PDA

View Full Version : Problems in the Buy & Sell

qwert
02-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Problems in the Buy & Sell.

A new problem that I have experienced lately.

I have recently responded by PM to several ads (for desirable and expensive goods with vague and incomplete descriptions) requesting clarification and more information regarding the goods for sale, and then received multiple replies asking for my Email address and offering to send photos that were not requested (or probably useful). My requests to communicate by PM are followed by increasingly insistent requests for Email address and promises to send information that was not requested or could easily be sent in a PM, specifically requested information is never provided.
I suspect and fear that these ads may be phishing for personal information, or may be an attempt to tempt me to open an Email or photo that could contain malicious code or a virus.

Old and continuing problems that demonstrate the seller's lack of respect for buyers.

Sellers continue to fail to properly identify goods in the title line.
Titles like ‘a few for sale’ ‘or cleaning up the shop’ force the reader to open the ad to see what is for sale. Sometimes there is some information in the first few lines of the ad which can be seen in the preview, but usually not. I usually bypass these ads without reading.

Sellers continue to fail to properly identify goods in the body of the ad.
I suspect that sometimes this is because the seller just does not know and is not prepared to do the research to find out.

Sellers continue to fail to properly identify the seller’s location.
I will normally only purchase face to face, and should not need to PM just to ask for location.
I do not care what the price is ‘shipped’, and don’t care about the sellers desire for electronic funds transfer.

Sellers continue to post lists of items for sale then
force buyers to wade through several additional postings of sold items and compare with the original list to determine if an item is still available.

Sellers continue to post prices similar or higher than new, and then say ‘low ball offers will not be answered’. Don’t worry; any ad with a ‘no low ball’ instruction will get no actual offers from me.

Sellers continue to repeatedly bump old ads containing over priced or unwanted items.
These are often the same ads that say price is ‘firm’ or ‘no low ball offers’, maybe the market is trying to tell the seller something. It seems obvious to me that an ad with multiple bumps is not in great demand and is probably overpriced.

kens
02-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Haven't experienced any of what you refer to as new problems.

Seen lots of what you describe under old problems! Makes you wonder if they really want to sell!

I've successfully bought some things off this diet as well as CGN, sold some as well. Issues for sure but works better than Kijiji!

bat119
02-10-2015, 08:26 PM
I do find the local sale only ads with no location annoying I have sent a few PM's to find out the location with no reply. You don't need to post an address just a general location/area.

Hydro1
02-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Haven't experienced any of what you refer to as new problems.

Seen lots of what you describe under old problems! Makes you wonder if they really want to sell!

I've successfully bought some things off this diet as well as CGN, sold some as well. Issues for sure but works better than Kijiji!

Agreed.
I dont bother with kijiji anymore. If i cant find what i want on AO i will just buy it new!

Qwert"Sellers continue to fail to properly identify goods in the title line.
Titles like ‘a few for sale’ ‘or cleaning up the shop’ force the reader to open the ad to see what is for sale."
I think forcing the potential buyer to open your ad is the point.

jungleboy
02-10-2015, 08:30 PM
The first part of your message I can understand , but the second part is kind of how buy sell works. People put things for sale for a price and those interested in paying that price or close to it will respond . Low ballers are just annoying people that seem to feel that if it's for sale the seller must be desperate and ripe for the picking so to speak.
If you don't want to buy then don't bother looking ,it's pretty straight forward.

Dacotensis
02-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Get a phone number and away you go.

I met a member today.
He had an item, I inquired about it, he responded with a phone number.
I phoned him and we were off!

If there is no location in the sellers advert, report the thread and it will be dealt with.
If the title is "cleaning up the room" or some other bs title, report it and it will be dealt with.

I've found the mods to be actually pretty astute at dealing with these dull pencils.

An ad with multiple bumps is not an indicator of over priced.
It could be a limited desire for that particular item.
Not every item that gets put up for sale is a "must sell" scenario.
Many guys will hold out for the price they want on an item because they know it's worth it.

You firearms guys are crazy btw. ;)

But I understand many of your frustrations.

When I sell on kijiji, if someone emails me instead of calling, I just ignore.
If they really want the item they will eventually phone. I'm not desperate to sell to them.
When they are ready to get in the truck I have them phone me and when they are at the gas station they phone me again.
That way I'm not hanging around for a dead beat.

I have sold many items to guys and shipped it for them, but I would not buy that way.
Crazy!