyond the permanent huts and the island.

Good luck and be safe

Dave

jgib01
02-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Pardon my threadjack here, but just wondering how our Southern lakes and ice conditions respond to the massive temperature swings we have been experiencing. Over the span of 4 hours this morning, the temp went up 20 degrees in Lethbridge. We are planning an outing tomorrow on a different SW AB lake. Realize that it will probably take several weeks of these temps to significantly weaken the ice, but is there anything we should be aware of? (walking on vs driving on the ice)

AlbertaCutthroat
02-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Pardon my threadjack here, but just wondering how our Southern lakes and ice conditions respond to the massive temperature swings we have been experiencing. Over the span of 4 hours this morning, the temp went up 20 degrees in Lethbridge. We are planning an outing tomorrow on a different SW AB lake. Realize that it will probably take several weeks of these temps to significantly weaken the ice, but is there anything we should be aware of? (walking on vs driving on the ice)

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=244279

Here are some other reports from just before the slight coldsnap we had. Hope people use their heads before driving around too much, forecast doesn't look promising ice wise either. Don't assume normal ice conditions down here, it's a very odd year in the southwest.

mickeyjim
02-06-2015, 09:21 PM
I recently put my truck through the ice. Drilled test holes and ice was solid in those spots. Drove on and my front drivers tire went through the ice. Ice was 2 inches thick ten feet away from my test hole! Luckily I was able to get towed out without much damage to my truck. Big thanks to the CO who towed me out!

Steelhead008
02-06-2015, 10:51 PM
I recently put my truck through the ice. Drilled test holes and ice was solid in those spots. Drove on and my front drivers tire went through the ice. Ice was 2 inches thick ten feet away from my test hole! Luckily I was able to get towed out without much damage to my truck. Big thanks to the CO who towed me out!

Was this on newell ?

THEREAPER
02-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Here's the scoop on newell ice! I fish it 2-3 times per week. Lots of ice but when it warmed up i noticed a lot of open water, actually went through one with my argo. Rule of thumb is just because there is 24 inches of ice in one spot dosnt mean the whole lake is 24" thick. Stay safe if your unsure drill some holes as you go, or walk. Cheers and good luck out there!

jgib01
02-07-2015, 07:13 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=244279

Here are some other reports from just before the slight coldsnap we had. Hope people use their heads before driving around too much, forecast doesn't look promising ice wise either. Don't assume normal ice conditions down here, it's a very odd year in the southwest.

Guess I should be paying more attention to this forum, and a little less to the fly forum. Thanks for that link. We will proceed with great caution. Total temp swing yesterday according to my house thermometre was 26 degrees!

mickeyjim
02-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Was this on newell ?

Was on Forty Mile

Habfan
02-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Was on Forty Mile

A lot of temp differences between those 2 lakes ! Newell doesn't get near the chinook temps as more southern waters. Take now for example, it's 10 in lethbridge and - 12 in Brooks. This is quite normal !

Wes_G
02-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Ice was 18" where I was south of Lethbridge 2 weeks ago, today it was around 12" in the same spot and getting quite thin around shore.

PlayDoh
02-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Here's the scoop on newell ice! I fish it 2-3 times per week. Lots of ice but when it warmed up i noticed a lot of open water, actually went through one with my argo. Rule of thumb is just because there is 24 inches of ice in one spot dosnt mean the whole lake is 24" thick. Stay safe if your unsure drill some holes as you go, or walk. Cheers and good luck out there!

I'm finding it hard to believe there is 'open water' on Newell. Just because there is visible water doesn't mean its 'open water'. There is often water on top of ice, especially around heaves.

I'm not calling you a liar, but its been way too cold for open water. I've been on CVR all winter and its no less than 16"-18" anywhere on the lake. Regardless of how warm it gets during the day, if it gets below freezing at night the ice isn't goin away. Its possible you were near shore and over a spring, but no way there is open water in some spot in the middle of the lake, IMO.

On a side note, me and a friend were walking accross Athabasca river in Ft. Mac once, when we both broke though a pocket. This was middle of winter and the ice was 5' thick at least, but we droped around a foot before hitting the ice again. I'm sure it took us both half a min before our hearts started beating again, lol.

WayneChristie
02-09-2015, 05:18 AM
I'm finding it hard to believe there is 'open water' on Newell. Just because there is visible water doesn't mean its 'open water'. There is often water on top of ice, especially around heaves.

I'm not calling you a liar, but its been way too cold for open water. I've been on CVR all winter and its no less than 16"-18" anywhere on the lake. Regardless of how warm it gets during the day, if it gets below freezing at night the ice isn't goin away. Its possible you were near shore and over a spring, but no way there is open water in some spot in the middle of the lake, IMO.

On a side note, me and a friend were walking accross Athabasca river in Ft. Mac once, when we both broke though a pocket. This was middle of winter and the ice was 5' thick at least, but we droped around a foot before hitting the ice again. I'm sure it took us both half a min before our hearts started beating again, lol.

maybe you need to spend more time on different lakes. Ive seen areas with open water on Newell at various time through the winter, as a matter of fact saw a patch this weekend, not flood water open water, if you find this hard to believe go for a drive and find out the hard way yourself instead of bashing someone with real experience's reports.

PlayDoh
02-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Maybe you need to take a mydol and chill out? How disagreeing with someone equates "bashing" is beyond me. I clearly stated that I wasn't calling him a liar and made it clear I was only speculating he was incorrect.
Don't be so quick to get your panties in a bunch and start crying.

PlayDoh
02-09-2015, 08:19 AM
BTW you didn't explain how you knew the water you seen was open. Just "I seen water". Not very convincing. I've seen water on the ice even form waves.
Again I'm not calling either of you liars, just saying I find it very hard to believe there's open water in February when it's -10 to -20 with windchill. Especially since I've spent a lot of time on a lake 30 mins west of it.

THEREAPER
02-09-2015, 08:35 AM

Wow Liar! Great way to start the morning off reading my favourite site. Keep your bashing to yourself, or better yet private message me if you have a problem with my post. I guess you are an expert on ice safety so i will leave it at that. Have a great time fishing out there Playdoh! by the way the open water i lied about was close to the marina by a few markers. But maybe it was just water on the ice lol because you are the expert!

Cheers

PlayDoh
02-09-2015, 08:44 AM
So you can't read either? When someone says " I'm NOT calling you a liar" and " I find it hard to believe" that means I have doubts. How you get to "bashing" is remarkable.
Take a second to re-read something before you get all offended and defensive

THEREAPER
02-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Its ok playdoh i forgive you! Happy fishing!

PlayDoh
02-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Back at ya. I honestly didn't mean to suggest you were lying, and when someone who's been on the lake as much as you have says there's open water, I'll take that serious.
I just find it hard to imagine, but I'm no expert. I was told there are 6'+ heaves there which is also hard to imagine.
Again, my apologies, I should have worded it different and made it mate clear my position.

SCHOOCH
02-09-2015, 01:43 PM
The heaves i saw were bigger than any ive seen there in years, not sure if they hit the 6 ft mark but they wouldn't be all that far off.

coyote_man
02-09-2015, 02:48 PM
There was OPEN WATER with no ice on newell a while back in at least two separate spots that I saw. Most years there is OPEN water in several locations on the lake. A resident accidentally drove into open water a few years back and ended up drowning. There are also numerous soft spots,springs,whatever with thin ice that anglers drive through on a fairly regular basis. Ive seen vehicles in three to forty plus feet of water. In my experience I know of at least seven bad spots that I want to avoid.Err on the side of caution and be safe.

PlayDoh
02-10-2015, 10:38 AM
That's odd. Are these thin spots closer to shore, as in less than 100 yards? Aside from following well beaten paths, and even that is no guarantee I suppose, but you would have to jump out and drill holes every 100' feet or more.
Are these bad spots in the same spots roughly every year coyote man?
Maybe those of you who know of them could mark some spots on google earth for us? or give a quick description of locations?
I'm planning on heading out there soon, but not to anywhere that's not a regular spot. like just north of the boat launch.

There must be some serious thermal action going on under the ice, to bust out heaves like that and punch holes in the ice. Maybe Brooks demand fluctuations have an impact?

Thanks for the eye opener Reaper and Coyote.

coyote_man
02-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Cant do any google/comp stuff as old and computer dumb. Spots are same year after year and people keep getting caught in them. Hate to post spots and create false sense of security or fear. Use caution and common sense.

kevinhits
02-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Largest Ice heaves I have ever seen are on Newell..Last year, had to drive around one and it had to be at least 4 feet tall...I **** you not:)