PDA

View Full Version : RC Boat Fishing

RC ATHLETE
02-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Hey guys, My name is Lyle and I've fished most of my life but recently and accidentally started fishing with my radio controlled boat. A friend of mine told me to come on here and share it with you guys. So here's a few of my videos. I hope they put a smile on your face and make you want to try!! It's a lot of fun :)

I've been asked about the legalities of it before so I'll mention a couple things. We follow local codes about everything. We have our cards, fish within the appointed times and places. All hooks are barbless and we don't travel out side our casting range.

Most asked question is "what if the boat gets taken under by a monster?" Well i just hope the camera is rolling! lol

And there is a bit of language... sorry

First up is the vid of how we accidentally started doing this. Fishing starts about 2:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPHap0i_iB4&index=20&list=PL40B2A60208B883C9

This is my personal fav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iATd6ohxhzw&index=12&list=PL40B2A60208B883C9

My viewers fav an thanks for watching guys!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Z3B73HIeQ&index=5&list=PL40B2A60208B883C9

polar_rmk
02-10-2015, 08:23 PM
COOL, wanna do the same.
Catching a laker with one of these toys would be an awesome job, though dont know about range of these RC.

Freddydog
02-10-2015, 08:34 PM
nice work combining two great hobbies.....was that pre-flood footage??

Forest Techer
02-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing

EZM
02-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Great entertainment ...... looks like it might be pretty fun ....

AdverseCity
02-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Hey Lyle, it's Rob here from Ted's place. Same handle as the CalgaryRC forums. Good to see you posting here, there's a couple of us here now, (Scott comes and goes from time to time). When the ice melts I'll take you somewhere you're almost guaranteed to get some bigger fish, just might have to volt up to increase your trolling speed. Big fish like to chase big lures in my experience. Cheers

RC ATHLETE
02-11-2015, 05:29 AM
COOL, wanna do the same.
Catching a laker with one of these toys would be an awesome job, though dont know about range of these RC.

They go all the way across the lake here. As long as you have a 2.4 gh radio she'll go a long ways.

RC ATHLETE
02-11-2015, 05:31 AM
nice work combining two great hobbies.....was that pre-flood footage??

There was both in there. The third lake is gone now but we still pull 2 footers out of the second one.

RC ATHLETE
02-11-2015, 05:32 AM
Hey Lyle, it's Rob here from Ted's place. Same handle as the CalgaryRC forums. Good to see you posting here, there's a couple of us here now, (Scott comes and goes from time to time). When the ice melts I'll take you somewhere you're almost guaranteed to get some bigger fish, just might have to volt up to increase your trolling speed. Big fish like to chase big lures in my experience. Cheers

Hey bud! Been a long time. That's sound scary... I'm in :sHa_shakeshout:

Bigdad013
02-11-2015, 07:21 AM
It would be pretty fun to do. But careful, if you get the wrong CO checking you out. Can't be further than 30 meters from your line.

polar_rmk
02-11-2015, 03:48 PM
I don't think it's safe to let it go more then 30m there is a range restricted by the signal strength

Fishslayer99
02-11-2015, 04:08 PM
I don't think it's safe to let it go more then 30m there is a range restricted by the signal strength

Depending on how many gigahertz it is, you could potentially go a few kilometers, technology has come a long ways!

I believe there are some remote controlled helicopters that have a range of near 5 k.

fishoook
02-22-2015, 07:06 AM
Hey Rc Athlete, you might remember me from Youtube. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnwAZCR9NQH7KDbEQm1NBBQ) You've definitely shined a lot of light on rc boat fishing.
As far as boat range, what I noticed is that the typical range I've seen with a rc boat is 300-400 feet. The problem is that after 200 feet or so the boat looks very, very small. Yes you can get the boat out far, but you would need a very calm day, and binoculars to see your boat. I remember getting one of my boats out so far I could not see it anymore...

Fishing with an rc boat can be fun but also a functional way to fish. I talked to a guy that uses the rc boat for the line and bait delivery for Muskie.
With a line release on the boat you can go after the big fish.

A good example here of the line release and pulling in the fish with the boat. It was on Animal Planet a couple of years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkWGzLDMs80

58thecat
02-22-2015, 08:53 AM
My son had a RC boat that he would bring out when we were fishing just to have something to do if the bite was not on. So one day I took 3 feet of line tied it to the boat and attached a 00 five of diamonds, told him to boat amongst the weeds, well I tell ya when the gator hit the RC boat became a big bobber, it works and was entertaining too:)

KUDUHNTR
02-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Hey,

I bet this would be cheaper than a new boat and motor!
I might just have to try this, looks like fun guys!

EZM
02-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Forget planer boards ....... get a couple RC boats and a good release !!!1

spinN'flyfish
02-22-2015, 08:39 PM
very cool! where you did guys get the bristol bay, she looks great! Welcome to the forum