PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda triangle of lost gear

biggyJ
02-08-2015, 11:11 AM
I have a lake I frequent in the spring and during ice season.

And to a tee, every time I go I lose something to the lake.

First, was my new waterproof camera. Slipped through my hands when I tried to take a picture of a slimy pike.

Next was my spreaders, lost when a "massive" 14" pike shook his head and sent the pliers flying. How he managed to take my fly that deep I'll never understand.

Pliers have hit the drink. And I can't even count the amount of poppers I have lost. Whoever thinks 40lb fluoro is enough is sorely mistaken.

And then yesterday....the final straw.

After fighting the 900km/hr winds in the morning and chasing down gear skidding across the ice like the bluenose, we finally started to hammer fish once the wind died around 1.

Then it happened, I thought to myself, oh I guess I'll start packing up, leave the rods until last.

I'm 20ft away, I hear a skidding sound, look up. Buddy is running to the hole, but I know already he is too late. I had just taken the chair off of the metal rod holder a minute ago, and down into the drink went the rod. Dangnabit. Literally one minute.

Had just bought the rod, caught its first fish that day.

Don't lose gear at any other lake, just this one. It is my personal Bermuda triangle.

flint guy
02-08-2015, 11:16 AM
I feel for ya. Maybe its time to take up scuba diving... Your lessons will be paid for in one dives worth of salvaged gear.

waterninja
02-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Sounds like this lake has it in for you. I'd be very leery about driving your vehicle on it or even walking on it. Hope your "tied off" at all times. lol

TROLLER
02-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Pick up a few of those green rod holders they sell at Bass. Stuff the rod handle in tight and if they do take off when you are not looking the rod will not go down the hole.

I just leave my drag on a real light setting so if my rod starts going down the hole, the rod holder stops it and the light setting keeps em from breaking off.

Best thing they only cost about 4 bucks.