PDA

View Full Version : Any salmon fishing quality bait in alberta?

bardfromedson
02-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Going to be heading out to the charlottes again this summer. The way the ferry times run and leaving after work makes it next to impossible to get herring and chovies until we get to the charlottes. I don't mind supporting the economy out there but it's pricy and you run the risk if having bad bait. Anyone know of a good place in edmonton that gets good stuff in. Anywhere u can order by the box instead of the small trays? I haven't paid much attention when at wholesale or cabelas to see if it's worth buying.

Jamie
02-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Going to be heading out to the charlottes again this summer. The way the ferry times run and leaving after work makes it next to impossible to get herring and chovies until we get to the charlottes. I don't mind supporting the economy out there but it's pricy and you run the risk if having bad bait. Anyone know of a good place in edmonton that gets good stuff in. Anywhere u can order by the box instead of the small trays? I haven't paid much attention when at wholesale or cabelas to see if it's worth buying.

Bard, call Rupert Meats. I believe they will be selling bait this year. They can have a box available for you. Talk nice and they might bring it down to the ferry dock for you.

Good luck
Jamie

EZM
02-10-2015, 01:47 PM
I think it's worth your while to swing by T&T or Superstore to see what they have.

If there is something there that might be suitable for you, I would almost guarantee it would be cheaper to buy from them.

A 2 lb bag of herring (5"-6") size, maybe 14-18 pcs., is under $6.

I use these for tip ups for pike fishing. The same herring come in a tray of 5-6 pcs for the same price at one of the fishing stores ..... this is 66% off ......

A 2lb bag of smelts was purchased for $7 ....... the same weight of smelts from the fishing store, in smaller bags, would be over $25

can't beat T&T or superstore on bait prices .... if they carry what you can use

bardfromedson
02-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Bard, call Rupert Meats. I believe they will be selling bait this year. They can have a box available for you. Talk nice and they might bring it down to the ferry dock for you.

Good luck

Jamie

Thanks for the tip Jamie. Is that who you use ? I imagine you guys have a pretty big order each season.

bardfromedson
02-10-2015, 04:31 PM
I think it's worth your while to swing by T&T or Superstore to see what they have.

If there is something there that might be suitable for you, I would almost guarantee it would be cheaper to buy from them.

I use these for tip ups for pike fishing. The same herring come in a tray of 5-6 pcs for the same price at one of the fishing stores ..... this is 66% off ......

A 2lb bag of smelts was purchased for $7 ....... the same weight of smelts from the fishing store, in smaller bags, would be over $25

I'll have to have a look at t and t next time I'm at the mall. I've looked in years past and
The herring looked more like eating quality rather than bait. Foggy eyes And some freezer burn. Pretty bad that we feed the fish better quality than ourselves not that I'm a herring fan.

Jamie
02-10-2015, 06:20 PM
I'll have to have a look at t and t next time I'm at the mall. I've looked in years past and
The herring looked more like eating quality rather than bait. Foggy eyes And some freezer burn. Pretty bad that we feed the fish better quality than ourselves not that I'm a herring fan.

Depends on price. I bulk order from the Fuel dock and they store for me as well.
Rupert meats is starting to order this summer.

If you find yourself stuck, don't hesitate to ask for help.

Jamie

bardfromedson
02-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Depends on price. I bulk order from the Fuel dock and they store for me as well.

Rupert meats is starting to order this summer.

If you find yourself stuck, don't hesitate to ask for help.

Jamie

What time does the fuel dock open? Our issue is having to be in the ferry line by 8am. If they are open earlier that might be the ticket.

Jamie
02-10-2015, 06:38 PM
If you have to be in line by 8AM, you will good to go at both places. (Fuel dock is 6 am Rupert meats is 7:00 AM)
If you need a vehicle to run around town in, get in touch and I will leave my keys at my truck. You will wait for the ferry about 100yards from where I park.

Jamie

stiknfish
02-11-2015, 07:34 AM
we go every year and buy them from The fishnhole in Calgary . We get them by the case and they give us 10% off as well.I think it comes to about 7-8$ a tray .we always drive and have never had them thaw yet as long as you pack them in a cooler.

Og Dumi
02-11-2015, 09:39 AM

Don't know why I've never thought of T & T, Thanks EZM. Going there for now on.

bardfromedson
02-11-2015, 11:02 AM
If you have to be in line by 8AM, you will good to go at both places. (Fuel dock is 6 am Rupert meats is 7:00 AM)

If you need a vehicle to run around town in, get in touch and I will leave my keys at my truck. You will wait for the ferry about 100yards from where I park.

Jamie

Wow Jamie. That's a great offer and some great info. I should be able to hit one of those two places before getting in line. Hope you guys have a great season. You hear any early predictions on runs yet? Hope it's another good one.