PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake First Timer

waterninja
02-09-2015, 09:16 AM
NO, I'm not posting a pic. of my first lake trout.....yet.
Myself and a fellow AO member are heading out for a day trip to Cold lake this week. It will be my first time there and my partner has been there before. Neither of us have a flasher and Iv'e been advised that you can't catch a laker without one. I hope to prove that wrong. Iv'e fished with other people who use flashers and they are without doubt pretty slick, and I plan on getting one some day. It's on the list ( i have a long list ).
Meanwhile I plan on going old school. One hole will have a deadstick with a large smelt or herring near the bottom and I can't wait to hear the bell ring. In the tent I will be trying some different jigs, that I have been told work well with lakers tipped with a minnow perhaps.
Anyone who cares to offer some tips as to what works for them, don't be shy about sharing them with me. I have a couple days to gear up, and I promise to leave some fish left in the lake for you.
Don't have a clue where we will be set up, but I'll be the guy doing a one armed hand stand on top of slowly revolving auger dressed only in my speedo's.

35 whelen
02-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Without a flasher I would fish all depths from bottom to top ,drop down jig and sit on bottom for a bit ,try fishing up to top in 10foot incriments stopping there to jig a bit also try dropping to bottom and realing up to top at steady pace ,good luck. also try fishing the bottom like walleye just sitting on bottom

pikehunter1989
02-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Very good advice right there... As for the dead stick... Run a weight 2 ft or so up your line to help it get down there and than a big smelt or anchovie on a treble sitting directly on bottom.. Than either set your drag lose or leave the bail open so the fish can run with it for a few seconds And so you don't lose a rod down the hole. Once they feel the tension from your rod they tend to drop it. So fish your dead stick almost like you would a tip up. Caught lots like this a couple weeks back! A jaw jacker is awesome for fishing like this. As for jigging... 4 or 5 inch tube jigs tipped with a minnow or a chunk of smelt and follow the advice already given! Good luck and hope you join the addiction... I can't get enough of fishing for the lakers!

58thecat
02-09-2015, 02:16 PM
You will need to drill a hole too:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Good advice given, follow it, take a picture or two.

The Reel Deal
02-09-2015, 02:39 PM
you'll be gut hooking lots of lakers on your tip up. I wouldn't be using one unless you can get too it in a hurry. Jaw jacker is your best bet. I'm sure a 15# pound laker spooling a tip up would be pretty interesting though...

-JR-
02-09-2015, 05:42 PM
Waterninja rig up that boat sonar you showed me the other day.
Thats all you need .
They were really bottom feeding a few weeks back..with your dead stick leave the hook /bait right in the sand.. ..

ROA
02-09-2015, 08:30 PM
You don't need a flasher, I got 10 this weekend with out one.

waterninja
02-09-2015, 09:03 PM
you'll be gut hooking lots of lakers on your tip up. I wouldn't be using one unless you can get too it in a hurry. Jaw jacker is your best bet. I'm sure a 15# pound laker spooling a tip up would be pretty interesting though...
Not really sure what you mean by "gut hooking" lakers with a deadstick. I deadstick for every other species of fish and have never run into that problem.
By "deadstick" I am refering to simply having a rod with a bell on it, and having a baited hook on or near the bottom. Fish bites, bell rings, I run like hell hopeing it's that 15 lbs. (or his daddy) that you were talking about.

Kim473
02-10-2015, 05:44 AM
You can use my flasher if you want Ninja.

waterninja
02-10-2015, 07:48 AM
You can use my flasher if you want Ninja.
Thats a very generous offer Kim. Tempted to take you up on that. Allways enjoyed how you can tell if something is around your hook.

wellpastcold
02-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Thats a very generous offer Kim. Tempted to take you up on that. Allways enjoyed how you can tell if something is around your hook.

Don't borrow that flasher!!!!!! Not unless you are going to buy your own soon after. I can't imagine fishing without one now. Once you use it you will be ruined for fishing blind.

Jamie Black R/T
02-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Don't borrow that flasher!!!!!! Not unless you are going to buy your own soon after. I can't imagine fishing without one now. Once you use it you will be ruined for fishing blind.

x2

i cant even imagine making the drive to cold lake without one....might as well leave your rod at home :)